60GXP and KT7A-RAID

G

I just assembled a computer with an Abit KT7A-RAID (RAID to be used later) and an IBM 60GXP 40GB HDD. My problem is the BIOS only recognizes 33GB of that drive. I downloaded IBMs disk manager and I still only get 33MB to use. Before I load up this system as a dual boot (Win2K and Mandrake Linux 8) with all the application software, I would like to have the extra 7GB recognized and available.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I have been trying to resolve this issue for days (not much hair left...).

Go to Fdisk.
Option 4
See the HDD partition details and post them here.

<b><font color=blue>Change the</font color=blue><font color=red> sig of</font color=red><font color=green> the week!</font color=green> :tongue: </b>

G

The results are:

Display Partition Information

Current fixed disk drive: 1

Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
C: 1 A PRI DOS 322248 UNKNOWN 100%

Total disk space is 32248 Mbytes (1 Mbytes = 1048576 bytes)

Running fdisk allows me to partition the drive anyway I like but, only up to the first 33GB.

G

Halt. I've determined the problem. I'm a newbie with these newer drives.

There is no problem with the KT7A or the 60GXP. The 60GXP is doing what it was designed to do.

After talking with the person I purchased the drive from (he's been away for the last few days), it appears he changed the jumper settings on back of the drive from the factory settings to one that will clip the drive to 32GB. Apparrently, he tested the drive with one of his motherboards which had the BIOS limitation and I effectively bought the "floor" model. For my troubles he promised me a good deal on the next drive I purchase.

Lesson Learned: The few bucks I saved in money, I lost in a couple of days in time. It's not worth it unless you've already learned that lesson or have the time to burn.

G

as I say everytime
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i had the same problem... 1 only 15 of the 16 parts were enabled... apparently you get a faster drive that way... i dont use the entire drive so i keep the last sector off...

if in doubt blame microsoft...