ASUS GTX 680 TOP edition

TroyTheGreat

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I have the opportunity to get an ASUS gtx 680 direct cu II TOP edition for $580 including shipping. do you think it is worth it to spend $40 more to get it now since it is so rare? or should I wait to get it from newegg whenever they have them back in stock? Nvidia seems to be struggling to keep up with their demand

Side note, is the TOP version really better than the OC version? I watched newegg's video on them that said the main difference was that ASUS individually tests each card, and the ones that can clock higher are used in the TOP version, while the ones that cannot take so much are used for the OC version. If this is the case and the TOP version is more reliable, shouldn't I just get the TOP version if I plan to overclock?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121634

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
This is an awesome card, and U$ 580 isn't so bad... that asus DirectCu2 version is indeed very good, i would say go for it before that oportunity goes away. that card has a very nice cooling system it is not just for overclocking, it will also run ver quiet and very cool.

GTX 670 is a bit slower than GTX 680, you won't feel the difference and you'll get the top version too for $100 less.
If you wanna go GTX 680, the Asus seems to be a good choice, there's a great EVGA GTX 680 on newegg too and overclocks well but the Top has better cooling.

Strawzza

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I just got an ASUS 670 DCU II (Not the TOP version) and its a killer overclocker. Maxes out at 1297 mhz stable with 7.4 ghz ram. Just because they specifically pull fast chips for the TOP version, doesn't mean that the rest of them are bad. I'm not sure what the average non TOP OC is, but I'd bet you have a pretty high chance of receiving a great card either way.

As for the extra kick, at 1.3 ghz a 670 beats a reference 680 handily, and when both are OC the difference is close to or under 4%. Not something you'd notice, most likely. I personally couldn't justify the extra 150 you'd spend on that 680 for only a frame and a half. Plus, it means further down the road your potential SLI setup will be even cheaper and just as powerful.

If you are not inclined to overclock the card yourself (main reason why I see people buying TOP cards), guides are very easy to find at this point and 6xx overclocks are completely foolproof. With the voltage locked, the most you'll suffer are a couple driver crashes when you hit your limit, then you dial it back a few mhz and you're gold. Only thing you have to realize is that whatever you set your boost clock to, the card will boost much higher. I was a little disappointed that my card was stuck at 1175 mhz until I realized that the card at that setting was actually boosting to 1.3 ghz.

Whatever you decide, the 6xx series are just awesome cards... Personally, tho, the 670 gets my vote. My two cents.