About to purchase WoW

Angel

Im going to pick up WoW later on today and wondered what would be the best
class to start out with, I will most likely be solo'ing mostly and in most
other RPGs liked Archers, or ranged attackers, although in EQ2 I did like
healer and mage, not in EQ1 for some reason and never liked enchanters very
much, I do also like monks and some DPS fighters but tanking isn't really
for me. Well, this is all I can say to help someone reccomend a race/class,
I think I would like NE the best but not decided yet.

Angel wrote:
> Im going to pick up WoW later on today and wondered what would be the best
> class to start out with, I will most likely be solo'ing mostly and in most
> other RPGs liked Archers, or ranged attackers, although in EQ2 I did like
> healer and mage, not in EQ1 for some reason and never liked enchanters very
> much, I do also like monks and some DPS fighters but tanking isn't really
> for me. Well, this is all I can say to help someone reccomend a race/class,
> I think I would like NE the best but not decided yet.

Sounds like you should start out with a Night Elf Hunter then!

IMO - The night Elves get the nicest starting area the woods are just a
nice relaxing place to be, well apart from the stuff that wants to kill
you that is.

You don't mention whether you prefer the PvP or PvE style of play and
IMO again it is immensely important to your enjoyment of the game if
you get the style you want.

PvP = you can allways get attacked by the opposite faction anywhere.

PvE = you have to switch on a flag to enable others to *allways* attack
you, ie you can run around the opposing factions areas without getting
attacked, as long as you dont enter their cities (or stray too close to
a guard etc).

I prefer PvE as sometimes you just don't want the grief and fancy
questing without interruption - which as you say you prefer solo sounds
like you (to me)

If you play a Mage, I'd pick a Gnome for the racial traits. For a
Hunter I'd choose a Dwarf in a heartbeat.

Also, the NE starting area is probably the worst in the whole game. The
Human area has *FAR* more content, and the Dwarf/Gnome city is where
the Auction House is.

So, take that Gnome Mage or Dwarf Hunter and run him over to Elwyn
Forrest immediately after the newbie area. Make Ironforge you're "Home"
Inn along the way so you can always port back to the AH.

I have a lvl 60 human warrior that was my first character, and a lvl 32 NE
druid as my highest lvl alt. (I have a bunch of lvl 10-20 characters, too,
of various arrangements).

I would highly reccomend the druid as the most fun class. Being able to
shapeshift is really cool, and you get a lot of flexibility in how you can
play once you get a few of the different forms. I now have the bear, the
sea lion, the stealth cat and the travel cat. Plus, you are a healer so you
can do a lot of things with that when soloing (i.e. health low, root creep,
heal self, survive). You get ranged attack spells, plus melee attacks with
maces/staves or bear form/cat form. Once you hit 30 you get a bonus speed
with the travel form (which also let's you farm - at least herbs anyway - in
that form, which saves some time), as well as underwater breathing and fast
swimming with the sea lion. Some quests this will be very helpful for.

All in all, I really think the druid is about the most well-rounded class
that provides the most dynamic playing experience. YMMV.

Mike

"Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Im going to pick up WoW later on today and wondered what would be the best
> class to start out with, I will most likely be solo'ing mostly and in most
> other RPGs liked Archers, or ranged attackers, although in EQ2 I did like
> healer and mage, not in EQ1 for some reason and never liked enchanters
very
> much, I do also like monks and some DPS fighters but tanking isn't really
> for me. Well, this is all I can say to help someone reccomend a
race/class,
> I think I would like NE the best but not decided yet.

> PvP = you can allways get attacked by the opposite faction anywhere.

Not true, you can only be attacked in contested areas and opposing faction
areas at will. In your areas you have to turn on PvP just like in PvE. That
being said after about 20 or so you will almost always be in a PvP enabled
area.
With the battlegrounds PvE servers still have places where people are PvP.
Also most of the time on PvE I have PvP turned on since 30, unless I truely
just want to grind and be left alone.

Angel wrote:
> Im going to pick up WoW later on today and wondered what would be the best
> class to start out with, I will most likely be solo'ing mostly and in most
> other RPGs liked Archers, or ranged attackers, although in EQ2 I did like
> healer and mage, not in EQ1 for some reason and never liked enchanters very
> much, I do also like monks and some DPS fighters but tanking isn't really
> for me. Well, this is all I can say to help someone reccomend a race/class,
> I think I would like NE the best but not decided yet.

