Sensible case temperature

malbluff

Honorable
Is there a sensible "target" temperature to be aiming for, for average case temperature. ie Below which you could regard ventilation as adequate, and above which, you should be looking to improve vent?
Many thanks.

The temperature inside the case (assuming adequate airflow) will never be lower than room temperature unless you have some kind of refrigeration in there. Airflow through the case just ensures that hot air isn't allowed to stay in there.

As long as the GPU and CPU stay under 70-80C at full load, you have no issues with temperatures. Obviously, the lower the better.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I wouldn't worry so much about ambient temperature in the case so much as the temperature of your components at load. What are your specs?

malbluff

Honorable
What I'm trying to get, in mind, is what case temperature is "reasonable", or below which I'm unlikely to get any performance, or stability issues, with those components that normally rely on some cooling, from ambient air, like GPU, RAM etc. What I'm sort of looking for is "if you keep your case below .. xxC, everything should work reasonably". I appreciate I need to give seperate consideration to CPU cooling, if I want to overclock. What I want to avoid is finding I have to water cool GPU, to tweak it a bit, because case temp is too high, to handle it, without.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I see what you're saying. But honestly a few good intake/outtake fans should keep the ambient temperature at roughly the same as room temp. That being said, anything below 40C should be totally fine for any components. Nothing will overheat or damage in 40C air, and as long as you have good airflow they shouldn't overheat in those conditions.

GPU and CPU are pretty much the only things you need to worry about overheating, so their individual temps are, as said, much more important than internal temperature.