Will the FX 6300 Bottleneck the HD 7950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeusAres

Distinguished
Alright, I just need to know if the FX 6300 will bottleneck the HD 7950. I'm looking to build a new computer, and I'm trying to refrain from spending more than I have to. I'm looking to play games such as Battlefield 3, Crysis, Borderlands 2, Skyrim (w/ mods) and others. I don't care about benchmarks; I know Intel smokes AMD. I'm solely looking for real world performance. One more thing, I don't want a dual core processor. I have come to understand that some games are greatly affected by this; for example, BF3's campaign was missing a character when run on a dual core processor.

Here's the build I have thus far. I would like to keep it below $750ish, but I cannot exceed $800. I have to make room for the Razor Deathadder gaming mouse. Other than that, all opinions and suggestions are welcome. I love learning.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $732.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-08 21:03 EST-0500)

Solution
It really depends on the game but with that setup you shouldn't have trouble playing games on high settings.

Edit: Now that I think of it, overclock it and you should be fine. Consider what I said above if at stock clocks.

socialfox

Distinguished
It really depends on the game but with that setup you shouldn't have trouble playing games on high settings.

Edit: Now that I think of it, overclock it and you should be fine. Consider what I said above if at stock clocks.

Solution
Should be fine with that CPU. I have two FX rigs a FX-8120 and a FX8350 I have found the FX CPU to be very efficient for gaming. I built a FX-6300 for a friend of mine with a Sapphire HD 7950 and have not found any problems with it he plays a lot of games including all of the games in your post and all play very well. He has not overclocked his CPU at all. I have a i5 rig and both of my FX rigs kicks it ass in any game I have. When I finish rebuilding my intel rig I will see if it still holds true but for now my AMD rigs are king.

DeusAres

Distinguished
Hm, thanks for the info guys. I think I'm gonna give overclocking a try once I've built the computer and get everything up and running. I'll probably shoot for 4.5 GHz for the processor. I hear it overclocks really well with the hyper 212 evo. I may try to overclock the GPU as well. I'm not exactly sure how to do this. Do you guys have any guides you could recommend me?

DeusAres

Distinguished
Yeah, I've heard of MSI Afterburner. I'll probably use it. As far as my processor goes, I haven't found many tutorials on the FX 6300. I guess it's because it's fairly a fairly new processor.

Is the process for overclocking the CPU similar to that of overclocking say a 2500k or 3570k? I'm really new to this kind of stuff. Maybe I should look around on here and read some stickies.

Anywho, I'm gonna give this thread some time to gain a few more responses. Haven't really gathered all the information I need yet. Once again, I greatly appreciate the responses.

DeusAres

Distinguished
Yeah, I know it isn't the best CPU for gaming. But I'm sure it can more than hold its own until I can afford to upgrade. I'll probably end up waiting for Haswell's release to upgrade.

I figured I'd have to start somewhere. This way, when I upgrade I won't have to worry about getting a PSU, case and HDD; I can just re-use most of these parts and sink my upgrade budget into a new motherboard, CPU and GPU.

IMO I don't think that is smart. Haswell will be out next year. I don't think it is wise to spend hundreds of dollars now then sink more money in a year. Remember if you do that and end up getting Haswell you are going to have to get a new motherboard along with the CPU. If prices stay the same then you are looking at around 220 dollars for a Haswell I5 and another 100+ on a good motherboard (lets say for this 120 dollars). That will be around 340 dollars. You might also have to get new RAM too but that will depend on the motherboards. Is it really worth it to spend hundreds now then next year spend another 340 dollars to switch to Intel? IMO it's not I would save and just go with the Intel build

DeusAres

Distinguished
If I keep playing the waiting game for the next and best to come out, I'm gonna be waiting a long time. Besides, I'm ready to get into PC gaming. Consoles are beginning to annoy me. I don't like the fact that every time I start up a game it freezes.

I may not get Haswell as soon as it's released. I may wait; it just depends on the reviews and performance gains as well as my needs. I want a PC that can handle Skyrim on max settings as well as a few mods. It may even be another two years before I upgrade my system. Who knows...

