Build with what I've got, or buy new?

Ajwork

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
Dear Community,

Since April, I've owned an MSI 890gxm-g65 motherboard. It's still unused, but I can't return it. What I had planned to do was build something similar to Maximum PC's "Midsize Menace" with the motherboard, the 1045t from Tiger Direct, and using an ide to sata ii adapter for dual blu-ray burners. I would also use two of PowerColor's single-slot hd 6850's in Crossfire, a USB 3.0 front panel pcie x1 adapter and the HT Omega Sound card.

Oh, and an array of four 3tb hard drives configured in RAID 5 and 32gb of RAM clocked to 1866mhz.

The project itself would probably cost towards $2000 over the course of a year. My main gripe is if I would be paying for what I'm getting; while the $130 1045t would never outperform similarly priced options, it'd be great to use until Piledriver is released and goes down in price. The problem with that, though, is that I'll be stuck with the 890gx chipset and unable to enjoy the chipsets of 2013 & 2014.

What I want is a Computer that I can upgrade over the course of a year with great overall performance, but also something I won't regret. I want something that can game hard on three 17" displays in Eyefinity and have a great internal server. Should I give up and purchase a new motherboard, or keep going? And if I should give up, how do I get rid of the motherboard I own now?

A.J.

P.S. My gripe with Intel is that I choose to support competition by rooting for the underdog, which in this case is AMD. Intel makes a better CPU, but doesn't AMD have its own valid options?

Ajwork

Distinguished
May 29, 2012

I was thinking LGA 2011, but you're right; for $2000, it'd be wrong to not choose Intel.

But how can I continue to support AMD, aside from purchasing their Videocards and RAM?

And what should I do with the motherboard?

TRENDING THREADS