Closed Solved

Sound Card Noob Seeks Help!

I recently bought a new headset, Audio-Technica ATH-AD 700 and had a question regarding sound cards. Sounds cards are something I've never really dealt with or put thought into when it comes to my headphones. Is there a certrain sound card that would amplify my sound and make it sound even better? Kind of like graphics cards to graphics. Or can I simply plug my headset and I get the best results from there? How important are sound cards to the sound that is produced? I do play some FPS video games, as well as listen to music.

I tried to find what type of sound card I have, all I found was the following:
Name: High Definition Audio
Manufacturer: Microsoft

and

Name: High Definition Audio
Manufacturer: Nvidia

Would investing into a sound card produce noticeable results from just plugging my headphones into the ports in my graphics card? If so what sound cards would fit well with my headset/are just good, reliable sound cards to pick up?

Thanks for any help!
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sound card noob seeks help
  1. Sound cards come very very cheep like the ones already on most motherboards... or get extremely expensive for those DJ mixers out there. Post your mother board and $ willing to spend, and determine whether your onboard system is adequate to your ears or not. Most people aren’t bothered by onboard sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_card
    just a good read
  2. My motherboard is a Biostar hH61MGC. My current audio sounds good, I feel like it sound better but I have no prior sound experience to know what I'm missing out on/how much better it can sound with a sound card. I've always used motherboard sound with average headphones. My sound is decent at the moment, I guess I'm trying to gauge how much of a difference I would notice if I invest in a sound card. I'd probably be willing to spend $80-90.
  3. Best answer
    ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 80$ best you can get for that $ range. Some of the lesser asus models will still be better then on board sound.

if onboard sound was a car it would be a pinto.... the ASUS Xonar DX a mustang GT & the ASUS Xonar Essence STX 185$ would be a Shelby gt500

all dependent on quality of headset and or speakers of corse
  4. Best answer selected by zex_vex55.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Gaming Headsets Graphics Cards Components