You also forget the fact that I can re-sell my FX 6300 and motherboard. That'll knock the price of the upgrades down quite a bit. The sandy bridge/ivy bridge processors are still running strong as well. If a good enough price drop occurs, I may switch to that series instead. The i5 2500k/3570k will more than serve my needs. I may even just stick with the FX 6300. It all depends on how well my needs are met. I'm merely throwing out ideas; nothing is set in stone.

sunnk

Distinguished
that cpu wont bottleneck that gpu and its the best cpu for price $100 less then i5 and it is near in performance to i5.it is a good cpu for gaming i m using a fx 6100 and i can play every game at max with my gpu.btw go for fx 6300 it will handle the hd 7950 without any overclocking its a good cpu no need to overclock it.overclock it when u need more performance.seriously my cpu usage while playing bf3 doesnt goes above 50 - 60% even with some setup running:)go for the fx 6300 gooddluck u will be happy with it believe me all customers who have owned that cpu are very happy.:)

sunnk

Distinguished

why are you telling everyone to go with intel?yeah it will be a good advice if u told someone to get a i5 3570k instead of fx 6100 or 8120 but instead of fx 6300?i dont think so that will be a good advice.fx 6300 will be always ahead in price/performance keep in mind.first use one fx then say anything against about that cpu i also thought that its a bad cpu but after my freind bought a fx 4100 and after seeing its real performanc i bought fx 6100 and i m a hardcore gamer and fx 6100 clears my need of gaming.seriously i havent seen u giving any positive reply for amd fx cpu's since one year.

socialfox

Distinguished
Hey what resolution are you playing at? For me with Skyrim at ultra settings with the resolution of 1600x900, with a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition and HD 7770. I also have a few high resolution armor packs and my FPS is always above 30. Your probably good with the FX-6300 since it offers similar or better performance than my processor.

*long time no see sunnk, how goes the playboy pizza? :D

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $752.98
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-09 09:11 EST-0500)

Smoking good time.

=)

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

No, the i3 3225 trades blows with the top of the line FX at stock.

The i5 smokes any amd in games at any overclock, at STOCK.

Cpu matters more than people think it does in gaming.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/134999-measuring-the-impact-of-cpu-choice-on-gaming-performance

Well then if you need to get something now than I would get the Piledriver and be done with it. I still don't think it is worth it to build an AMD computer now then get rid of everything in 10 to 12 months and do a Haswell build.

Because AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver suck in single threaded programs like gaming. That is a fact and it is backed up by tons of benchmarks. If a persons main purpose is gaming I'm not going to recommend an AMD build. No one said that AMD CPU's can't play games but with that said I'm not going to recommend a lower-performing CPU specifically for gaming because you'd prefer we ignore all the problems AMD CPU's have in single threaded programs like gaming. Your position is that we should recommend lower-performing processors for a specific task because benchmarks don't flatter your favorite brand? That's what I would call biased and fanboyism. Also the only reason anyone even mentioned Intel in this thread is becuase the poster said he was going to get a Piledriver now then switch to Intel in a year. I was explaining that that is a waste of money IMO and he would be better off saving up and getting the better CPU right from the start.

DeusAres

Distinguished

Oh my, that's a tough one. Nice build. I would really like to have the option to overclock. How much of a performance difference is there between the i5 3450 and an overclocked 3570k? Will the FPS difference be that great? Also, how much would the i5 3450 help in games such as Skyrim in comparison to the FX 6300? Can anyone link me to some benchmarks? I also plan on doing light video editing/rendering. How well will the i5 handle this?

Hey what resolution are you playing at? For me with Skyrim at ultra settings with the resolution of 1600x900, with a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition and HD 7770. I also have a few high resolution armor packs and my FPS is always above 30. Your probably good with the FX-6300 since it offers similar or better performance than my processor.

