dreadllokz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Hello everyone! This is my first Thread and english is not my first language, sry about that.

I have some knowledge in hardware, but I need to know if someone has experience in this particular scenario.

I have a Pentium 4 3.2 HT! I can overclock it a little with my H50... something @3.5 stable because my ram and my mb can't help me.

I live in Brazil, and a New Gaming rig, even a i3 or 4100 based rig is very expensive, so I wanna give some more life to my old rig, till I can get the money to build a proper gaming PC like 2500k and a gtx660 maybe.

So, my PC:

Corsair 400w
P5QPL-AM
P4 3.2HT@3.5
3Gb DDR2 667
Win7 32Bits Ultimate

I want a video card... I know about the bottleneck of the P4, and I know that this is not the best way to go... thing is, I can't build another rig right now, and I want to make light gaming, on board video is sux even for 720p movies in jungle or fast scenes.

Im thinking about a HD6670... but I can't find any tests online to see if it is worth to get a 6670 other then the 6650, of course, for the next build, the 6670 i gonna save some money to start, but I don't worry much about it, I just want the best I can have for my Pentium 4 and Corsair 400w.

The doubt:

Is it worth to get a 6670 for a Pentium 4? Or will it performe the same as the 6570 because of the CPU bottleneck?

Tyvm any help or experience is apreciated, and sry again for my bad english.

Solution

I can't quite remember but it was something from the x1 series as it had an AGP slot, but it was quite a while ago, atleast 5 years.

For cost/performance have you looked at APUs?

But here is what I think: buy the 6670 if you plan on reusing it in your newbuild, if not go with the cheapest you can find like a 5450 or something.

Check out some benchmarks the 6670 isn't a bad card by any stretch I was using one to game at 1920 x 1080, most games played atleast medium.

dreadllokz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Ty Supermuncher85.
At first, I was thinking about geting e8500, but the prices around here don't help at all. Its half the price of the 2500k, just don't worth the money. I just need to make a little more use from my P4 in the next feel months.

dreadllokz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Isn't the 6670 or 6570 better then the gt 240 even with the Pentium4 Bottleneck? Thats my doubt what is the best I can get for a Pentium4 and a 400w Corsair.

Tyvm

I'd have to say go ahead and grab one, can't be that bad even if it does have a bottleneck via the pentium 4, I had a P4, played GTA SA/VC/NFS underground, most wanted fairly decently.

Either way it will be loads better then integrated graphics + you can use it in your new build.

dreadllokz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Ty for your help. What GPU did u use with the P4?

G

that is pretty much speculation. i usually say, " d4mn the bottleneck full GPU ahead!" but if you are saving up to upgrade your platform; it might be better to spend as little money as you can now so you have more money later . .just a thought.

I can't quite remember but it was something from the x1 series as it had an AGP slot, but it was quite a while ago, atleast 5 years.

For cost/performance have you looked at APUs?

But here is what I think: buy the 6670 if you plan on reusing it in your newbuild, if not go with the cheapest you can find like a 5450 or something.

Check out some benchmarks the 6670 isn't a bad card by any stretch I was using one to game at 1920 x 1080, most games played atleast medium.

Solution