MSI N550GTX Causing Lockups

I have a problem I can't seem to isolate. My PC is from 2006, one of the original Core 2 Duo setups. I don't have the funds to replace it, and decided to upgrade my video card to replace the outdated 7600GT that came with it. My problem is that when I'm using the web browser (Firefox 12), occasionally I get a lockup where the screen turns purple with odd dotted lines through it, and the PC becomes completely unresonsive. I RMAed the card back to newegg after contacting MSI support, thinking it was defective. The replacement card still exhibits the same problem, but it's very infrequent. It doesn't happen when playing 3D games, and a friends of mine suggested that somehow 2D acceleration is causing a memory overflow, but I can't pin down what the problem is. I really like the performance of this card and don't want to have to send it back for a refund, so any help would be appreciated. I'm fairly knoweldgeable about PCs Here are more specifics of my PC:

Intel D975XBXLKR MB
3 GB DDR2 PC5300 RAM
Core 2 Duo @ 2.13 GHz

I'm not sure if the fact the MB has a PCI-E 1x slot and the 2x card is causing some kind of conflict or overflow. Another possibility is that I have a 380w power supply, and the specs say a 400w is needed (MSI said this wouldn't matter).
5 answers Last reply
More about n550gtx causing lockups
  1. Hello,

I'm quite certain it's your power supply. Especially if it's happening with 2 cards.

They do give the reccomended power wattage for a reason - yours is clearly not giving enough juice.

Those symptoms are definitely under-powered PSU issues.
  2. Borrow a PSU from a friend to test out the theory.
  3. When I spoke to MSI support, they said this wouldn't be causing the issue, because the load on the card would be greater when a game is running; the lockup doesn't happen when I'm playing one, only when doing something innocuous like web browsing. I think I may have traced the problem back to a USB game controller that was plugged in, I don't seem to recall this problem occuring when it was disconnected, but has happened twice today after leaving it in after playing an emulator. It's hard to tell, so I'll wait and see if this is what's triggering the errors.
  4. Kahlidan said:
    When I spoke to MSI support, they said this wouldn't be causing the issue, because the load on the card would be greater when a game is running; the lockup doesn't happen when I'm playing one, only when doing something innocuous like web browsing. I think I may have traced the problem back to a USB game controller that was plugged in, I don't seem to recall this problem occuring when it was disconnected, but has happened twice today after leaving it in after playing an emulator. It's hard to tell, so I'll wait and see if this is what's triggering the errors.

Try nvidia driver 296.10 instead of the 300.... series I had system freeze when watching flashplayer stream and NOT while gaming with the 301.42 driver :(
  5. Ok, I went through all my software versions trying to pin down what is causing this problem, and found something I hadn't noticed before. There was a version mismatch in the nvidia driver software which was only viewable on the Desktop Manager screen in the Control Panel. I downloaded the newest flash, java and nvidia driver suite and did a clean install-hopefully this will resolve this issue. It is the 302.x version, so hopefully I won't have the problem golfdk did.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics