Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Advice

Last response: in Systems
July 27, 2012 1:52:53 PM

I am currently running a Dell C521 (Try not to laugh too hard). I wanted to know if its feasible to even upgrade this PC or just go out and purchase something else.

Here is the current setup:

AMD Sempron Processor 1.8 GHz
3GB of RAM
320GB Hard Drive
LG DVD RW Optical Drive
Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.

Let me know if there is anything else you want. I am thinking this rig is on the old side and may not be worth upgrading.

Thanks

More about : upgrade advice

July 27, 2012 2:19:39 PM

It depends entirely on what you use it for. is it sluggish at all in any applications? They are outdated components, and i would rather get a whole new pc than upgrading it. You can pick up a prebuilt one to suit any power requirements now days... :)  or give us a budget and we can recommend specific components!
m
l
July 28, 2012 1:01:48 AM

Agree with above. IF you keep the CPU/MB then no real change. If you swap CPU/MB then not much left.

If you tell us how you will use your new system then people will give the right suggestions. No direction leads to a gaming build (which your system is definitely not). Ex: web browsing/movies/turbo tax is different then planning to edit the family movies or start gaming.

Aside: notebooks have become really strong and really cheap. Make sure you still want a desktop. Look at the $350 laptops at best buy.

Aside2: windows8 appears in late October. IF you are buying a rig to last 5 years again then you might want to wait or make sure you can do an upgrade. Win8 seems to be touchscreen focused (although I've never tried it), so hardware may change a bit.
m
l
Related resources
July 28, 2012 6:17:12 PM

Well heres the deal folks. I am mainly going to be authoring DVD's and would want the option of playing games...Doesn't need to be on high settings. I realize that I may be better off just buying a newer machine. I havent messed around with Windows 8 myself...Though I may install it on a VM just to screw around with it.....Anyhoo it may not be worth upgrading this machine. It serves me well for what I do with it...Although it takes like 2-3 hours to author a DVD I'll just have to live with it for now

Thanks for the responses :o 
m
l
July 28, 2012 7:02:45 PM

"DVD authoring is the second step in the process of producing finished DVDs: Step 1 is the creation of the movie (or programme); Step 2, the authoring, is the creation of user menus, insertion of chapter points, setting autoplay and/or repeat options; Step 3 is the manufacturing (replication) process to mass-produce finished DVDs." (wikipedia)

The authoring part is CPU intensive. The burning speed is DVD burner related. If its the burning part then you can pick up a fast DVD burner for $30.

You can cut authoring time in half or more with a better CPU. If you post a Budget people will be able to give you suggestions. I'd open a new thread with a title like 'DVD authoring platform for $400 using new parts and parts from Dell C521"

Or now that I know what your are using the PC for, look for an "Athlon X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz 89W Windsor" on ebay. They will not be in ordinary stores. (from ref http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3... ) Get to your latest BIOS from Dell before trying the new processor. Used $50 plus $5 for artic silver thermal paste to install heatsink.

Another alternative is a refurb system of current generation. Will be much better than 6000+. For example, this system "HP Pavilion p6727c AMD Athlon II X4 640 3GHz 4GB 750GB" should sell for $250-$300 (refurb, auction) and go a good job authoring. http://www.ubid.com/HP_Pavilion_p6727c_AMD_Athlon_II_X4...
m
l
July 28, 2012 7:17:44 PM

may i add a third alternative? Mac...
m
l
July 28, 2012 7:22:47 PM

Thanks all for the answers. I appreciate the input!!
m
l
July 28, 2012 7:24:48 PM

tsnor said:
"DVD authoring is the second step in the process of producing finished DVDs: Step 1 is the creation of the movie (or programme); Step 2, the authoring, is the creation of user menus, insertion of chapter points, setting autoplay and/or repeat options; Step 3 is the manufacturing (replication) process to mass-produce finished DVDs." (wikipedia)

The authoring part is CPU intensive. The burning speed is DVD burner related. If its the burning part then you can pick up a fast DVD burner for $30.

You can cut authoring time in half or more with a better CPU. If you post a Budget people will be able to give you suggestions. I'd open a new thread with a title like 'DVD authoring platform for $400 using new parts and parts from Dell C521"

Or now that I know what your are using the PC for, look for an "Athlon X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz 89W Windsor" on ebay. They will not be in ordinary stores. (from ref http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3... ) Get to your latest BIOS from Dell before trying the new processor. Used $50 plus $5 for artic silver thermal paste to install heatsink.

Another alternative is a refurb system of current generation. Will be much better than 6000+. For example, this system "HP Pavilion p6727c AMD Athlon II X4 640 3GHz 4GB 750GB" should sell for $250-$300 (refurb, auction) and go a good job authoring. http://www.ubid.com/HP_Pavilion_p6727c_AMD_Athlon_II_X4...

Its the combo of both on this machine. Creating said movie and then the authoring. As stated earlier I'll look into purchasing something a little newer.
m
l
!