Sign in with
Your question

Console Convert back to PC - Have i done it right?

Last response: in Systems
July 27, 2012 11:20:23 AM

To all the Gurus of PC Systems - After months of research (read drooling on the PC graphics), i had decided to convert back to my first love i.e. PC Gaming.

I have gotten the following components and i need your advice if i have done it right and am on the right track. My biggest inspiration was to be able to play Witcher 2 on ultra settings (no surprise i am sure) so all other games would work flawlessly anyway :) 

Purchase Date: July 2012
Budget Range: $1500 -$1700
System Usage: Gaming only
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe - Later
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (for all games, highest settings and nothing less)

My Rig:

CPU: i5-3570k
Mobo: Asus Z77-V
RAM: Corsair 8GB-1600, Low Profile
HDD1 (for OS): SSD Corsair Force 3 120 GB
HDD 2 (for Data): Seagate 2 TB Baracuda - 7200 RPM
PSU: Corsair 850 Watts Enthusiast - Bronze Cert.
Monitor: 24" Viewsonic 1080p - VX2453
Casing: Gigabyte Sumo Alpha
Optical: HP DVD Writer 1270
KB: Logitech Gaming G110
Mouse: Logitech Gaming G400
Sound: Creative SB Audigy

GPU: This is tricky, wanted to get a GTX 670 but due to non availability, parked the desired GPU and got a HD 7750 to hold the fort for a while until i can get the 670. Meanwhile, am also thinking of waiting a few months and splurging on a 690 when the price comes down (around $700 or so) to avoid SLI and get the same bang.

My humble questions:

1. Am i on the right track?
2. Is the rest of the system rock solid (i know my GPU is the weak link for now)?
3. Did i miss out on something?
4. And lastly, are my GPU plans the way to go?

More about : console convert back

July 27, 2012 11:28:10 AM

In your budget not OCing is a bit weird. Could you detail a bit more the name of your mobo?

m
l
July 27, 2012 11:36:50 AM

You are on your way for sure. I'm sure everyone will disagree with me, but why not put 16GB's of memory. It sounds like overkill but I'd go with that. And 670 is the way to go for sure. Everything else looks great. You should definitely OC it though considering it loves you more when you do... Cheers!
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2012 11:38:37 AM

Rise and Shine said:
In your budget not OCing is a bit weird. Could you detail a bit more the name of your mobo?

MOBO is a Z77 board from Asus (P8Z77-V), the reason i am not considering OCing anything is i dont want to mess with coolers. Any advice on the stock cooling (be it processor or GPU), i am game. Also, as a i read, the incremental impact within stock cooling constraints will be nothing above 4-5 fps which is not worth it IMO.
m
l
July 27, 2012 11:50:16 AM

giovanni86 said:
You are on your way for sure. I'm sure everyone will disagree with me, but why not put 16GB's of memory. It sounds like overkill but I'd go with that. And 670 is the way to go for sure. Everything else looks great. You should definitely OC it though considering it loves you more when you do... Cheers!

giovanni - i went with the intent to get a 16gb kit, but they only had 2 8gb kits so i thought i want to stay with a 'kit' vs going out out of it (maybe amateurish) - and also, since its a CAS 9 RAM, i thought it would be good for now and in a year or 2, i could get a 32 GB kit and trash this one... Do you recommend i get another 8gb kit of the same RAM (would that work as good as a 16gb kit)?

PS: I Live in Dubai so dont have the options like newegg/amazon etc. so options were slighly limited with the cost slightly higher of everything.
m
l
!