Sign in with
Your question

Phenom ii x4 965/gtx 480 vs Intel i5 2500k/gtx 560

Last response: in Systems
July 27, 2012 4:10:07 PM

As the title says.....^^^^^ Which system would be better for gaming. In particular for strategy or rts games such a supcom 2 or sc2 but really just gaming in general....
July 27, 2012 4:12:29 PM

do you wish to oc? if so i would go with a 3570k and not the 2500k

If not and want to make it cheap as possible i would pick the AMD rig
July 27, 2012 4:58:16 PM

without oc, in terms of performance, which is best? Cheap cpu with expensive gpu or expensive cpu with average gpu?
Related resources
July 27, 2012 5:01:39 PM

atm i am running a i5 3570k with a 560 Ti vga, before the intel machine i was running the 965be with a 6770 and i noticed a huge change with the intel machine
July 27, 2012 5:16:30 PM

Shockattackr said:
atm i am running a i5 3570k with a 560 Ti vga, before the intel machine i was running the 965be with a 6770 and i noticed a huge change with the intel machine

Oh come on! The 560 Ti is nearly twice the card the 6770 is. No wonder you noticed a "huge" change. Swap the video cards and then compare the two machines. That would be about the equivalent of what the OP is asking.

OP - In most games you are going to be better off with the AMD setup with the stronger video card. Just my 2 cents =)
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2012 5:17:14 PM

i have several amd processors including 6core/quad cores, etc. I also have a quad 775 9550............ nothing amd has can touch that old 775 processor as far as sheer speed....... ( through put of information ).... ( this isn't a FPS thing girls )............... that one machine is snappier than anything else with an amd processor in it.

as much as a despise the 560..... ( if you have to get one how's about a 2gig model ) ?.............. the 2500 will blow the doors off any amd processor and IMO would be much better for gaming at this point in time ( these amd processors are now EOL ) (and I wouldn't buy one specifically for that reason also. )

having said that.................. both the amd and my 775 processors are bottle-necking any modern video card I put on any machine.

July 27, 2012 7:46:09 PM

While the immediate cost of a 965 and a gtx 480 would be lower than an i5 2500k and a gtx 560, you also have to consider power consumption, airflow and the lifespan of the parts. The 965 is a great cpu, but so is the 2500k. The 480 is an excellent graphics card, but most people are unable to put up with the temperatures, noise and power consumption of just one, especially with similar options available at a few dollars more.

Instead of a 480, I would recommend a 7850; it has similar performance and uses up much less power in comparison. While you wouldn't be able to utilize Nvidia's PhysX, you wouldn't be missing out on a major feature. Plus, with the 7850, you can take three lower-resolution monitors and turn them into an astounding gaming display.

If your going to get an AMD cpu new, then go ahead and get a motherboard with the 990fx chipset and an fx-4170 cpu. You'll be able to upgrade to the superior Piledriver when its prices go down sometime in 2014. If you don't want to use the FX series cpu, then you should probably invest in Intel's similarly priced cpu lineups; the FX series may not perform as well as the Phenom II series, but buying the Phenom II instead of an FX cpu will just help permeate that "faildozer was AMD's biggest mistake." Purchasing Intel over AMD will permeate that "Intel builds a better cpu."

If you go Intel, but still want to support AMD, then purchase a Radeon card (preferably the 7000 series) and get some AMD based RAM.
July 27, 2012 8:58:21 PM

ok im just more confused... i will just start a poll..
July 27, 2012 9:33:07 PM

965 + 7950, problem solved. Intel is generally a bit faster in minimum FPS, not average by much. Personally I don't see it as a problem. Get the 965, save some cash and get a meaty GPU. The 965 is a quad so well threaded games will use whatever it can offer anyway.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2012 9:52:01 PM

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-cpu-scalin...
The Phenom gets you the same FPS as the 2500K where it counts.Yes... there are some games where the phenom (STARCRAFT!!!) underperforms but thats because the game is poorly coded.
Bottom line is get the Phenom and powerfull graphics card like a HD 7950.
July 27, 2012 10:12:45 PM

Will the phenom bottleneck the GPU?
July 27, 2012 10:26:22 PM

wow... i think i have just awoken the fanboys of the brands....

