augtet

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hello,
I want to find our if there are system units that have onboard graphic processing units rather than buying an external graphic processor in order to enhance functionality of some software applications

G

Click Start.
On the Start menu, click Run.
In the Open box, type "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.
The DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens. Click the Display tab.
On the Display tab, information about your graphics card is shown in the Device section. You can see the name of your card, as well as how much video memory it has.

randomkid

Distinguished

Yes. many systems now have integrated graphics processors:
Most of Intel i-Core processors have built in graphics processors that can be used when paired with proper motherboard with chipsets that begins with H & Z (not P).
All AMD APU's or accelerated processing units have integrated graphics processors.
Some motherboards have integrated graphics chips that provides display output even if the processors does not have built in graphics.

What is your requirement, anyway?

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

The quickest way to tell is to see if the board actually has a VGA output. More than likely it does.

Some processors and very few of them don't have onboard graphics.

For instance the first generation of i-Core processors did not. I have an i7 960 and it has no onboard graphics.

It's never the physical motherboard that carries the onboard graphics controller but the actual processor itself.

Check to see if your computer actually has a VGA port by default and plug it in to a monitor and see if it works.

The way you phrased the question, I'm guessing that you are buying, So:
All the newer Intel Sandbridge (SB) and Ivybridge (IB) CPU have an integrated GPU (iDGP).
Easy to tell, the numbers start with i3/i5/i7 followed buy a 4 digit number (if it has a "k" at the end it means you can overclock the CPU).
EX i5-2500k is a Sandybridge CPU with a integrated HD3000 GPU, and is overclockable.
i5-3570 would be an IB CPU, Not meant for Overclocking

Intels iDGPs, in order of performance:
HD2000, low end SB CPUs
HD2500, Low end IB CPUs
HD3000, High end SB CPUs (around $150 and up)
HD4000, IB CPUs above about $225

All are OK for general computing, and "LOW" end Games
Only the HD3000 & HD4000 allow decent performance for midlevel games, some High end games can be played if settings are set to "low"

Most all Hseries and Z series MBs have a backplane with a HDMI output. (caution, there are a few Zeries that DO NOT carry the iDGP output to the back, ie first editions of Gigabyte Z68 MBs). P-Series MBDO NOT carry the Video out to the back panel, These allow for only Overclocking the CPU.

Most "low" cost intel based Laptops, and desktops are configured this way - They omit a dedicated GPU (dGPU) to cut cost.
AMD has a simular lineup