camera doesn't focus

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 21, 2005 8:33:08 PM

I got a new Panasonic Lumix FZ5 camera on Friday. I've been trying it
out in simple mode and more often than not the camera will not focus.
I've even tried pushing the shutter halfway down and supposedly setting
the focus that way (it doesn't help). I might understand if it was all
close things, but I couldn't even get a clear shot of something on a
wall 15 feet away. Is there anything I should try before assuming my
camera is defective and sending it back?

Thanks.

beeswing

More about : camera focus

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:04:16 AM

On 21 Aug 2005 16:33:08 -0700, beeswing wrote:

> I got a new Panasonic Lumix FZ5 camera on Friday. I've been trying it
> out in simple mode and more often than not the camera will not focus.
> I've even tried pushing the shutter halfway down and supposedly setting
> the focus that way (it doesn't help). I might understand if it was all
> close things, but I couldn't even get a clear shot of something on a
> wall 15 feet away. Is there anything I should try before assuming my
> camera is defective and sending it back?

Not knowing how familiar you are with the way cameras focus, I'll
assume the worst, that you aren't aware that cameras can do very
poorly when what it tries to focus on lacks clearly defined
horizontal or vertical objects, or lacks contrast. As my camera's
manual points out, it's much easier for the focusing mechanism when
the camera evaluates solid objects. Smoke and fur can make focusing
very frustrating.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:45:18 AM

beeswing wrote:

> I got a new Panasonic Lumix FZ5 camera on Friday. I've been trying it
> out in simple mode and more often than not the camera will not focus.
> I've even tried pushing the shutter halfway down and supposedly setting
> the focus that way (it doesn't help). I might understand if it was all
> close things, but I couldn't even get a clear shot of something on a
> wall 15 feet away. Is there anything I should try before assuming my
> camera is defective and sending it back?
>
> Thanks.
>
> beeswing

this could be a low light thing. I don't know the conditions you were
shooting in but that's first. i would say, however, that if you're
shooting indoors and not standing right up to what you're shooting
then you may have a problem.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

beeswing wrote:

> I got a new Panasonic Lumix FZ5 camera on Friday. I've been trying it
> out in simple mode and more often than not the camera will not focus.
> I've even tried pushing the shutter halfway down and supposedly setting
> the focus that way (it doesn't help). I might understand if it was all
> close things, but I couldn't even get a clear shot of something on a
> wall 15 feet away. Is there anything I should try before assuming my
> camera is defective and sending it back?
>
> Thanks.
>
> beeswing

oops, also forgot to ask, did you check you haven't got macro enabled?
Dumbo here sometimes forgets and tries photographing things long
distance, thinks camera is broke only to suddenly recall the macro he
used on a flower five minutes ago :o )
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:22:55 AM

beeswing wrote:
> I got a new Panasonic Lumix FZ5 camera on Friday. I've been trying it
> out in simple mode and more often than not the camera will not focus.
> I've even tried pushing the shutter halfway down and supposedly
> setting the focus that way (it doesn't help). I might understand if
> it was all close things, but I couldn't even get a clear shot of
> something on a wall 15 feet away. Is there anything I should try
> before assuming my camera is defective and sending it back?
>
> Thanks.
>
> beeswing

beeswing, please see my answer to your question in:
rec.photo.digital.zlr

David
!