To put it simple, the druid is by far the most fun class to play, BUT it
is also the slowest leveller. If you want to enjoy the game as much as
possible, the druid is the class to have, as it has excellent healing
and tanking, decent nuking, limited CC and stealth, ie 5 classes in 1.
What it doesn't have is the dps of a mage or a rogue, so if you are one
of the powerlevelling types avoid as hell and go for hunter, it is quite
decent in that aspect.

mikel

Angel wrote:
> Im going to pick up WoW later on today and wondered what would be the best
> class to start out with, I will most likely be solo'ing mostly and in most
> other RPGs liked Archers, or ranged attackers, although in EQ2 I did like
> healer and mage, not in EQ1 for some reason and never liked enchanters very
> much, I do also like monks and some DPS fighters but tanking isn't really
> for me. Well, this is all I can say to help someone reccomend a race/class,
> I think I would like NE the best but not decided yet.

Sounds like the class that is closest to what you already know you like
is the Night Elf Hunter. The other obvious choice for ranged fighting is
Mage.

Less obvious, butstill good, choices for ranged fighting are Druid,
Shaman, and Warlock. You would have to play a Troll, Orc, or Tauren to
play a shaman; I must say that my Troll shaman is a lot of fun, and my
recently-created Tauren shaman is even more fun.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Angel" <Angela7422@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Im going to pick up WoW later on today and wondered what would be the best
> class to start out with, I will most likely be solo'ing mostly and in most
> other RPGs liked Archers, or ranged attackers, although in EQ2 I did like
> healer and mage, not in EQ1 for some reason and never liked enchanters
> very much, I do also like monks and some DPS fighters but tanking isn't
> really for me. Well, this is all I can say to help someone reccomend a
> race/class, I think I would like NE the best but not decided yet.

My vote would be Priest. If you go full shadow spec (all points in Shadow
line from lvls 10-40 - research how to place the points) you'll be an
extremely strong solo-er, better than most classes. At around lvl 12-14 or
so download the Group Buttons mod and spend a half-hour learning how it
works and configuring it. Get that mod down pat and you'll be a better
healer than 90% of them out there when grouping, despite the fact you're not
specced as a "true" healing priest. As a priest you'll have very few
problems finding parties to run the instances (you'll have folks whispering
you, rather than pleading in the Looking For Group channels to find
someone).

Also would recommend going mining/skinning as your two professions. Not the
most exciting professions in terms of gameplay, but with the inflation seen
on many servers you'll be better off picking the two more profitable
professions rather than the money sinks most professions are. You can
always change professions later on when you have enough gold for your
tastes.

nazgul

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002

Angel <Angela7422@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Im going to pick up WoW later on today and wondered what would be the best
> class to start out with, I will most likely be solo'ing mostly and in most
> other RPGs liked Archers, or ranged attackers, although in EQ2 I did like
> healer and mage, not in EQ1 for some reason and never liked enchanters very
> much, I do also like monks and some DPS fighters but tanking isn't really
> for me. Well, this is all I can say to help someone reccomend a race/class,
> I think I would like NE the best but not decided yet.

Sounds to me like you're in for night elf hunter. You might like that
class :)
Didn't play EQ1 or 2, but from what I heard of these games, I can draw
the next comparison:

Hunters are like beastmasters, but they are also the archers of the
game. (I'd reccomend a dwarf, or if NE that you run to Westfall after
clearing Teldrassil quests).
You might try warlocks, which are very similar to necromancers and
magicians.
Mages and priests are here as well, mages are similar to EQ ones, but
priests are different from EQ clerics. They have less armor, but
excellent offensive spells in their shadow tree.

The best soloers in the game are hunters and warlocks, because of
their pets. People fall in love with those classes, and swear that
they are the best classes in the game :)
The difference between the two is, in short:
Hunters - more DPS most of the game, faster leveling, best pullers
in the game, can get out from the most tricky situations,
can hold his DPS in long fights really well.
Warlocks - much more versatile, less pet management (no feeding etc),
can summon stones to heal and gives a resurection buff, while some
builds have as much DPS as the fire mage in the endgame.

Both are slightly hard to play until lvl 10. Then you get your
pet with hunter, and your voidwalker (tanking pet) with warlock.

Of the other classes, shamans, druids and paladins are quite decent
soloers. Druid are a bit slow in the beginning (till lvl 20),
and paladins in the late game (45+), but overall they are quite
decent and with low downtime and great survivability.

WoW is quite balanced, so any class/race combination you pick is quite
soloable, especially if you compare it to EQ. You'll enjoy whatever
you pick :)

--
Nazgul, via terminal
Visit: http://www.sfmreza.tk

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Stavros Christoforou wrote:

> To put it simple, the druid is by far the most fun class to play, BUT it
> is also the slowest leveller.

I agree with the first but not with the second of this sentence.
You really have to play a Warrior, (Holy-)Priest or Paladin to
experience the true meaning of slow leveling.

Druid is a like a breeze compared to them.

Cheers :)

If you like DPS, i suggest a mage or rogue.