SCSI Problem(ADAPTEC OWNERS)

datapulse

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
I used to have an Adaptec 39160 until it broke about a month ago, I ordered another one and it just came in. The computer I had used it in has been sitting around and not been used(My SCSI HD is the only HD I have). The only thing that has been changed is taht I removed the plextor CD-rom and a Jaz drive. Well I put in the new adaptec 39160 and it doesn't seem to work. I know the computer identifies it because I see it take up IRQs. I vaguely remember that the 39160 has it's own BIOS thing that shows up when you startup the computer. Does this startup message also show up when you have NO scsi drives connected? Mine doesn't have this and only shows that the card is taking up IRQs. If it is supposed to show up regardless if SCSI drives are connected than I know the card is messed up. I'm trying to isolate the problem so I need to know this. Thanks.

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
During boot up, ctrl+a will allow you to enter scsi card BIOS.
Since you didn't say what OS you're using, or what connector your drive(s) are (were) on, I cannot offer any more qualified help.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

G

The bios won't post if no drives are connected to the card. That card's bios might not even post unless you have bootable drives on it. So that's probably ok.. The problem is probably in your setup.

How is the one drive connected (what type of cable..which channel). How you terminating it.. what's it's ID. Have you even tried the card with the one hd connected?

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***