Sign in with
Your question

Amd a8 apu, windows experience index reads 2 instead of 4 cores

Last response: in CPUs
December 9, 2012 3:18:49 AM

hello, i have just installed my new a8 4 core processor and was wondering why windows says its only got 2?
a c 140 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 9, 2012 3:52:23 AM

It isn't a real quad core it's a dual core with 4 threads.
December 9, 2012 4:20:20 AM

are you sure? its an a8 3870k, all the info ive found says its 4 cores with 4 threads
Related resources
December 9, 2012 4:53:54 AM

No its a quad core, can you download cpu z and see if that reports 4 cores and 4 threads?
December 9, 2012 4:56:30 AM

sure thing man, just give me a sec.
December 9, 2012 5:00:37 AM

installed cpu z and it shows that i have 4 cores and 4 threads, thanks man, maybe windows index isnt too accurate?
December 9, 2012 5:03:05 AM

Yeah sounds like a bug, I bet someone else will have some more Ideas, Btw did you have a previous APU installed or is this the first one?
a c 184 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 9, 2012 5:05:37 AM

msconfig?
December 9, 2012 5:06:45 AM

yes i did, i had an a4 4300 apu, just installed the a8 today with a cooler master heatsink
December 9, 2012 5:28:12 AM

mike34260 said:
yes i did, i had an a4 4300 apu, just installed the a8 today with a cooler master heatsink

Ahh ok I Think I have an Idea, You may need to tell windows to boot up with all 4 cores of the cpu instead of the 2 that it usually does.

Bring up "System configuration untility" (type in (winodws 7/vista ) The search bar "msconfig" or (xp) click run then type msconfig)

Then head to the BOOT.INI and click advance options.

and see if the "NUMPROC" is checked or not.

If checked. Uncheck it then reboot. It will limit the number of cores you are able to uses in windows.
a c 140 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 9, 2012 5:37:46 AM

milkshakez7z said:
No its a quad core, can you download cpu z and see if that reports 4 cores and 4 threads?

:pfff:  It's only a quad core if you believe in AMD's module scam. For everyone else it's a dual core with 4 threads. The so called six core is a three core with 6 threads and the so called 8 core is really a quad core with 4 threads.
December 9, 2012 5:40:34 AM

rds1220 said:
It's only a quad core if you believe in AMD's module scam. For everyone else it's a dual core with 4 threads. The so called six core is a three core with 6 threads and the so called 8 core is really a quad core with 4 threads.

Its not a scam... Seriously, He even said that in CPU-Z its a 4 core with 4 threads.

If your not going to help don't comment.
a c 140 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 9, 2012 5:49:55 AM

milkshakez7z said:
Its not a scam... Seriously, He even said that in CPU-Z its a 4 core with 4 threads.

If your not going to help don't comment.

When you [AMD] make claims that it's a real 8/6/4 core and it's not that's a scam. Only fanyboys are to blind to see the truth. As for his problem Windows OS is seeing it for what it is a dual core CPU with 4 threads sort of like hyperthreading, (notice I said sort of not equal to or similar too.) It doesn't matter what CPU-z or AMD says it's how the OS see's the harware and again it see's it for what it is.
a c 82 à CPUs
December 9, 2012 6:02:14 AM

rds1220 said:
When you [AMD] make claims that it's a real 8/6/4 core and it's not that's a scam. Only fanyboys are to blind to see the truth. As for his problem Windows OS is seeing it for what it is a dual core CPU with 4 threads sort of like hyperthreading, (notice I said sort of not equal to or similar too.) It doesn't matter what CPU-z or AMD says it's how the OS see's the harware and again it see's it for what it is.

You do realize he has the A8 3870k? That is a Llano APU based off the older Stars architecture. It is not based on Bulldozer or Piledriver, so it has four full cores with no shared resources.

To the OP, try going into your BIOS and restore it to setup defaults if the msconfig stuff doesn't work. Some AMD boards have had issues with CPU core detection in Windows. Resetting to defaults sometimes fixes it.
a c 140 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 9, 2012 6:08:03 AM

Oops I was getting mixed up, meh it's 3 in the morning. I would go into the BIOS and make sure all cores are enabled.
December 9, 2012 6:15:57 AM

Supernova1138 said:
You do realize he has the A8 3870k? That is a Llano APU based off the older Stars architecture. It is not based on Bulldozer or Piledriver, so it has four full cores with no shared resources.

To the OP, try going into your BIOS and restore it to setup defaults if the msconfig stuff doesn't work. Some AMD boards have had issues with CPU core detection in Windows. Resetting to defaults sometimes fixes it.

Thanks for confirming that, I thought I was going crazy or something...
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2012 6:32:29 AM

rds1220 said:
Oops I was getting mixed up, meh it's 3 in the morning. I would go into the BIOS and make sure all cores are enabled.

Go sleep please. We don't want to be responsible for your premature death due to exhaustion :lol: 
December 9, 2012 5:00:40 PM

thanks for the replies, well i went into ms config and the box was unchecked, so now im going to do the BIOS method, can somebody just give me a few steps for that, I just don't want to possibly hurt anything
a c 140 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 9, 2012 5:15:20 PM

For what I was saying go into the BIOS and most likely there will be an "advanced settings" section or tab. In that setion there should be an option for setting the number of active cores. Set the cores to 4 or all active.
December 9, 2012 5:44:12 PM

ok thanks man, I'll try it out and tell you how it goes
!