MASSIVE disaster with Antec Case!

aydee

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
I've had an Antec 900 for the past few years and it has been a fantastic case, this week the fan has started to rattle a bit so I've been tapping it on the top of the case and that normally sorts it out so it wasn't really a big problem hitting the case slightly on the top every now and then to fix this problem. 30 minutes ago the same thing happened so I tapped the top of the case to stop the rattling and all of a sudden I hear something fall and my case starts shaking LIKE CRAZY, my entire desk is shaking like an earthquake no word of a lie. So I take the side of my PC off to see whats happened and I notice the top HUGE fan that most of you are probably familiar with, 2 of the fins have snapped off?? And I found them next to my PSU at the bottom of my case, this explains the reason for the case to shake extremely.. What can I DO!? I've turned the fan down to LOW and it still shakes like crazy. I don't think I'd be able to glue the fins back on because they are in an EXTREMELY awkward position. Is there any way to stop the fan from moving COMPLETLEY? I really don't want to spend money on a new case right now. What shall I do? All help appreciated!!

TheDocGG

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hi aydee,
A broken fan is no reason to replace a case. The fan could be temporarily disconnected, I believe that its a molex connector to power the large fan, just look inside for it. This is not ideal, so I would look at replacing the fan.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245308-10-antec-removal-200mm-replacement

That link is to a guide on tom's hardware on replacing the fan, and the one below is to the antec store, where you can pick up a replacement fan.

http://store.antec.com/Product/cooling-cooling_fan/big-boy-200/0-761345-75200-8.aspx

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
A cooling fan is only a few bucks,its really easy to replace even for a non-techie.....no need to buy a new case....its not a massive disaster...your turning a mole hill into a mountain....

aydee

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
I've unplugged the Molex to stop it, but now the back fan is rattling, it's not shaking my desk but it is making a huge annoying noise so I'll have to replace them both? Would my PC overheat if I turned the top 200mm fan AND back 125mm i beleive fan off? I'm running a GTX 580 and i7 960, CPU has Arctic cooling heatsinc.

TheDocGG

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Would my PC overheat if I turned the top 200mm fan AND back 125mm i believe fan off?

It wouldn't be advisable to run the pc with no case fans at all, but i believe that that case has 2 intake fans on the front, which are the same size as the smaller exhaust fan, at 120mm. The best thing to do would be to replace both fans as quickly as possible, however in the short term, it would be OK to replace the rear exhaust with one of the front panel ones.

I'm currently stripping down an old 900, the replacement is really easy. The only issue I have found, is that the unusual shape of the Bigboy 200 fan, means that it has to be replaced with another bigboy. The 120mm fan can be replace with any other 120 though, so that shouldn't be an issue.

If you want a replacement that will shift alot of air quietly, i can recommend this:
http://www.quietpc.com/gt-120-1450
I used it as an exhaust fan on that case for a good few years.