Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 SLB8V 2.83 12M 1333 Quad Core (Xeon X3370 SLB8X)

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
Hello,

If I purchase the Xeon processor; will my bios be okay with it?

I have a Lenovo M58p -7483XG4 a small deskop with a E8400 inside. It suppose to be able to do a Q9650.

I have question able the heat sink and fan combo. Can I still use my existing fan and heatsink? If not; is there an aftermarket that is quieter?

Solution

yes but the q9700 barely matches the performance of a new $100 cpu, get with the times. If you spent $400 on a new motherboard cpu and ram you would get something significantly faster. Understand?

here is a comparison of a q9650 compared to a newer i5 2400 which goes for around $160...

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Yeah, I DON'T THINK SO. No offense, but A) Most pre-assembled system's motherboards only support the processors they come with, B) Its ridiculous to consider using a Xeon for anything that isn't server based or for serious productivity. Plus, does Xeon even use 775?

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
There are numerous ebay sellers making these statements:

"These processors are GUARANTEED to work with ANY motherboard that would normally support a Q9000-series Core 2 Quad.

!!! Please Note you may need a BIOS update before running this chip, depending on when you bought your board !!!
If your system can already rund a Q9000 -series Core 2 Quad, then you should be good to go."

Are they wrong. These sellers are in the recycling of CPUs and I called a couple of them to tell them that Tom's Hardware forum said that they are wrong and will not work. They said that it does work and they do it all the time swapping the two CPU in their own desktops.

Who is right?

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
Decided to up the ante and go for the top of the line sort of speaking! Xeon X3380! Hope it will be compatible! Or I maybe out $350 smackers plus shipping costs! But life is a game and play it conservatively; you loose out on the speed and thrill! I may loose out on the $$$ if I am wrong! It is exciting now; but if the CPU is not compatible; I will be stuck!

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012

Well, if you go on Ebay for example; theses old CPUs are going like hotcakes. The Q7900 is running about $400 used! I'm consider myself lucky I did not buy one when it was first out at close to $750 with dealer market of $150 over the retail price since they were so much in demand and where very hard to come by!

I wanted this CPU for over 3 years and I going to get it while I can find it and it is dirty cheap!

yes but the q9700 barely matches the performance of a new $100 cpu, get with the times. If you spent $400 on a new motherboard cpu and ram you would get something significantly faster. Understand?

here is a comparison of a q9650 compared to a newer i5 2400 which goes for around $160: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/49?vs=363

notice how the i5 absolutely stomps the q9650 in every single aspect. Its old tech, only suckers pay that inflated price for it.

Solution

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012

I already spend over that for my SSD and memory upgrade. You have to remember that if you change machines; all the software would have to be repurchase like Windows, Office Suite, etc... since they are only license for the machine -(motherboard) and one would loose big time in that department. For me it would around $3,500 to do such a change over.

That is one primary reason corporations do not change machines for 5 year or more! They get kill with the triple take down of buying the new machines, paying the cost of the software and then having to install it back on the new machines - with enterprise licenses. It easy if you talking about 100 machines but if you looking at 20,000 - it a major project!