Sign in with
Your question

Hot PSU

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2012 1:20:18 AM

Hi Guys,

My PSU becomes very hot, especially when gaming. I believe this is caused by the PSU being of an insufficient size to support my system stably, but would appreciate a second opinion and any advice.

System specs are:
i5 2500k OC 4.8GHZ
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1
8GB Corsair Vengeance
2 x Sapphire HD6870
Antec True-Power Quattro 1000W
Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD Caviar Blue 640GB
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
WD Caviar Blue 250GB
Seagate Barracuda 250GB
Silverstone FT02B-W
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
Alphacool NexXxous UT60 w/ 3x Silverstone AP121-RL
Alphacool VPP655 -T12 Pump

Thanks in advance

More about : hot psu

a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 1:31:21 AM

How hot are we talking about? It's normal for a power supply to feel warm but that stops when it becomes scalding hot when you touch it. Is this by any chance one of them power supplies that have Intelligent fans that spin when a certain load is reached? (I'll check that out and confirm).

Anyways do you have a thermal gun? You could aim at the outer shell of the power supply to give you a rough estimation. Anyways I believe you have more than enough wattage.
December 9, 2012 1:43:52 AM

Hi Socialfox,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have a heat gun, but after placing a digital thermometer there for a few minutes during gaming, the air being exhausted is at around 54C. The manual states that safe temps are between 20C and 60C. I believe that you are right about the fan, it's speed definitely increases as it heats up.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 1:46:29 AM

54 degrees seems fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most high quality power supplies are rated at temperatures of 50 degrees. If you can check for any dust or anything else. I also believe there is a temperature where the power supply will turn itself off to prevent damage. Think it was called Thermal Overload protection.
December 9, 2012 1:49:19 AM

Thanks Socialfox,

It was just worrying me, as before i installed the WC loop last month it was a lot cooler, at least i won't need the heating on!
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 1:50:34 AM

I believe those power supply capacitors your power supply can withstand something like 105 degrees. In addition, worry when the exhaust starts to be in the 60-70s.
December 9, 2012 2:03:36 AM

Hi djangoringo,

I have checked it for dust and ventilation issues, was one of the first things I checked.

With the overclock, Cooling, the HDD's and the Crossfire setup, the draw is around 900w, according to my KillAWatt meter.
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 2:33:02 AM

Then it should be about those temperatures, still a bit hot though.
December 9, 2012 12:57:54 PM

Thanks for the help guys.
December 9, 2012 1:27:35 PM

TheDocGG said:
Thanks for the help guys.

as long as its not too noisy then it will be fine, it will have a temp sensor built in that will shut the psu down if it gets too hot.

have you got any fans on your pc case?

it might be the reason its feeling hot is that it is drawing all the heat out of the case.

ive noticed since i got an antec 300 with a fan on the top to draw heat out (psu is at the bottem)

the psu stays a lot cooler and quiter than in old pc
December 9, 2012 2:45:32 PM

I have an FT02, with a silverstone AP181 and 3 silverstone AP121 fans as air intakes, and an AP121 as an exhaust fan.

The MB is rotated so that the rear pannel is actually at the top of the case, and the PSU is mounted at the rear of the case, agin rotated 90 degrees, so that connections and airflow exit through the top of the case.
December 9, 2012 2:46:47 PM

The air is drawn in at the bottom, and flows out at the top.
!