Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Upgrading from an Intel Core i7 860 2.8 GHz to ...?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 9, 2012 3:44:03 AM

My younger brother is about to build a new computer and has agreed to buy my Intel Core i7 860 2.8 GHz for $100 and with Christmas around the corner I'll be getting a small Christmas bonus of $300 - $400 so I see this as a good opportunity to upgrade processors, though I'm not sure what to buy at the moment nor do I know if a new motherboard would be needed too for the CPU. On that note should I also consider getting myself a heatsink for it rather than stick with the stock one?

My computer currently has 16gb of RAM, 2 Solid State Drives, a GTX 670 and uses the EVGA 123-LF-E653-KR (P55 LE) motherboard.
a c 140 à CPUs
December 9, 2012 3:55:42 AM

Daratum said:
My younger brother is about to build a new computer and has agreed to buy my Intel Core i7 860 2.8 GHz for $100 and with Christmas around the corner I'll be getting a small Christmas bonus of $300 - $400 so I see this as a good opportunity to upgrade processors, though I'm not sure what to buy at the moment nor do I know if a new motherboard would be needed too for the CPU. On that note should I also consider getting myself a heatsink for it rather than stick with the stock one?



My computer currently has 16gb of RAM, 2 Solid State Drives, a GTX 670 and uses the EVGA 123-LF-E653-KR (P55 LE) motherboard.


What are you going to be doing with this computer, gaming?

What is your overall budget?

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 9, 2012 3:58:00 AM
Share

870 is old 1156 socket. You want i5 3570k/i7 3770k which are on the new 1155 socket.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seeing as you had i7 until now, it's up to you to decide whether you want/need hyper threading for $100 extra or not.
Related resources
December 9, 2012 3:59:20 AM

rds1220 said:
What are you going to be doing with this computer, gaming?

What is your overall budget?

Looking at spending a good deal of my time gaming, photoshops, and some video editing.

At the moment it looks to be $450 though I might be able to squeeze a bit more out.
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2012 4:02:33 AM

Daratum said:
Looking at spending a good deal of my time gaming, photoshops, and some video editing.

At the moment it looks to be $450 though I might be able to squeeze a bit more out.

In that case, definitely go for i7 3770K. HT is huge for rendering.
a c 140 à CPUs
December 9, 2012 4:05:51 AM

Daratum said:
Looking at spending a good deal of my time gaming, photoshops, and some video editing.

At the moment it looks to be $450 though I might be able to squeeze a bit more out.


I would continue to save up because 450 doesn't leave much. If you go Intel the CPU alone will cost between 220 and 320 dollars. You are going to have to get a new motherboard because none of the new CPU's will work with the old motherboard. As you can see that doesn't leave much room for the motherboard, case and any other stuff you might have to get.
a c 140 à CPUs
December 9, 2012 4:07:12 AM

Soda-88 said:
In that case, definitely go for i7 3770K. HT is huge for rendering.


He will have to save up because he isn't going to be able to do a whole new build with just 450 dollars.
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2012 4:08:39 AM

rds1220 said:
I would continue to save up because 450 doesn't leave much. If you go Intel the CPU alone will cost between 220 and 320 dollars. You are going to have to get a new motherboard because none of the new CPU's will work with the old motherboard. As you can see that doesn't leave much room for the motherboard, case and any other stuff you might have to get.

Do you even read before posting.. he said he's upgrading CPU, salvaging the rest of the components

Quote:
My computer currently has 16gb of RAM, 2 Solid State Drives, a GTX 670 and uses the EVGA 123-LF-E653-KR (P55 LE) motherboard.
December 9, 2012 4:09:45 AM

rds1220 said:
I would continue to save up because 450 doesn't leave much. If you go Intel the CPU alone will cost between 220 and 320 dollars. You are going to have to get a new motherboard because none of the new CPU's will work with the old motherboard. As you can see that doesn't leave much room for the motherboard, case and any other stuff you might have to get.

As far as anything else I might need I think I'm set. I can still use my HAF X Full Tower and my 850w has me covered so far.
December 9, 2012 4:15:49 AM

Best answer selected by daratum.
a c 140 à CPUs
December 9, 2012 4:16:13 AM

Soda-88 said:
Do you even read before posting.. he said he's upgrading CPU, salvaging the rest of the components

Quote:
My computer currently has 16gb of RAM, 2 Solid State Drives, a GTX 670 and uses the EVGA 123-LF-E653-KR (P55 LE) motherboard.


And is comprehension above your skill level he has to get a new processor and a new motherboard. You can't put an Ivy Bridges I7 in a socket 1156. Between the CPU and motherboard that will cot just around or a little more than 450 dollars.
December 9, 2012 4:18:26 AM

rds1220 said:
And is comprehension above your skill level he has to get a new processor and a new motherboard. You can't put an Ivy Bridges I7 in a socket 1156. Between the CPU and motherboard that will cot just around or a little more than 450 dollars.

How much do you recommend putting aside for both another i7 and a new compatible motherboard?
a c 140 à CPUs
December 9, 2012 4:27:36 AM

Ok out of the major parts what are you saving from the old computer, as said the motherboard is out. I'm guessing you will be keeping the 670 and the two SSD's. Do you need a case, power supply?
December 9, 2012 4:35:36 AM

rds1220 said:
Ok out of the major parts what are you saving from the old computer, as said the motherboard is out. I'm guessing you will be keeping the 670 and the two SSD's. Do you need a case, power supply?

Here is what i'll be keeping: The Solid State Drives, the 850w Power Supply, the 670, the 16GB of RAM, my auzen x-fi forte 7.1 sound card and I can still use my HAF X Full Tower so all I'd be needing is a CPU and a compatible motherboard.
December 9, 2012 4:50:43 AM






Truth be told I'd feel a little more secure purchasing an ASUS motherboard, I've had great luck and service with them over the years. Also considering the processor I'd be getting I wouldn't mind saving a bit more ($200 or so) for a decent motherboard.
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2012 5:04:18 AM

I'll choose ATX over mATX mobo because PCIe are handy for adding capture card etc, knowing you are using this for everything and not just for games.
December 9, 2012 5:14:25 AM

Pyree said:
I'll choose ATX over mATX mobo because PCIe are handy for adding capture card etc, knowing you are using this for everything and not just for games.

Do you have one if the $200 range in mind? Truth be told though it'll be mainly for gaming.
a c 140 à CPUs
December 9, 2012 5:43:54 AM



I would not go with a micro ATX motherboard. You never know when you might need more PCI slots or if you want to add another video card in the future. With the micro ATX board you will be limited in how many expansion cards you will be able to add and you won't be able to add another video card because it only has one PCI-e 16X slot.
December 9, 2012 5:49:27 AM

rds1220 said:
I would not go with a micro ATX motherboard. You never know when you might need more PCI slots or if you want to add another video card in the future. With the micro ATX board you will be limited in how many expansion cards you will be able to add and you won't be able to add another video card because it only has one PCI-e 16X slot.

Good point. I think ive decided on this board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 140 à CPUs
December 9, 2012 5:54:30 AM

That motherboard seems fine. It has a number of 1x 16X and PCI slots. Asus makes great boards I think that will be really good for gaming.
December 9, 2012 6:03:31 AM

rds1220 said:
That motherboard seems fine. It has a number of 1x 16X and PCI slots. Asus makes great boards I think that will be really good for gaming.

Thank you for your help rds1220.
!