How about a Intel i3-2120 with HD 6950? Will it be bottlenecked? It seems like it is bridging the gap between both the systems.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 3:27:59 AM

Quote:
as for HD Radeon, only GPU I like is the HD 7870

Nvidia fanboy! 7850>560 TI any day of the week. 6870/7770/6850 owns my 550 TI all day every day. :lol: 
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 3:29:20 AM

Seriously, to the OP, you remind me of another guy on the forums whom I will not name has started like 50 threads asking the same questions, don't be a <name removed> are you actually going to buy a system at some point? Eventually you have to pull the trigger no matter which way you go. There are lots of ways to attack your build, honestly even if you don't get the "best choice possible", you really can't screw up as long as you stay away from AMD FX. (Phenom IIs are perfectly fine)

Quote:
Was there any need for that statement?

Me and Urban are not fanboys, far from it.

Recon and Urban are both knowledgeable people who will give you straight information, its actually pretty rare around here. I may poke fun of URban because he likes a lot of Nvidia cards even though theres superior AMD cards at the same price points on a lot of em, but really even so they're all pretty decent.
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 3:47:44 AM

Are you serious? Or are we just playing?

a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 3:50:01 AM

Quote:
my N560GTX-Ti Hawks are in SLi....
and a single card, THESE in-particular win..

the other unit (mine) is an EVGA GTX 580 SuperClocked...
Folding / Compute...... enough said.

nVidia = FTW.

but then if you had a real GPU and not a GTX 550Ti you would feel the same.. :p 

And how much did you pay for those cards? :o  Give it time. 550 TI does what I need it to do for now. Like I said before if you're offering, I'm accepting donations.
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 3:56:23 AM

Quote:
get for what cards.? :heink: 

I said, what... did.... you pay for your 580 and 560 TIs? GTX 580s are like what $500 bucks? 600? At that price, assuming I had that much I'd be looking at a 7970.

560 TIs cost like 230 each? I'd crossfire 2 7850s.
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 4:04:03 AM

Quote:
I said what cards.? :heink: 

You've lost me.. You said you had certain video cards, I asked you what you paid for them.... Am I crazy or is there a breakdown in communication here?

Quote:

seems your an actual nVidia hater all of a sudden.

Not at all. I like Nvidia, I'm just of the opinion there are better cards on the market from AMD.

Specifically the mid-high range. The benches show similarly priced cards performing better. I'm just stating that fact. And partially joking. Don't tell me you have a thin skin?
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 4:13:32 AM

Quote:
never-mind you don't get it...

Apparently not.

Quote:
and again, my 560Ti's beat a 7850...

Reference to reference, 7850 is the superior card to a single GTX 560 TI more often than not. Overclocking, the 7850 can move right up into GTX 570 territory. I looked, can't seem to find direct comparisons of a Twin Frozer 560 TI to a 7850, but if you got em, show em.

Quote:
so why get 2 of a losing card.?

Cus it ain't?
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 5:34:44 AM

Hokei, lol
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 5:40:45 AM

Shockattackr said:

LOL, the problem was the weak ass 6770, stick that Phenom II back in with the 560 TI and report back to us how it runs if you want to be taken seriously. :lol: 

swifty_morgan said:
i have several amd processors including 6core/quad cores, etc. I also have a quad 775 9550............ nothing amd has can touch that old 775 processor as far as sheer speed....... ( through put of information ).... ( this isn't a FPS thing girls )............... that one machine is snappier than anything else with an amd processor in it.

Thats cute lol , you should do stand-up. :lol:  Reminds me of the time when I still had my 30th Anniversary Mercury Cougar with a 4.6L V8 and this kid with a 95 civic tried to race me and lost. Told him "Willpower is no match for horsepower".
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=50
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 8:00:53 AM

sorry but you don't get it........... you gotta use the stuff to know the difference. you can look at all the fancy charts that show FPS but they don't tell the whole story.
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 8:08:46 AM

None of those benches are game related Frames per second, they are 100% productivity based applications and synthetic benches. This tells me you obviously didn't even bother to click the link. All I can say about that is, if you aren't prepared to have a discussion about your claims and back them up.. .take a hike. Are you making this stuff up as you go along or has some new technology come out to benchmark CPU performance that I'm not aware of, and so advanced that not even a dedicated tech site like AnandTech doesn't know about? Do share.
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 8:29:32 AM

BS Claim of the day

After careful consideration. I have decided that my 2003 Acura RSX Type S is faster than an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish.

