Bobstrauss

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Just installed this in a desktop after purchasing from NewEgg. Seemed fine for the first 15 minutes, then the fan kept getting louder and louder. Sounds like an aircraft taking off. I think it was getting out of control, as I started to hear a high-pitched sound.

This all happened after installing the drivers that were sent with the CPU. Should I send it back to NewEgg, or is there something I am overlooking?

Bobstrauss

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
I am using the stock AMD cooler that came with it. Looks like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/amd-fx-8150-stock-cooler-/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/$T2eC16hHJGYE9nookQUwBQ(Q7GGN+w~~60_35.JPG

Of course I removed the plastic, and it came with thermal paste already applied. It was secured well, and even the Geek Squad at Best Buy determined it was installed correctly (when they diagnosed my PSU that was DOA).

I'm worried that this unit is either a lemon, or that I made a huge mistake in buying a chip/fan that produces noise like a hair dryer.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

NO IDEA BUT THE OTHER THREAD THE GUY BOUGHT AT NEWEGG AND THAT IS THE COOLER THEY SUPPLIED WITH THE COMPUTER , SUPPOSE IF THEY BUY LOTS THEY CAN GET THE CPU FOR $5.99 CHEAPER WHO KNOWS .

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

That is the right cooler for the cpu

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
The stock cooler is loud as hell once the temps rise over 35c , the fan with short straight blades makes noise , the old athlon x2 or opteron x3 had a 9 blade fan with curved longer blades and it was quiet , i swapped fans of the old opteron cooler onto my 1100t to quiet it down a bit

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
The fans on the stock coolers are made by Delta, they make fans that push a hell lot of air, they also spin up to high speeds and create lots of noise.

That doesn't look like the 8150's stock cooler, it looks like a HS for an older CPU.

Here is the 8150's stock cooler -
6264149472_7215d13441_z.jpg

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

that is the old fan , since pII they have the short straight blades and only 7 not 9 blades

G

It's a hot CPU. Even my 1055T ( I believe they have the same HS, since AMD isn't too well known to re-designing them.) Those things just run hot (125W CPU after all). Swap it out with something better if you can't handle the noise. Also, the stock thermal past (I think it's Shin Etsu, silicon based) is good. But if you want something better, there are lots of options for not much money. But rest your mind, your CPU is fine. It's. Just. Loud. As most things in life, if you throw money at it, it will improve.

Just my 2 cents.