Power supply skips onn and off every second, very odd problem

hampsonfakktor

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hello,
i have had my computer run fine for just about a year now, absolutely no problems. today i unplugged my computer to plug it back into another socket. when i plugged it back in, the computer would not turn on. the red light on my GPU would blink on and off every second so im assuming the powersupply is only working in short bursts/skips. I really dont know. whatever is plugged into the power strip that i plugged my computer into also does that, (just turn on and off) but not when the computer is in. the power strip works fine without the computer in it. no matter what socket in my house i plug my comp un, it has the same problem. this has never happened before, it was working perfectly fine when i unplugged the computer 5 mins before. please help, im desperate. gygabyte 990fxa ud3, xfx core 650w, phenom II x4, asus 6950, hafx, 500gb hdd

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Wow, sounds like you have a problem. Either your GPU went out or your PSU is dead/malfunctioning. Is there any warranty on either of these parts?

hampsonfakktor

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

I dont have a warranty on the psu...

rjackowens

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Well I can't be sure, but it defnitely soundS like a bad PSU. You probably need to get it replaced. Take it to Microcenter. They will test your PSU for free. Sorry about this man