I know that my Acura is a 4 cylinder with 205 horsepower and the Aston Marton is a 12 Cylinder with 500 horsepower, and I know all the quarter mile, 1/8 mile, 0-60, and top speed tests that have been done by numerous car review sources show the Aston Martin has much quicker acceleration, top speed and sustained speed, but even so, I've determined this is quite accurate. Anyone who would dare argue in the face of my logic is quite foolish indeed. :lol: 

On a more serious note, if you're referring to how quickly programs launch there are several other factors that contribute to this that have absolutely nothing to do with the processor. Including, but not limited to, the hard drive seek/read/write times, RAM, other running programs, the operating system, etc..
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 8:37:35 AM

This is alot of Addict/Expert level people. So awesome.

I'd have to say though, I had a 965BE, and for the most part it did well in games. But I decided to get a 2500K and use the 965BE in another computer, I noticed a difference in performance. Mainly situational, such as in big fights in SCII and what not.

I'd say go for the 2500K instead.

You could even settle for something like the 2400 and then be able to get that Zotac 560Ti that's been sitting on Newegg for $210 for quite awhile.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 8:40:47 AM

I can go along with that. The 2400 is good enough to handle anything that comes your way. I also have to say, I'm quite happy with Zotac, I like the yellow/black scheme they have, although I guess thats not too important unless you have a case with a side window.

Starcraft II can be pretty CPU intensive, so no argument there either, but I will say that Blizzard is pretty good about making all of their games scalable. Although Starcraft II is not one I've played personally. I've done all the Diablo games, and WoW. So I'm somewhat familiar with their history.
July 28, 2012 12:26:24 PM

nekulturny said:
BS Claim of the day

After careful consideration. I have decided that my 2003 Acura RSX Type S is faster than an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish.

I know that my Acura is a 4 cylinder with 205 horsepower and the Aston Marton is a 12 Cylinder with 500 horsepower, and I know all the quarter mile, 1/8 mile, 0-60, and top speed tests that have been done by numerous car review sources show the Aston Martin has much quicker acceleration, top speed and sustained speed, but even so, I've determined this is quite accurate. Anyone who would dare argue in the face of my logic is quite foolish indeed. :lol: 

On a more serious note, if you're referring to how quickly programs launch there are several other factors that contribute to this that have absolutely nothing to do with the processor. Including, but not limited to, the hard drive seek/read/write times, RAM, other running programs, the operating system, etc..

My 02 RSX type S can beat your 03
July 28, 2012 12:43:03 PM

but in all reality, Go with 3570k with a 7850 and win
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 5:26:57 PM

Quote:
not really, depends on engine mods...

Bone stock engine, CAI only, stock exhaust. (I hate the ricer exhaust sound)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgKZDQYV7B4

Shockattackr said:
My 02 RSX type S can beat your 03

Maybe... but I'm willing to bet I'm a better driver than you. I'm not gonna be modest about it at all lol. We race, I get to pick the course. Out here in the boonies of Maryland we got the ever so curvy I-68, I learned to drive on these roads, home field advantage works heavily in my favor, especially if you're afraid of turns.
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 5:59:21 PM

Quote:
LMAO...

Okay heres something I dont get. Why rice up an Accord, dumping all that money into it when you could have something stylish like an Infinity G37? I know I wouldn't be beefing up my Acura if I had the money for one.
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 6:03:46 PM

Quote:
also like overclocking a slightly lesser unit...
by my units of course are not lesser levels...
:D 

I suppose. I guess I've gotten over beefing up cars for the most part. When I was younger I was into all that, now I just want the damn thing to run and I'm happy. Although I do miss my Cougar. If I could have a do-over I would have never bought the Acura, I would have just gotten a loan to replace the transmission and maybe do a few "modest" modifications instead.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 7:01:40 PM

Quote:
also like overclocking a slightly lesser unit...
by my units of course are not lesser levels...
:D 

Story of my life with my car.
July 28, 2012 11:25:02 PM

anyways, i still say i5 3570k with either a 680 or 7850

Also No engine mods done to my car, just CAI and a Borla exhaust (bought it at a used car shop)
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 11:33:21 PM

I say 2500K, the 3570K isn't worthy of the $20 extra bucks. And 680s aren't even worth considering at all since 670s perform almost as well as they do. $100 bucks more for 5-10 more FPS when its already putting out well over 100? Screw that.

