Sign in with
Your question

My New Build, Final version.

Last response: in Systems
July 27, 2012 12:55:54 PM

This is the final Version of my build.
If anyone think I should change anything, or add, please share your opinions and explain:

1) GPU: Asus Nvidia Geforce 670GTX DC2T

2) CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5Ghz s 1155 8MB, GPU Core (box)

3) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77

4) Case: Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Graphite Special Edition

5) PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750AXEU Gold AX750 Modular

6) RAM: 2X8GB G.Skill Ripjaw-X DDR3 1600Mhz

7) CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14

8)SSD: Crucial Solid Series 256GB CT256M4SSD2 SSD

Thank you.

More about : build final version

July 27, 2012 1:06:04 PM

YOU AGAIN :p 
Related resources
July 27, 2012 2:43:09 PM

well yeah... I figured as much
July 27, 2012 2:48:48 PM

@OP your build is fine.

If this was for heavy gaming you should go with an i5 instead of i7.

You are also gonna need a hdd to store files. You really only want your installs on the ssd.
July 27, 2012 4:09:41 PM

Why do you suggest i5 instead?
July 27, 2012 4:16:03 PM

because it performs the same or slightly better in games.
July 27, 2012 4:24:30 PM

Are you serious?
Do you have proof?
And no, I rather not OC it if I can.
So please don't go saying Highly OC i5 is better than i7.

Some other people told me that if you upgrade once in a blue moon, take the i7.

Also I thought that i7 got better futureproof and will make more future games.
July 27, 2012 4:35:21 PM

Lets look at it this way. It will be atleast 2 years till games start using Hyperthreading, even then they wont make games that way. Cause that will make everyone choose Intel to be able support games, cause AMD doesnt use Hyperthreading on there CPU's sooo stick with the sure thing called the i5 3570k save some money while your at it. end of discussion

To further add to the mix, Games are just starting to use all 4 cores, it will still be awhile till they are up to hyperthreading
July 27, 2012 4:39:26 PM

Well, should I change anything else llike mobo or stuff?
I was hoping that getting the 3770K i7 would be a unique upgrade and will make me rest easy with my hardware for many years to come.
July 27, 2012 4:41:02 PM

dont be ignorant. games havent even taken advantage of 4 cores. what makes 8 threads make games run faster.

in this bench, it compares the i5 2500k and the 2600k. its a roughly the same as a 3570k vs 3770k. they more or less are the same (1-3fps apart). in civilization v 1050p, the fps is 3x more on the i5 2500k. i7 beats it elsewhere but you arent even using those apps

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288
July 27, 2012 4:41:31 PM

If you want to "futureproof" your build for gaming in the future then you'd be looking at your GPU, not CPU, since your GPU would be the component doing the brunt of the work. An i7 is effectively the same as an i5 for gaming, so if you're sure you're not doing CAD or anything like that then I'd save the money.

Also, your PSU is kinda overkill. Even a 550W would do. I'd drop to a 650W from XFX, Corsair or Seasonic. That is, unless you plan on sli'ing.
July 27, 2012 4:45:14 PM

This truly brings me down.
I still have friends that are using Sandy Bridge i7 and are very pleased with it.

Last thing I want to see in 1 or 2 year is some article saying:
"the future of HT gaming is here, those who invested few years ago and purchased i7 3770k would find great improvement in performance"...

Makes me wonder if I should wait for the 4th gen of hardware..
July 27, 2012 4:46:14 PM

Oh and saying that games won't make advantage of it since then people will be forced to use Intel is silly.
Don't we have games that utilize 3d and Physx altho you must have Nvidia to use them?
take Batman, RE for example.
July 27, 2012 4:48:59 PM

those are nvidia stuff and nothing of intel

people use intel because they are faster in games. its like 10fps faster than fx chips or something of a large amount

i7s are good but totally not necesary for games. i bought my self a i7 3770k since all my chips have to last 10 years without getting too slow and it was on sale

you can wait for haswell but you will then find yourself in a situation where broadwell comes out and beats it
July 27, 2012 4:49:33 PM

ok if you wanna pay more for a crappier i7 then be my guest, we are just telling you that the i5 3570k is better for gaming.
July 27, 2012 4:53:20 PM

You bought it for future investment and yet you are telling me not to do so?
Are you that dissapointed of it?

