Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU overheats for no apparent reason.

Last response: in CPUs
December 9, 2012 2:18:22 AM

Hello to the community,

I left my sister use my computer last night and today I started to have this problem with my CPU overheating and therefore forcing Windows to shutdown. I'm already sure its not due to heatsink/fan because I've checked and thev're fine (the heatsink is clean and fan spins). I'm suspecting that its probably due to a malware infection since the system overheats ONLY when I boot normally.

Normal Boot
HWmonitor reports CPU temps at 72-75C (idle)
Task Manager reports minimal-moderate CPU usage
CPU Fan audibly speeds up to max due to temps
Avira scan reports mscorsvw.exe (two of them) is malware since it doesn't have any file referrence
Allowing Avira to apply actions results to Avira "redoing" a scan and reporting another mscorsvw.exe again,. later resulting to shutdown
Scanning or leaving computer idling for more than a few minutes results to shutdown

Safe Boot
HWmonitor reports CPU at 45C (idle)
Task Manager reports minimal-moderate CPU usage
CPU fans audibly runs at "normal" speed
Avira scans fail to detect any malware or mscorsvw.exe
System runs normally, no shutdowns so far

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400
Motherboard: Biostar H61 MLV
PSU: FSP Hexa 550W

Any advice I could take to fix it? Thanks in Advance.

December 9, 2012 2:52:46 AM

I've already checked online for any malwares related to mscorsvw.exe,. They say that mscorsvw is a Windows file and should be located at system 32,. And Avira does report that the two suspected mscorsvw.exes is located in:

C:\Windows\System32\mscorsvw.exe
C:\Windows\System32\update\mscorsvw.exe

I've used SAS (Super Antispyware) and though it didn't detect any mscorsvw.exe infections yet (safe mode) it did find 5 files (image files, .jpg) that it identifies as trojans,. the scan isn't finished yet so I would appreciate any suggestions or actions to take while I'm at it.
Score
Related resources
December 9, 2012 3:20:24 AM

socialfox said:
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/mscorsvw.exe....

It could be a processes or a virus named after it....
Heh, when I was younger I just used to format my computer if I had a pesky virus that wouldn't go away or was difficult to remove.

Thanks for the link and suggestion. Fortunately, there's no need for a fresh OS install, the culprit is the 5 image files that my sister downloaded, as they are actually .exe trojan files and somehow taxes my CPUs to the point that it overheats. I used SAS to delete them, so far so good,. CPU temps now stay in 35-45C as they should be.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 9, 2012 11:34:12 AM

friskiest said:
Thanks for the link and suggestion. Fortunately, there's no need for a fresh OS install, the culprit is the 5 image files that my sister downloaded, as they are actually .exe trojan files and somehow taxes my CPUs to the point that it overheats. I used SAS to delete them, so far so good,. CPU temps now stay in 35-45C as they should be.

I see, 45 is still a bit high on the idling side or is this with partial load? Anyways you should tell you sister to be careful when on the internet and not to download random images :whistle: 
December 9, 2012 12:41:19 PM

socialfox said:
I see, 45 is still a bit high on the idling side or is this with partial load? Anyways you should tell you sister to be careful when on the internet and not to download random images :whistle: 

I'm using the stock cooler,. and I'm in a tropical climate with no AC so ambient temps is usually around 31-33C. My bad for letting my sister with the net on as she was only supposed to play an offline game. Thanks for the tip
Score
December 9, 2012 12:41:37 PM

Best answer selected by friskiest.
Score
!