Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU Wont power on with nothing connected?

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2012 1:59:55 AM

Hi,

i have an Antec 500D Earthwatts that i just got.

I wont be hooking it up until i get a few more pieces for my build, however i just plugged it up to the wall and it wont power on.

does it need to be entirely hooked up to my PC before it works?
or is it busted.

a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 2:05:43 AM

The motherboard power 24-pin needs to be plugged in for it to turn on...
Score
December 9, 2012 2:15:10 AM

Thanks

completely new to building a PC so im learning as i go.
Score
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 2:17:21 AM

You could always jump start it as well, insert a bended paper clip in the hole where a green wire is and where a black wire is. This wont test any load on it but will give you an indication if it turns on if you don't have the motherboard or feel to lazy.

Read this IF interested in jump starting:
http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-po...

Technically, plugging it in the motherboard is much easier.
Score
December 9, 2012 4:47:27 PM

I tried the same thing with my case fans. I tried to plug in my case fans into my PSU while I was waiting for my CPU. Your fans wont work until the Mobo is in either. Even with a voltage evident at the fan. I used a tester and was perplexed why there was power to the fan yet the fan would not turn on. Not even the Blue disco light would come on?
I would steer clear from paper clips and wall sockets...
Score
December 9, 2012 5:06:48 PM

netcommercial said:
I tried the same thing with my case fans. I tried to plug in my case fans into my PSU while I was waiting for my CPU. Your fans wont work until the Mobo is in either. Even with a voltage evident at the fan. I used a tester and was perplexed why there was power to the fan yet the fan would not turn on. Not even the Blue disco light would come on?
I would steer clear from paper clips and wall sockets...

perfectly safe to do it

besides its only 5-12v max

takes at least 50v to kill ya

electricity takes the easiest path. the paperclip is made from metal so it wont conduct through you.

worse case scenario you will trip the rcd/mcb in house

now im not saying put your tongue on it, just don't worry so much about it
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 5:11:15 PM

I think it was more so Milli-amperes that kill you, I think it was 1 Ma that is felt, 5 ma is painful, 15 is loss of muscle control and 70 is fatal. Also shanky does bring up the thing about tongue cause our skin has resistance. On a person with dry skin the resistance is something like 1x10^5 and for wet skin (think of it as the tongue) our resistance decreases to 5x10^3
Score
December 9, 2012 5:19:11 PM

socialfox said:
I think it was more so Milli-amperes that kill you, I think it was 1 Ma that is felt, 5 ma is painful, 15 is loss of muscle control and 70 is fatal. Also shanky does bring up the thing about tongue cause our skin has resistance. On a person with dry skin the resistance is something like 1x10^5 and for wet skin (think of it as the tongue) our resistance decreases to 5x10^3

cough*bollock*cough

its a combination of Mah and volts that kill

as voltage goes up current goes down

thats on the supergrid supplying power its 100kv in uk and that means less power is lost over great distance and it has very low amps

Current is literally what kills you, but voltage tells you how much current your power source can potentially put through a given resistance. Voltage = Current x Resistance (Ohm's law), so for a fixed resistance, voltage and current are proportional.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 5:21:21 PM

shanky887614 said:
cough*bollock*cough

its a combination of Mah and volts that kill

as voltage goes up current goes down

thats on the supergrid supplying power its 100kv in uk and that means less power is lost over great distance and it has very low amps

Current is literally what kills you, but voltage tells you how much current your power source can potentially put through a given resistance. Voltage = Current x Resistance (Ohm's law), so for a fixed resistance, voltage and current are proportional.

Yes I guess your right, but I did make a good point about the current (amps) :D 
Score
December 9, 2012 8:09:07 PM

ok

i have a motherboard with a cpu, can i just plug in the 24 pin connector to the mobo and test the Psu?

I really dont want to hook everything up to find out i bought a faulty Power supply.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 8:12:41 PM

James i5 said:
ok

i have a motherboard with a cpu, can i just plug in the 24 pin connector to the mobo and test the Psu?

I really dont want to hook everything up to find out i bought a faulty Power supply.

Paranoid much???

You could but without RAM and actually running the thing you could not be sure the PSU is fine...
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 8:12:46 PM

I believe you should be able to, make sure the front panel connectors are good. The front panel connectors are needed to utilize the power button on the case.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 8:20:10 PM

socialfox said:
I believe you should be able to, make sure the front panel connectors are good. The front panel connectors are needed to utilize the power button on the case.

He can short the board to start out between the reset pins with a screwdriver or something...
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 8:25:55 PM

Novuake said:
He can short the board to start out between the reset pins with a screwdriver or something...

That works too :lol: 
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 8:28:37 PM

socialfox said:
That works too :lol: 

Some people say its better to not do that, I cant see why though.

LOL and no it cant be damaged by doing that @ OP!!!

Relax, computer component are more resilient than you think. Especially when from a reliable manufacturer...
December 9, 2012 8:32:31 PM

im just going to use a paper clip.

i need to cross the green and black wire correct?

does it matter what black wire I use?

and yes im very paranoid with things i don't feel like breaking.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 8:45:29 PM

This should do the trick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qu380VVBAU

Ignore the unnecessary music :lol: 

If you can't see, he puts the pin in one hole with a green wire leading in to it and another where a black wire leads in to.
Score
December 9, 2012 8:52:33 PM

well that was simple.

It works haha, guess i freaked out for nothing.

Bought it used off ebay so just wanted to make sure :lol: 

Thanks for all help and feedback :) 
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 8:58:47 PM

James i5 said:
well that was simple.

It works haha, guess i freaked out for nothing.

Bought it used off ebay so just wanted to make sure :lol: 

Thanks for all help and feedback :) 

The test you did only ensured it turns on not with any load. Though not trying to get you worried, Antec Power supplies are great and it should work fine with your loads :) 

I would usually never buy used/refurbished power supplies. Can never know their histories....

Edit: If your going to pick a best answer (if your satisfied) pick Novuake for it.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 10:07:12 PM

socialfox said:
The test you did only ensured it turns on not with any load. Though not trying to get you worried, Antec Power supplies are great and it should work fine with your loads :) 

I would usually never buy used/refurbished power supplies. Can never know their histories....

Edit: If your going to pick a best answer (if your satisfied) pick Novuake for it.

Now why would you suggest that!?
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 10:09:43 PM

Novuake said:
Now why would you suggest that!?

I've got enough best answers for today, don't wanna hog em all ;) 
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 10:12:19 PM

socialfox said:
I've got enough best answers for today, don't wanna hog em all ;) 

Haha I am not lacking either... I am not really here for best answers, but sure...
Score
December 9, 2012 11:59:35 PM

Best answer selected by James i5.
Score
!