June 4, 2012 9:07:06 PM

System Specs:
Asus P8Z77-V
Gigabyte GTX 670
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz
Corsair TX750M
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm
Windows 7 64-bit

I recently built my new system a few days ago and i have been having this error message come up frequently.

"Display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.42 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

When in-game, the screen freezes for a few seconds, then goes black for a few seconds, error message pops up then i can continue playing but at much reduced fps, (e.g. from 100+ to below 30).
What ive noticed is straight after this issue, while the game is still running, the GPU is at 99% load. (Using GPU-Z)

From my googling, this is a common error, but ive tried so many things and nothing is working so far.

Ive tried:
-not using aero in win7
-uninstalling gpu from device manager, rebooting and reinstalling drivers (301.25) from gigabyte disc.
-removing molex adapters from gpu
-setting TdrDelay from 2 seconds to 8 in regedit.
-changing many settings in nvidia control panel.
-more that i cant remember.

if anyone has had this issue and has fixed it somehow, please enlighten me. This is really frustrating.
a c 103 U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 9:47:33 PM

Those are all really stupid solutions that usually won't help

Try the following:

1. Ensure that your motherboard is at the latest firmware revision, this is the cause at least 75% of the time. Asus boards are notorious for having poor support out of the box

2. Ensure that your GPU is at the latest firmware revision. GPUs rarely have firmware updates but they do pop up from time to time. Gigabyte makes them easily accessible on their website

3. Make sure that you have installed the latest Intel chipset drivers. These are necessary for properly configuring the various 7 series subsystems including third generation PCI-Express controllers

4. Never use "Molex" connectors for your GPU (These are the 4 pin automotive connectors that everyone hates). You should always use 6/8 pin PCIe connectors and nothing else.

5. Don't bother installing the drivers from the CD that came with your GPU, these are usually an early release. Install the latest ones form the NVidia website
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 2:53:36 PM

mmm, I was having this issue also, I have a similar set up in terms of config:

i7 3770K (LGA1155)
Sabertooth Z77
16GB PC3-12800 (2x8) Corsair Veng
2 x Geforce GTX670 SLI
120GB SSD, 2TB HDD
BD-RW
etc etc etc

I managed to fix it by setting PhysX to run on my slave graphics card, as soon as I turn it to "auto" I get the 3second black screen and error.

I know you only have one graphics card and that, but giving it a manual setting seems to be the key to the issue. I've also changed my BIOS to see the PCI-e as primary display.

Hope this helps,
Lax
!