Problem with installing GTX 550

psyadj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
hello there...
i`m having trouble to install 2 Asus GTX 550 ti into my pc. I plugged one card in and tried to install the driver,
got an error saying that there is no nvidia card detected. i tried the driver that came with it, and also the one from nvidia website, tho i believe its the same.
i tried both the cards and they both dont get detected...also they dont show up in device manager. the fan on the cards work when pc is on. i had a look in bios and it was on "auto", switched it to pcie and still no luck.
i also reinstalled the bios on pc with no success. now i really dont know anymore what to do....it does detect that there is something in the pcie slot when i go into bios..where i can choose if the card is gen1,2 or 3 i have it on auto.what confuses me is that where it should say if its x16 or x8 it says x0 (at least i assume it would be the place where it tells you x16 or x8)

motherboard is really new too...i hope its not the mobo thats fucked coz ive got it from amazon and sending it back would be so annoying...the cards i can just bring back to a shop...only i think its very unlikely that i buy 2 cards and both are not working...any help would be great..tho im quite pessimistic by know coz i tried everything (that i know of..)

my system:

800D case
Asus P8Z77- V PRO
i7 3770k
16gb Corsair Vengeance
256 gb Corsair Performance pro ssd
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair H-100 cooler
Dell U2711
and no, im not beeing sponsored by Corsair ;)

thanks guys

nafoni

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Your monitor is connected to the graphic card itself, and not the motherboard's VGA/DVI/HDMI out?

Try another PCI-E slot?

psyadj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
no the monitor is connected to the motherboard. i assumed i have to first install the drivers before i connect it to the card. i tried all the pci-e slots...

psyadj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
tried again this morning and now the pc is not even booting when the card is in. i guess i bring them back.

it not the cards it the setting in asus bios. you have to set the first video device as pci and then turn off the lucent mx settings.if not the intel chipset is the main chipset thats found and drivers loaded.

Richard_thf

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

hi.
i'm new here. i also have to same problem for detect my GTX550 in P8z77-V motherboard.
I had try setting the primary display in BIOS as PCI-E and save it.
But when i go to BIOS again, it still show auto.
so i duno what happen. please advise..

btw, what is ur mean by "turn off the lucent mx setting"? what is that mean? where to find it.please show some pic for better understand coz i'm computer idiot.:)