And guys if i7 is this "crappy" than i5 can't be all flowers and sunshine.
My current cpu is Core2Extreme QX9650, it was good, but right now it severly bottleneck my GPU (also my RAM is slow and all..)
I have watched many people go and buy the "i" series when it first came out, bite my tongue and waited this far, so I want to invest and have a significant improvement for my money.
July 27, 2012 4:57:44 PM

bennaye said:
If you want to "futureproof" your build for gaming in the future then you'd be looking at your GPU, not CPU, since your GPU would be the component doing the brunt of the work. An i7 is effectively the same as an i5 for gaming, so if you're sure you're not doing CAD or anything like that then I'd save the money.

Also, your PSU is kinda overkill. Even a 550W would do. I'd drop to a 650W from XFX, Corsair or Seasonic. That is, unless you plan on sli'ing.

I want the 750Wat to be futureproof and YES, have the option to do SLI in a year or so. Is that ok?
I think I made the right choice with the GPU because of it's many values and performance, right now it costs alot, so I can't buy anotherone, but really now, I don't I will need SLI anytime soon with this build, if all goes well, gw.
What do you think?

Have I picked a good mobo btw? is it PCI3 and everything?
July 27, 2012 4:57:50 PM

then go with the i5 3570k, still an improvement over the i7
July 27, 2012 4:58:11 PM

no im not disapointed about it since they were like 20 dollars apart. but its not like that for you am i correct?

i5 3570k is just a i7 with the hyper-threading turned off. they are all the same chips
July 27, 2012 4:59:14 PM

i can also tell that you are pretty worried about this project and i assure you that we are making the right choices

every z77 board is PCI-E3

750w is more than enough for SLI
July 27, 2012 5:02:07 PM

Please reply to my last comment, regarding PSU and Mobo.

===
On these large costs, I thought investing on the top would be wise.
Are you sure you aren't just shying away from new technology?
YES, "games only now started using 4 cores" but technology run fast, who knows maybe tomorrow games will omptimize the use of 4 cores, and the day after tomorrow games will use HT and other features.
July 27, 2012 5:04:25 PM

because games normally take a year to make, and they are set on specific game engines, to change development on a game due to a newer and better game engine would be a waste of time. thus why we still think you should go with the i5
July 27, 2012 5:08:38 PM

Okay guys, thank you. I will trust you on this one.
Just to make sure it's the exact thing here in Israel:
http://www.ivory.co.il/catalog.php?id=4186
This is the one?
says here its 3.3 Ghz, does that make sense?

If I take the Core i5-3570k, will the cooler I chose will suffice? even if I OC it?
It's a warm country here.

And yes, I worry alot about this project because it's a big deal, all on my shoulders here, and I have only strangers online to consolt with. That being said, I trust your judement far better than the people around here and at the shopes.
July 27, 2012 5:11:12 PM

Yes that Cooler will suffice but the problem you may run into is size of it considering it is a big Air Cooler.
July 27, 2012 5:13:15 PM

Ransome said:
Please reply to my last comment, regarding PSU and Mobo.

===
On these large costs, I thought investing on the top would be wise.
Are you sure you aren't just shying away from new technology?
YES, "games only now started using 4 cores" but technology run fast, who knows maybe tomorrow games will omptimize the use of 4 cores, and the day after tomorrow games will use HT and other features.

it would take more effort for devs to make hyper threading work fine in gaming. Hyperthreads were designed to take loads off the main cores on non gaming situations like encoding, which can take a good amount of time depending on the quality of the video. If game devs decided to make games go past 4 cores, AMD's cpus would start to look more enticing because the physicalness of the amd modules count more as a core vs hyper threading. If that would happen, as well as AMD would fix their architectural design, amd would then probably make intel run for its money at that point in history.
July 27, 2012 5:14:06 PM

noctua is big. but you have more than enough space

they have a screwy on the specs. actually, you might even get a i5 3570k thats made in Israel (although i have my i7 thats made in malaysia)
July 27, 2012 5:14:55 PM

you think the case will do fine with it?
Also I saw you mentioned nothing about the RAM I picked.

