Computer Cuts On and Off Repeatedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I just finished building my new computer, but I'm having a problem. It will power on and everything will start working for around 5-10 seconds, then it just cuts off, and then comes back on. It repeats this cycle over and over. I figured that it was the power supply or my wiring. I'm not really sure. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix it they would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Solution
Are the motherboard standoffs in place? Try building this outside of the computer case and see if this occurs. If not I suspect the standoffs.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
It doesn't stay on long enough for me to be able to tell, I'll try that when I get home though.
My components are:
I5 3570K
EVGA GTX GeForce 660 SC
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Thermaltake Frio Advanced CPU Cooler
32GB G.Skills Sniper Series DDR3-1866 RAM
SeaSonic X750 Gold PSU

Uberperson

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
If it is only a few seconds it may be that the mobo was fried or DOA. From what I understand if the PSU notices it is not sending power to anything it will shut off automatically. I had a situation where my light and fans would turn on for like 1-2 seconds then shut off, at first i replaced the psu thinking it was that but it turned out the board itself was dead.

You seem to be stuck in a POST loop.

Start your troubleshooting by stripping the system down to the bare essentials with only one memory module installed.

You can even remove the EVGA graphics card and troubleshoot using the Intel integrated graphics.

Add another component if the previous configuration's POST is successful. This way you may be able to determine the component causing the problem.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I don't get any image when cutting it on, it stayed on long enough for me to tell. Thanks for the help, I will try messing around with it. I'll try some tests, I think it's the motherboard though. But what do the stand offs have to do with it not working properly?

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Then that's probably the problem. What the case manual said and what the motherboard uses are different, one of the places where the motherboard has a hole there isn't a standoff. I didn't know it was a big deal and I had already installed it. I'll take it out of the case, run some things, and if it works then I'll reinstall it and use that standoff too

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

he is right sounds like its failing post

(power on self test)

if it fails this test it boot loops

best thing to do is remove all components except motherboard+cpu+1 stick of ram

then try to boot if it loads turn off and add 1 component at a time (if it failed on motherboard+cpu+1 stick of ram swap the ram for another)

Status
Not open for further replies.