I will be playing on my 42inch HDTV. I'm fairly certain it has a resolution of 1920x1080.

sunnk

Distinguished

hey there :hello: i m not getting time to be here because of cod 4 multiplayer.i m using roccat aim assist there and hacking it gives me so much fun haha also i m abusing people and saying i dont hack lol :lol: btw have a nice day!

the fx 6300 will be far better then your phenom becuz i also have a fx 6100 and previously i had a 955 be a year ago but i was more in encoding and all that stuff thats why i upgraded to fx 6100 and you know my fx 6100 doesnt goes above 50% while playing bf3 and running a game setup and never goes above 35c with stock cooler i dont have to overclock it because it is giving me that much performance which i need :sol: . fx 6100 is about 20% better in encoding and all that stuff then 955be.i loved my 955be but its not with me now:( and seriously the fx 6100 is the best processer i have ever bought its amazing in multitasking its better then my freinds i5 2500k in multitasking but looses in most of the benchmarks and real performance but i still love this in my country it is about half of price of i5 2500k.

socialfox

Distinguished

Hahahah :lol:
Have fun winning in COD, anyways hope you have a nice day as well friend!

- Socialfox :hello:

sunnk

Distinguished

really do you have a fx series processer?seriously i love fx series processers.would you believe in real worlds performance instead of reviews?i have many freinds but they have old pcs with athlons and pentiums my one freind has a4 processer lol which sucks.

who said to u bulldozer sucks?reviews.i mostly believe in real worlds performance before using it i m not poking any thing.my one friend has i3 one has fx 4100 believe me or not the fx 4100 beats i3 2100 in multitasking.yeah i know single threaded performance sucks but price?i have tested both pc's gaming by just seeing fraps fps in all games and u know what they both perform same in game using a hd 5770 the i3 was just ahead in skyrim and left 4 dead 2 by 1-5 fps which doesnt matters to me even bf3 fps was same at 1366x768 res.i bought fx 6100 by seeing the fx 4100's performance otherwise i was thinking to collect money and going with i5 2500k with z68 mobo which will cost me about double of 6100's build.

last thing i m not a fanboy of intel either amd i m a fanboy of performance.

intel cant beat amd in price/performance.

amd cant beat intel in core performance thats it.

:pfff: No I don't own a Bulldozer or Piledriver and I don't want to. I look at benchmarks, benchmarks don't lie and are unbiased unlike AMD fanboys who try to convince me that thier processor doesn't suck nut's in gaming. You can talk all you want about real world preformance and spew crap like (the eye can't tell more than 60fps) all you want but in the end the I5 and I7 stomp the Bulldozer and Piledriver in single threaded programs like games.

DeusAres

Distinguished

This is the problem with fanboys, both Intel and AMD alike. They claim to only care about performance, yet they post stupid shiz such as this. I only asked a simple question guys. I don't want any nonsensical arguments on this thread. Yes, we know that Intel beats AMD's ass according to the numbers, but if I can get similar performance for half the cost, then that could be better for me.

Once again, I thank you guys for the information you have presented me with. It's been helpful in my decision. I do believe I'm gonna splurge a bit and get the i5 3570k. I think it would be a better choice in the long run. That processor should last me for many years to come. It's all the power I need. In the meantime, I can worry about having to upgrade the GPU (which should be able to hold it's own for a year or two in the games I play). However, I'm not saying the FX 6300 would be a bad decision either. I just don't particularly like AMD's architecture. They claim it's a 6 or 8 core CPU, but in reality it is pretty much 3 cores and 4 cores with hyperthreading enabled, respectively. I also plan to play quite a bit of Skyrim. I've come to learn that AMD's processors cause a significant loss in frame rates compared to Intel's processors. If I plan on adding lots of mods, I'll want all the processor power and frame rates I can get.

One last question: What do you guys think of the ASRock Z77 Pro3 motherboard? It has all the features I need for around $100. I will not be overclocking very much. At the very most, I may try for 4.5 GHz. And I will not be doing SLI/Crossfire.

And here's a closer look at my revised build...

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $842.41
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-13 09:42 EST-0500)

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
^^ I get pretty much 60fps Solid on Skyrim with my shitbucket 965 at stock clocks
at 1080p with max settings. So I wouldn't worry about it too much, pretty much any of those CPUs you choose will hold the 60fps mark. As long as you have a good GPU.

DeusAres

Distinguished

Lol, not bad. I'll give it some more thought. I still have a couple of months before I have to make any decisions anyways. Who knows, maybe I'll come across a Phenom II x6 1100T in the future for under $150, lmao. Here's to hoping. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.