6230 and 512Mb MMC

Tags:
  • Nokia
Last response: in Brands
August 3, 2004 4:27:08 PM

I have just bought a 512MMC for my 6230, only problem is the phone only see
the card as 90.2Mb?

In every other device; camera and Ipaq the card is seen as a 512Mb.

Any suggestions?

TIA

More about : 6230 512mb mmc

August 3, 2004 4:37:43 PM

"Sam King" <kinger@samjamwhamslam.com> wrote in message
> I have just bought a 512MMC for my 6230, only problem is the phone only
see
> the card as 90.2Mb?
>
> In every other device; camera and Ipaq the card is seen as a 512Mb.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

I don't think the 6230 officially supports cards > 256Mb even though by most
accounts they work, so you might have some trouble getting support.

Have you tried formatting the new card with the phone? That could help...?

ChrisM
--
Please remove shoes to reply

But what ... is it good for?
- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
commenting on the microchip.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:23:05 PM

I don't think the 6230 officially supports cards > 256Mb even though by most
> accounts they work, so you might have some trouble getting support.
>
> Have you tried formatting the new card with the phone? That could help...?
>
> ChrisM
> --

Thanks for the advice, just tried that with no joy. I have emailed Nokia,
just wait to see what they suggest.
> Please remove shoes to reply
>
> But what ... is it good for?
> - Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
> commenting on the microchip.

Related resources
August 3, 2004 6:39:11 PM

> > I don't think the 6230 officially supports cards > 256Mb even though by
most
> > accounts they work, so you might have some trouble getting support.
> >
> > Have you tried formatting the new card with the phone? That could
help...?

> > ChrisM
> > --
>
> Thanks for the advice, just tried that with no joy. I have emailed Nokia,
> just wait to see what they suggest.

Ahh, oops!

Reading advice and links from others in this thread, it seems that you
shouldn't have formatted the card with your phone. You might have to borrow
or buy a memory card reader
(£12.50 from here: http://www.mobymemory.com/products.asp?id=9)

to re-format it properly. It would seem like one of these would be useful
for faster filetransfer anyway...

ChrisM.

--
Please remove shoes to reply

But what ... is it good for?
- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
commenting on the microchip.
August 3, 2004 6:43:18 PM

I have read in many other posts that despite the 6230 erroneously reports
only a few Megs as free space available for 512MB cards, you still have the
full 512MBytes available for storage.
So the problenm is indeed very small.
August 3, 2004 6:43:19 PM

"Junior" <tropical@email.it> wrote in message
> I have read in many other posts that despite the 6230 erroneously reports
> only a few Megs as free space available for 512MB cards, you still have
the
> full 512MBytes available for storage.
> So the problenm is indeed very small.

So even though it says 90Mb free, you should still be able to fit your 500Mb
movie file on the card? ;-)

If somone with a 512Mb card and a 6230 could confirm that the problem is
simply one of mis-reporting the free space please post back here.

Thanks,

ChrisM.
August 3, 2004 6:43:20 PM

> If somone with a 512Mb card and a 6230 could confirm that the problem is
> simply one of mis-reporting the free space please post back here.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ChrisM.

See: http://forums.mobymemory.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=13...

---
August 4, 2004 12:03:34 AM

>Any suggestions?

Yeah, use it for yur other devices and not for your 230 phone.

--
John S.
August 4, 2004 12:09:04 AM

"ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in

> If somone with a 512Mb card and a 6230 could confirm that the problem
> is simply one of mis-reporting the free space please post back here.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ChrisM.

Confirmed. Although apparently the reporting bug is fixed in firmware
v4.28.

--
sA
Anonymous

> Yeah, use it for yur other devices and not for your 230 phone.
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net

When the card is filled it works fine, just don't format it on the phone.
!