I went 2X8 because I thought its better and more efficient than 4X4 + future upgradable.
Also, I took Gskill for their lower profile than Corsair vengeance, so it will fit with the Noctua.

One thing that troubled me, I took 1600 Mhz for the RAM, will it suffice? won't it be slow in the future?
July 27, 2012 5:15:44 PM

BTW INTEL Design they technology and new products here in Israel and with Israeli developers, they have a major establishment here :) 
July 27, 2012 5:17:06 PM

You wont have to upgrade your RAM for awhile if you get 16GB most people only use 8GB for gaming, with 8GB i can have both WoW and D3 up and running, with multiple browser windows PLUS itunes running and have maybe 80% used
July 27, 2012 5:24:42 PM

Also I was strongly recommened to aspire for ONLY SSD usage.
For the most pleasant and fast gaming and pc experience.
I was advised that the prices are going down rapidly, and that if I can make do with 256GB SSD for a while, then in a few months or more, I can buy another drive.

Let me just say again I don't download movies and stuff. I only play games on my rig, and surf the web.
July 27, 2012 5:25:02 PM

Shoot the did mess up with the specs! you think I will actually get worse cPU?
July 27, 2012 5:27:13 PM

Yes SSD are fast, BUT, what if that drive fails, you lose everything, thats why you should invest in a sata hard drive, with capacity. The CPU is fine if you get the i5
July 27, 2012 5:28:27 PM

Ransome said:
futureproof

Does anyone else want to beat their head against their desk when they hear this word? Or is it just me?

Trying to do this with the PC is like trying to do this with Sony's Playstation. If you want something you can rely on in the future get a full tower atx case. This is probably about the only thing you can 'futureproof', because the specifications will not be changing in probably our lifetime.

July 27, 2012 5:58:29 PM

Shockattackr said:
Yes SSD are fast, BUT, what if that drive fails, you lose everything, thats why you should invest in a sata hard drive, with capacity. The CPU is fine if you get the i5

1)same goes for HDD and stuff.
Anyways, if the drive falls, the OS, games and important stuff go down with it. having some music or untouched files in the hdd saved won't help much.
Hdd can also collapse.
Unless you are suggesting that SSd are not as reliable as HDD.

2) P.S your CPU is OC to 4.5? Sweet how did you do it exactly?
can you please specify how did you change the values?how much Multiplier, voltage etc..!
THX!! :sarcastic: 
July 27, 2012 5:58:56 PM

Ransome said:
you think the case will do fine with it?
Also I saw you mentioned nothing about the RAM I picked.

I went 2X8 because I thought its better and more efficient than 4X4 + future upgradable.
Also, I took Gskill for their lower profile than Corsair vengeance, so it will fit with the Noctua.

One thing that troubled me, I took 1600 Mhz for the RAM, will it suffice? won't it be slow in the future?

it has plenty of room for the heatsink

it doesnt really matter with the ram. 8gb is more than enough for most people but if you think you can use 32gb in the future (ram disk), go a head

1600mhz is the standard for now. higher speed memory has faster speed but higher latency, which equalizes itself. make sure that the 2x8gb kit is cl9 and not cl10 as cl10 is a bit slower.
July 27, 2012 6:00:16 PM

Ransome said:
BTW INTEL Design they technology and new products here in Israel and with Israeli developers, they have a major establishment here :) 

yeah i knew that. thats why i mentioned that you might get a chip thats made in your country. in israeli, they designed the intergrated graphics core
July 27, 2012 6:00:56 PM

one more thing to mention, every chip overclocks differently
July 27, 2012 6:01:13 PM

there is a guide you look at. it tells you everything, i am not at my computer and each motherboard is different, like i used an asus board for mine,

Multipler is 44*100 voltage is at 1.275 i turned off everything that would hate it C1,C2,C3 reporting disabled, LLC is at 50% , ummm, Intel Stepup was disabled..
July 27, 2012 6:03:11 PM

basically what i would do is not touch voltages and get the max overclock out of stock voltages to prevent the large heat increases from voltages

the stock speed is still more than enough
July 27, 2012 6:04:47 PM

TheBigTroll said:
it has plenty of room for the heatsink

it doesnt really matter with the ram. 8gb is more than enough for most people but if you think you can use 32gb in the future (ram disk), go a head

1600mhz is the standard for now. higher speed memory has faster speed but higher latency, which equalizes itself. make sure that the 2x8gb kit is cl9 and not cl10 as cl10 is a bit slower.

