Sign in with
Your question

PSU Wattage Question!

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2012 1:29:13 AM

Hello, I'm wondering what you guys think of my setup which I just bought.
Is the PSU decent with enough watts? I was told it was, as it was bought as a "professionally-put-together" computer. from a well known site in my country. (www.komplett.no)

My Spec:
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45
PSU: Corsair CX 500W PSU BULK ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus
CPU: Intel® Core i7-2700K
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB PhysX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB (2x4gb)
SSD: Intel® SSD 520 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 550MB/500MB/s read/write
HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3.5"

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions about anything, but mostly I'd like an answer about the PSU question. :) 

More about : psu wattage question

a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 1:37:31 AM

Should be more than enough wattage for that build. However the B75 board is what I have a problem with....
December 9, 2012 1:59:53 AM

socialfox said:
Should be more than enough wattage for that build. However the B75 board is what I have a problem with....

How will the motherboard be a huge setback? I do know I can't overclock with it.
And this is something I do hate, but I couldn't change it. :( 

But will it be a huge setback if we look away from that fact? Or a setback at all? Does it have any other purpose than just letting all the components fit? :p 
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 2:06:42 AM

Well if your not overclocking that's fine, but the B75 is kind of meant for a business orientated computer. Anyways your fine, sorry about getting you all worried, should've completed my sentence above but I love creating fear and cliffhangers :lol: 

Anyways the purpose of the K at the end of processor means its meant for overclocking, I believe the B75 can overclock a bit but not much because of the power phases and VRM heatsinks.
December 9, 2012 2:40:50 AM

socialfox said:
Well if your not overclocking that's fine, but the B75 is kind of meant for a business orientated computer. Anyways your fine, sorry about getting you all worried, should've completed my sentence above but I love creating fear and cliffhangers :lol: 

Anyways the purpose of the K at the end of processor means its meant for overclocking, I believe the B75 can overclock a bit but not much because of the power phases and VRM heatsinks.

Hmm.. You're saying I could overclock abit? In BIOS that is, yes?
And erm.. If i'd upgrade abit later on the MOBO, and gotten a good one. How far could I've overclocked without going too high with the stock cooler?
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 2:44:29 AM

Not too sure about overclocking on the B75, I read it on one source and haven't confirmed it yet. Either way, don't overclock on it, not safe...

In addition, you don't want to overclock on the stock cooler, not safe as well....

Thanks for tuning in this week's episode of safety 101 :lol: 
December 9, 2012 2:49:03 AM

socialfox said:
Not too sure about overclocking on the B75, I read it on one source and haven't confirmed it yet. Either way, don't overclock on it, not safe...

In addition, you don't want to overclock on the stock cooler, not safe as well....

Thanks for tuning in this week's episode of safety 101 :lol: 

Hmm, yes. I understand!

So if you were to suggest a new motherboard and a cooler for me to upgrade to in the future, what'd you suggest?

Also, thank you for your answers! <3
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 2:56:41 AM

Well for the motherboard either:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or

For CPU cooler, well I don't wanna eat up all your money so I'll go economical on this one:

Note that these are just for reference, if I really wanted to, I would look around the Internet for the lowest prices (but I'm kinda tired and going to call it a day, its 12am now).

Let me know if you want the lowest prices and I can do that right now before I leave. Or if your grabbing this in the future it would be pointless since the sale price now would be over. However IF in your country there is a boxing day (the day after Christmas) then make sure to buy it then, there should be significant savings. In Canada, Boxing day is a wonderful day where all stores pretty much sell everything at discounted prices even computer stores. People punch each other in the face if they take something someone they wanted and run off with the item just in time to pay for it before the other guys boxes him in the face and reclaims his item. Quite the day huh? Okay, I might have been making up the punching and boxing each other, but people do push others a lot in line and are running around the stores. :lol: 
!