How long will my home-built computer last?

Primal

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hello, my dad is concerned about how long the pc im building him will last. Ive explained that most reviews he heard on pc's failing was from prebuilt storebought computers. I've picked out good components for my computer (intel, corsair, EVGA) and was wondering if you guys know how long an average homebuilt lasts?

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
If you use good materials they become obsolete before they fail. I recently retired a 4 year old machine because it didn't support fast SSDs, but I gave it to a friend and he'll probably use it another 4 years. Even then, it will probably still be running, just obsolete.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Before parts are obsolete and slow?

Work PC: 5 yrs

Gaming PC: 2 yrs

Before something dies? Clean your system, both software and hardware at least twice a year. Pick quality parts - Seasonic, Asus, etc.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Depends what you mean by obsolete or failure.

If you are doing the SAME things for the next 10 years, then computer will be the same.

Nobody can tell what the killer app is going to be down the line. If you do microsoft office, maybe play some casual facebook games, watch youtube and maybe other videos. You can do all these things with a PC from 10years ago.

So you can use that same concept and extrapolate to the future.

Heck, on my brand new computer, I'm using my copy of Office 97 (since it's paid for), which is not even supported by Microsoft anymore.

As far as actual FAILURE,
It is estimated that a consumer piece of hardware should last at least 10 years, and usual failure is somewhere between the 20-30year mark. This is estimated and calculated with formulas and stresstesting since nobody has time machines to go 30years into the future to see actual computers failing..

So no, they will not last forever, you will WEAR out the transistors same as your incandescent lightbulb eventually dims out.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012

For tax purposes, 3 years is also the IRS amortization period for computer hardware.
That is also why often this specific timeframe is used too.