PSU Wont power on with nothing connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James i5

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Hi,

i have an Antec 500D Earthwatts that i just got.

I wont be hooking it up until i get a few more pieces for my build, however i just plugged it up to the wall and it wont power on.

does it need to be entirely hooked up to my PC before it works?
or is it busted.

Solution

Some people say its better to not do that, I cant see why though.

LOL and no it cant be damaged by doing that @ OP!!!

Relax, computer component are more resilient than you think. Especially when from a reliable manufacturer...

socialfox

Distinguished

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
I tried the same thing with my case fans. I tried to plug in my case fans into my PSU while I was waiting for my CPU. Your fans wont work until the Mobo is in either. Even with a voltage evident at the fan. I used a tester and was perplexed why there was power to the fan yet the fan would not turn on. Not even the Blue disco light would come on?
I would steer clear from paper clips and wall sockets...

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

perfectly safe to do it

besides its only 5-12v max

takes at least 50v to kill ya

electricity takes the easiest path. the paperclip is made from metal so it wont conduct through you.

worse case scenario you will trip the rcd/mcb in house

now im not saying put your tongue on it, just don't worry so much about it

socialfox

Distinguished
I think it was more so Milli-amperes that kill you, I think it was 1 Ma that is felt, 5 ma is painful, 15 is loss of muscle control and 70 is fatal. Also shanky does bring up the thing about tongue cause our skin has resistance. On a person with dry skin the resistance is something like 1x10^5 and for wet skin (think of it as the tongue) our resistance decreases to 5x10^3

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

cough*bollock*cough

its a combination of Mah and volts that kill

as voltage goes up current goes down

thats on the supergrid supplying power its 100kv in uk and that means less power is lost over great distance and it has very low amps

Current is literally what kills you, but voltage tells you how much current your power source can potentially put through a given resistance. Voltage = Current x Resistance (Ohm's law), so for a fixed resistance, voltage and current are proportional.

socialfox

Distinguished

Yes I guess your right, but I did make a good point about the current (amps) :D

James i5

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
ok

i have a motherboard with a cpu, can i just plug in the 24 pin connector to the mobo and test the Psu?

I really dont want to hook everything up to find out i bought a faulty Power supply.

Paranoid much???

You could but without RAM and actually running the thing you could not be sure the PSU is fine...

He can short the board to start out between the reset pins with a screwdriver or something...

Some people say its better to not do that, I cant see why though.

LOL and no it cant be damaged by doing that @ OP!!!

Relax, computer component are more resilient than you think. Especially when from a reliable manufacturer...

Solution

James i5

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
im just going to use a paper clip.

i need to cross the green and black wire correct?

does it matter what black wire I use?

and yes im very paranoid with things i don't feel like breaking.

James i5

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
well that was simple.

It works haha, guess i freaked out for nothing.

Bought it used off ebay so just wanted to make sure :lol:

Thanks for all help and feedback :)

socialfox

Distinguished

The test you did only ensured it turns on not with any load. Though not trying to get you worried, Antec Power supplies are great and it should work fine with your loads :)

I would usually never buy used/refurbished power supplies. Can never know their histories....

Edit: If your going to pick a best answer (if your satisfied) pick Novuake for it.

Now why would you suggest that!?

Status
Not open for further replies.