Cpu thermal paste

hey guys I have a question about my cpu. So when I was putting together my pc I couldn't get my aftermarket pc cooler on properly until I installed my motherboard onto my case. So i put on my stock cooler for i5 3570k and held my motherboard by the stock cooler to hook up the motherboard. So when i took off my stock cooler the day after, I realised that the stock thermal paste was applied. I did not have any proper thermal paste removal liquid so i just re applied my after market cpu thermal paste. Its been a week and nothing out of the ordinary has happened. Am I safe? What do you guys think? Btw my after market cooler is the hyper 212 evo and the thermal paste I used was the one that came with the aftermarket cooler.
16 answers Last reply
More about thermal paste
  1. Did you wipe off the old paste at all? If you wiped it off as best you could, I'm sure its fine. BTW to remove thermal pase you can use rubbing alcohol and it works great.
  2. no i didn't wipe it off ..........
  3. Nt the best of ideas , monitor your temps , if they start creeping up , clean off old paste and re apply new . What are your temps now ? Under 30c idle and under 70c stressed to the max ?
  4. ArcticWonder said:
    Did you wipe off the old paste at all? If you wiped it off as best you could, I'm sure its fine. BTW to remove thermal pase you can use rubbing alcohol and it works great.

really rubbing alcoho; ? I thought it was not to be used .
  5. jerry6 said:
    really rubbing alcoho; ? I thought it was not to be used .

Rubbing alcohol is some of the best stuff you can use, so long as its 70% alcohol. I used it on my processors, I get the cleanest finish.
  6. payturr said:
    Rubbing alcohol is some of the best stuff you can use, so long as its 70% alcohol. I used it on my processors, I get the cleanest finish.

Are you implying its bad to use HIGHER than 70 or LOWER? Cuz i use 90%
  7. well, nothing terrible might happen, but it defeats the purpose of having aftermarket thermal paste and a cooler for that matter. check your temps, if it seems out of the ordinary, then you should probably clean and reapply. i am going to do that in a few weekends myself with those same parts. except ill be using ic diamond 7
  8. ArcticWonder said:
    Are you implying its bad to use HIGHER than 70 or LOWER? Cuz i use 90%

HIGHER = BETTTER
  9. what can I use to monitor my temps? I can only see my cpu temp in my bios after restarting my pc and pressing del at boot. Btw I have a z77x D3H motherboard
  10. Hardwaremonitor can read temps
  11. jerry6 said:
    HIGHER = BETTTER

K.
  12. does anyone else know of any software that I can use to monitor my cpu temp?
  13. CPU-Z = it's freeware friend! It also tells you your current clockspeeds and a lot of specifications regarding your hardware :3
  14. Hey buddy, I pretty much made the same 'mistake' on my 2500K+212 EVO. Temps were pretty normal honestly, 31c idle and never 55c+ load OC'd @4.0GHz. This was after applying TIM that came with the HSF. Although I have now cleansed and reapplyed AS5 with far better results. So I would say it's safe for the time being, but certainly not for durability/reliability. Change that TIM if you haven't done so already!

As for monitoring, CPU-Z (as mentioned) works great for overall CPU details and CoreTemp works great for overall CPU temps. It monitors temps of all four cores as well as each cores' load %. These two are all I need for my CPU monitoring. Gl and have fun with your CPU :)

Link -- http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
  15. I downloading cpu Z but I don't know how to check my cpu temp. err I don't see it saying it anywhere.
  16. Downloaded* Okay I downloaded something cpu temp.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Thermal Compound Motherboards