JukeBox360

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Hello everyone. Have a bit of a question about Nvidia and the FXAA feature.

I know you can now turn on FXAA in the Nvidia Control Panel. My question is. When playing a game with FXAA enabled. Do you still have to have normal AA on? Or MSAA?

Big reason I ask this is because of games like BF3 or Diablo. BF3 has FXAA. If you turn that on high does this mean you can turn off the other AA option? ( which I believe is MSAA )

Same question with Diablo 3. You can use FXAA in Diablo 3. So I'd imagine you can turn off AA in game?

Am I getting this right or am I just confused about how this whole FXAA thing works.

I have a GTX 690 if that matters any.

Thanks-Juke

JukeBox360

Honorable
May 25, 2012

Thanks for the video. But it on;y shows what it does. Doesn't say anything about turning other AA features on or off. Just shows how FXAA is fast an effective. Which I already knew lol.

JukeBox360

Honorable
May 25, 2012

You really think I'd be here is the answer to that question was yes? To answer that. No.

FXAA is a stand alone AA feature that is post-process, meaning that it takes place after everything has been rendered and requires no special information to apply. It's most like AMD's MLAA which is also post-process. Because it happens after the frame is rendered, you can also apply normal MSAA and tack on FXAA as well, but it is not required.

FXAA, while pretty good, especially for games that don't offer any other form of AA, is not perfect. It will cause some blurring, although not as bad as MLAA (though MLAA 2.0 might be more comparable, but I haven't seen how 2.0 has improved).