7850 definitely, or.. just to make mal happy, 560 TI. These kind of games, and even graphically intensive games really don't need any more muscle than that at least based on the several threads the OP has started now on the topic.

---

As for the car, yea... lol.. I hope you can handle turns! I can think of some downright nasty stretches of road. Anyone can pin the throttle and accelerate in a straight line.
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 11:39:08 PM

For what??!!!? That sucks. Give him mah facebook if you would.
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 11:48:07 PM

Haven't seen blaz around in awhile. I don't agree with everything he says, but I like the guy too. I like so many people here, you wonder why I get stuck in the middle of flame wars so often? :lol: 

Meh, theres only 2 people I really really can't stand here that I can think of off hand. I'm just an agreeable fellow when you speak reasonably lol.

a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 11:51:29 PM

Hmm, I haven't been called a punk in awhile.. Actually, I don't think I ever have been. Thats a new experience!

Yea right, you know what I look like, and I've seen what you look like. There ain't no way I'm picking a fight with you.
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2012 11:56:17 PM

Quote:
weird thing is yesterday 'blazorthon' and I went at it yesterday on like 3 or 4 threads
but by the end of the day we became cool, sort of.

Only thing I ever saw that really struck me as a bad idea, was talking about overclocking a non-K Sandy Bridge (Ref clock). Really, really bad idea from every data I've come across on it.

Quote:
I think recon-UK doesn't know when to dial it back and try a different approach.

He doesn't lol.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 29, 2012 12:07:36 AM

Wait, recon got banned? From the forums? That really sucks alot.

I guess I am going to have to watch myself on these forums and how I might argue with people.

Man I liked him too. Liked to make a point but knew what he was talking about. Especially with that 480 :) 
a b 4 Gaming
July 29, 2012 1:57:42 AM

I wouldn't mind having a 480. They're pretty nice now for their price, even so, I think I'd consider something newer. Right now I have electricity covered in my utilities, so who cares how much power our systems use? I don't. But if we decide to move out of this dump, we might not be so lucky.
a b 4 Gaming
July 29, 2012 2:02:35 AM

I'm debating between the 7850 or 7870 myself. I don't really need any more power than that.
a b 4 Gaming
July 29, 2012 2:05:11 AM

Sapphire for sure. They seem to do em the best, although I wish Zotac did AMD cards.
a b 4 Gaming
July 29, 2012 2:09:55 AM

Lol, sometimes its hard to keep track of what you like and don't like, its so inconsistent. I think I'm gonna give an AMD card a shot this time. I've always gone with Nvidia, except my Acer Laptop. That doesn't really count though since it was pretty lousy HD3000 onboard graphics. I've seen the benches, I think I want to try something new.

You said it seemed as though I hated Nvidia all of a sudden, I don't but I probably should honestly. I have one of the laptops that had the bad Nvidia chips that literally melt themselves to death. Of course, you have to replace the whole mobo to fix em, and you end up with a chip that has the same problem. The laptop was 4,000 bucks when it was new, I got it as a "hand me down", so I can't complain. But yea, had I of been the one to pay that 4 grand you can bet I'd never be buying another Nvida product again.

a b 4 Gaming
July 29, 2012 2:15:05 AM

Yea we could have too. The story with it was that I moved out of my parents house when it was bought. It was bought for my sister when she was going to college from Dell. Its an XPS M1530, fully loaded. The computer had problems with it, and my sister dropped out of college went into the Navy and left it behind. I came to visit and found it one day and asked if I could fiddle with it, determined what the problem was, found the recall/class action suit on Google, but by that time it was too late. I can't imagine how many non-computer savvy people like my mother/sister who got shafted with that.
a b 4 Gaming
July 30, 2012 10:34:57 AM

I know right? Its hard to miss you if you're still here!!!
!