Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HELP! Which side of the plug is positive???

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2012 12:50:03 AM

I have a Corsair 300R case. Love the look but it doesn't tell me which side of the HD LED connector is positive and which is negative. The directions for the Mobo (ASRock B75 Pro 3) tell me not to confuse the two! Is there a customary way to determine which side of a two prong HD LED connector is positive and which is negative? I'm stuck! :pt1cable: 

Thanks for any help!

More about : side plug positive

December 9, 2012 12:53:12 AM

You can tell by colour. Red or coloured is positive. Black or white is negative.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 12:55:10 AM

Are we talking about the front panel connectors or the board header itself? The manual states which is positive and which is negative, and for me my front panel connector states a + and - for each wire. Also consider what the mod has said if what I said does not apply to you, I will take a look at your manual and see what I can dig out for you.
Score
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 12:57:04 AM

Or just plug it in the board and see if it works, i can't remember if LEDs are polarity dependent.
Score

Best solution

December 9, 2012 1:00:35 AM

The HD LED writing should face the outer edge of the MB
December 9, 2012 1:01:12 AM

What Pyree said, there can't be anything else if it's made by any standards at all.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 1:01:42 AM

Ok just looked at the manual, at the end of the header on the board the hard drive + goes. The - should be beside it.

*I know everyone's envious of my santa claus themed persona for firefox :kaola: 
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 1:02:43 AM

jay_nar2012 said:
Or just plug it in the board and see if it works, i can't remember if LEDs are polarity dependent.

yes leds have polarity

it just wont light up if you plug it in the wrong way round--wont do anything to the led--then just turn it the other way round
Score
December 9, 2012 1:05:09 AM

jay_nar2012 said:

All diode are polarity dependent. In fact the purpose of a diode in a circuit is to restrict current to flow in one way and not the other :) 

Electronics 101.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 1:09:16 AM

Pyree said:
All diode are polarity dependent. In fact the purpose of a diode in a circuit is to restrict current to flow in one way and not the other :) 

Electronics basic 101.

Yes i know diodes restrict current from going one way and not the other, the light emitting bit made me think differently.
Score
December 9, 2012 1:10:36 AM

Nope, still a diode, but lite up when the polarity is right. And where is the PO?
Score
December 9, 2012 1:13:17 AM

Pyree said:
You can tell by colour. Red or coloured is positive. Black or white is negative.

Ufff. Both the little cables on both sides are both black. The only unique thing about the sides is if I plug one side in the writing on the little plug (which only says HDLED) will face the CPU. If I plug it in the other way the writing will face away from the CPU. The header is along the edge at the bottom of the motherboard below the PCI slots. I've checked the Corsair website and I don't see anything that helps. Nothing in the FAQs.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 1:15:42 AM

From what i read the writing should be facing away from the CPU towards the front of the case.
Score
December 9, 2012 1:16:53 AM

socialfox said:
Ok just looked at the manual, at the end of the header on the board the hard drive + goes. The - should be beside it.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s523/socialfox1/fP.jpg

*I know everyone's envious of my santa claus themed persona for firefox :kaola: 

Thanks Socialfox, I actually have the motherboard manual. The system panel header is labeled but the little connector leading from the panel on the case to the system panel header isn't labeled other than simply saying HD LED. :( 
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 1:18:50 AM

Gary Childress said:
Thanks Socialfox, I actually have the motherboard manual. The system panel header is labeled but the little connector leading from the panel on the case to the system panel header isn't labeled other than simply saying HD LED. :( 

I believe there is no harm in giving it a try and turning it on, if it doesn't turn on the first time just switch the cables around. Anyways as Jay_nar2012 has stated, install it facing away from the CPU. I've done that in all my builds and works just fine....never tried it the other way though....
Score
December 9, 2012 1:27:13 AM

Best answer selected by Gary Childress.
Score
!