This is it, is that ok?
http://ksp.co.il/?uin=16277

Oh and my problem with SSD and HDD is that most my games on steam, meaning a single drive, and I want to run them on the SSD, so buying an HDD might be useless - it might just collect dust.. therefore I rather buy another SSD in the fuuture. Unfortuantly, there are those warnings that you cant let SSD get over 85% full..
Damn I wish this tech wouldn't be in its dipers, and if I could I would buy more than 256, buts thats impossible now.
July 27, 2012 6:08:32 PM

you can change the installation location of steam cant you? (its been awhile since ive played with steam)

The 2nd hard drive is there in case your ssd fails
July 27, 2012 6:09:25 PM

256gb is more than enough for like 15 games + OS + all apps. the hard drive is for backups incase the SSD fails. the SSD should not contain movies or anything that doesnt require fast acess. up to you to decide what goes where

kinda bull on the 85% thing.

yep, thats the right ram
July 27, 2012 6:13:06 PM

Shockattackr said:
there is a guide you look at. it tells you everything, i am not at my computer and each motherboard is different, like i used an asus board for mine,

Multipler is 44*100 voltage is at 1.275 i turned off everything that would hate it C1,C2,C3 reporting disabled, LLC is at 50% , ummm, Intel Stepup was disabled..

Can you send me that guide?
And lol I didnt understand anything of what you said..I'm rather green with OC.

TheBigTroll said:
basically what i would do is not touch voltages and get the max overclock out of stock voltages to prevent the large heat increases from voltages

the stock speed is still more than enough

Do you mean leaving BIOS voltage setting on on auto or on default ? please be specific. And how much can you squeeze a i5-3570K without increasing voltages? (like how much multiplayer units?)
And are you suggesting that with the stock speeds and my build I won't need to OC to enjoy high FPS videogaming? I truly hoped that I won't need to risk my hardware and mess with it.
July 27, 2012 6:28:07 PM

Ok, with great excitment and trembling feet over the Core i5-3570k decision, my final build:

1) GPU: Asus Nvidia Geforce 670GTX DC2T

2) CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Box

3) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77

4) Case: Corsair CC600TWM-WHT Graphite Special Edition

5) PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750AXEU Gold AX750 Modular

6) RAM: 2X8GB G.Skill Ripjaw-X DDR3 1600Mhz

7) CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14

8)SSD: Crucial Solid Series 256GB CT256M4SSD2 SSD

9)DVD driver: some Samsung DVD drive I guess..

10) audio?
** Does the onboard audio card good enough for quality surround sound for 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system?
I have an old ExtremeGamer and also ExtremeMusic audio card of Creative, that I kept moving from one CPU to another over the years.
I am hoping that I won't need to plug that dusty o'thing into my new rig.
July 27, 2012 6:30:42 PM

nah man, Onboard Sound these days are awesome. and can work as good as standalone cards
July 27, 2012 6:35:51 PM

Shockattackr said:
nah man, Onboard Sound these days are awesome. and can work as good as standalone cards

Sweet! I can finally ditch creative! :D 

Anyway, while I'm sure you know what it is, this is the motherboard on my shop:
http://www.ivory.co.il/catalog.php?id=8024

That's the right one?
I didn't see any comments about the mobo, I guess I'm picking a good one?
I hope it's onboard audio is as great as you say.
July 27, 2012 6:36:33 PM

overclocking is not really needed for good gaming. it will help but overclocking benefit other tasks more. id overclock the graphics card since its the main factor that affects game performance

to overclock graphics card, try turning the frequency at stock power level as high as you can. then you can increase the power level to 117% and then try turning up once more. keep in mind that at factory setings, its already faster than a 680 at stock speeds
!