Closed Solved

PSU Wont power on with nothing connected?

Hi,

i have an Antec 500D Earthwatts that i just got.


I wont be hooking it up until i get a few more pieces for my build, however i just plugged it up to the wall and it wont power on.

does it need to be entirely hooked up to my PC before it works?
or is it busted.
22 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wont power connected
  1. The motherboard power 24-pin needs to be plugged in for it to turn on...
  2. Thanks

    completely new to building a PC so im learning as i go.
  3. You could always jump start it as well, insert a bended paper clip in the hole where a green wire is and where a black wire is. This wont test any load on it but will give you an indication if it turns on if you don't have the motherboard or feel to lazy.

    Read this IF interested in jump starting:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components

    Technically, plugging it in the motherboard is much easier.
  4. I tried the same thing with my case fans. I tried to plug in my case fans into my PSU while I was waiting for my CPU. Your fans wont work until the Mobo is in either. Even with a voltage evident at the fan. I used a tester and was perplexed why there was power to the fan yet the fan would not turn on. Not even the Blue disco light would come on?
    I would steer clear from paper clips and wall sockets...
  5. netcommercial said:
    I tried the same thing with my case fans. I tried to plug in my case fans into my PSU while I was waiting for my CPU. Your fans wont work until the Mobo is in either. Even with a voltage evident at the fan. I used a tester and was perplexed why there was power to the fan yet the fan would not turn on. Not even the Blue disco light would come on?
    I would steer clear from paper clips and wall sockets...


    perfectly safe to do it

    besides its only 5-12v max

    takes at least 50v to kill ya


    electricity takes the easiest path. the paperclip is made from metal so it wont conduct through you.

    worse case scenario you will trip the rcd/mcb in house


    now im not saying put your tongue on it, just don't worry so much about it
  6. I think it was more so Milli-amperes that kill you, I think it was 1 Ma that is felt, 5 ma is painful, 15 is loss of muscle control and 70 is fatal. Also shanky does bring up the thing about tongue cause our skin has resistance. On a person with dry skin the resistance is something like 1x10^5 and for wet skin (think of it as the tongue) our resistance decreases to 5x10^3
  7. socialfox said:
    I think it was more so Milli-amperes that kill you, I think it was 1 Ma that is felt, 5 ma is painful, 15 is loss of muscle control and 70 is fatal. Also shanky does bring up the thing about tongue cause our skin has resistance. On a person with dry skin the resistance is something like 1x10^5 and for wet skin (think of it as the tongue) our resistance decreases to 5x10^3



    cough*bollock*cough


    its a combination of Mah and volts that kill

    as voltage goes up current goes down


    thats on the supergrid supplying power its 100kv in uk and that means less power is lost over great distance and it has very low amps


    Current is literally what kills you, but voltage tells you how much current your power source can potentially put through a given resistance. Voltage = Current x Resistance (Ohm's law), so for a fixed resistance, voltage and current are proportional.
  8. shanky887614 said:
    cough*bollock*cough


    its a combination of Mah and volts that kill

    as voltage goes up current goes down


    thats on the supergrid supplying power its 100kv in uk and that means less power is lost over great distance and it has very low amps


    Current is literally what kills you, but voltage tells you how much current your power source can potentially put through a given resistance. Voltage = Current x Resistance (Ohm's law), so for a fixed resistance, voltage and current are proportional.


    Yes I guess your right, but I did make a good point about the current (amps) :D
  9. ok

    i have a motherboard with a cpu, can i just plug in the 24 pin connector to the mobo and test the Psu?

    I really dont want to hook everything up to find out i bought a faulty Power supply.
  10. James i5 said:
    ok

    i have a motherboard with a cpu, can i just plug in the 24 pin connector to the mobo and test the Psu?

    I really dont want to hook everything up to find out i bought a faulty Power supply.


    Paranoid much???

    You could but without RAM and actually running the thing you could not be sure the PSU is fine...
  11. I believe you should be able to, make sure the front panel connectors are good. The front panel connectors are needed to utilize the power button on the case.
  12. socialfox said:
    I believe you should be able to, make sure the front panel connectors are good. The front panel connectors are needed to utilize the power button on the case.


    He can short the board to start out between the reset pins with a screwdriver or something...
  13. Novuake said:
    He can short the board to start out between the reset pins with a screwdriver or something...


    That works too :lol:
  14. Best answer
    socialfox said:
    That works too :lol:


    Some people say its better to not do that, I cant see why though.

    LOL and no it cant be damaged by doing that @ OP!!!

    Relax, computer component are more resilient than you think. Especially when from a reliable manufacturer...
  15. im just going to use a paper clip.

    i need to cross the green and black wire correct?

    does it matter what black wire I use?


    and yes im very paranoid with things i don't feel like breaking.
  16. This should do the trick:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qu380VVBAU

    Ignore the unnecessary music :lol:

    If you can't see, he puts the pin in one hole with a green wire leading in to it and another where a black wire leads in to.
  17. well that was simple.

    It works haha, guess i freaked out for nothing.

    Bought it used off ebay so just wanted to make sure :lol:


    Thanks for all help and feedback :)
  18. James i5 said:
    well that was simple.

    It works haha, guess i freaked out for nothing.

    Bought it used off ebay so just wanted to make sure :lol:


    Thanks for all help and feedback :)


    The test you did only ensured it turns on not with any load. Though not trying to get you worried, Antec Power supplies are great and it should work fine with your loads :)

    I would usually never buy used/refurbished power supplies. Can never know their histories....

    Edit: If your going to pick a best answer (if your satisfied) pick Novuake for it.
  19. socialfox said:
    The test you did only ensured it turns on not with any load. Though not trying to get you worried, Antec Power supplies are great and it should work fine with your loads :)

    I would usually never buy used/refurbished power supplies. Can never know their histories....

    Edit: If your going to pick a best answer (if your satisfied) pick Novuake for it.


    Now why would you suggest that!?
  20. Novuake said:
    Now why would you suggest that!?


    I've got enough best answers for today, don't wanna hog em all ;)
  21. socialfox said:
    I've got enough best answers for today, don't wanna hog em all ;)


    Haha I am not lacking either... I am not really here for best answers, but sure...
  22. Best answer selected by James i5.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Antec Build Power Components