Overclocking a intel i7 3770k

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaguan

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hey guys, today i have a question. I am new to building a pc, that being said i am also new with overclocking. Now i have a intel core i7 3770k. I would like to oc this to a 4.5ghz. Now i have not put this computer together yet, as i am just getting the final parts i need to build it. I am getting a corsair h100, so the temperature of my cpu shoulding be a problem at 4.5ghz. But heres where my questions comes in:

1: What voltage do i need to give this cpu, when i overclock it to a 4.5ghz?

2: And, is there anything else i need to change when i put this cpu to a 4.5ghz, or do i just need to adjust the voltage?

Solution
OK wait wait wait...
1. Start by disabling all Power saving feutures and turbo boost.
2. Set your voltage to Fixed mode for now.
3. Then drop your voltage on the CPU to 0.900v and boot, this will give you an idea of how stable your processor is when it gets voltage tweaked.
4. Then run a half hour of prime95 or similar test to confirm stability.
5. If no errors occur, increase voltage to 1.100v and multiplier to x40(4.0GHz)
6. Run half hour prime95 again. If stable jump to 4.2GHz and prime again.
7. Then start increasing the multiplier x1 and prime in between each jump, when you get an error or cant boot, increase the voltage by 0.050v. Continue process until you hit an error.

What mobo do you have?
What CPU cooler do you have?

EDIT...

i8myhippo

Honorable
May 20, 2012
I'm no overclocking expert, and the answer to 2 is that there's usually something you can tweak, but the voltage should be enough to get it started

I have a 3570k, and I can get 4.5 with an offset of +0.65, I don't know how that will translate from the i5 to the i7 counterpart, but it shouldn't be too different.

OK wait wait wait...
1. Start by disabling all Power saving feutures and turbo boost.
2. Set your voltage to Fixed mode for now.
3. Then drop your voltage on the CPU to 0.900v and boot, this will give you an idea of how stable your processor is when it gets voltage tweaked.
4. Then run a half hour of prime95 or similar test to confirm stability.
5. If no errors occur, increase voltage to 1.100v and multiplier to x40(4.0GHz)
6. Run half hour prime95 again. If stable jump to 4.2GHz and prime again.
7. Then start increasing the multiplier x1 and prime in between each jump, when you get an error or cant boot, increase the voltage by 0.050v. Continue process until you hit an error.

What mobo do you have?
What CPU cooler do you have?

EDIT : This guide will help... I didn't follow it exactly but yeah. have my own way of doing things. The guide is not meant for beginners but it will help.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide/

EDIT 2 : ALWAYS keep an eye on temperature with realtemp or HWMonitor. Do not exceed 90C on CPU package for now...

Solution

shaguan

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

I have a p8 z77-v lk mobo
and im ordering a corsair h100 cpu cooler

Good, wait for it to get to you before you OC. In the mean time get familiar with your BIOS and that guide...

If you are curious you can do step 1 to 4 so long just to see.

shaguan

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Alright, thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.