Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Build
ASUS P8H61-M LE MB
i3 -3220 3.3gh 3MB cache
Ultra LSP 550 watt PSU
No separate graphics card
Linux Ubuntu 12.04 OS

Total newbie at this - did it with my 12y y/o son as a project he wanted to do. Thanks for any help.

The system ran fine for about 2 weeks. All of a sudden, it completely freezes after about 5-10 minutes of use. We get what I can only describe as a blotchy screen with random patters of black. white and some color boxes / lines across the screen. Only way to get out is a hard power down and if you try to restart too soon (less than 10-15 minutes), the fan comes on, but nothing else seems to be working.

Doesn't seem to give me enough time to fix anything before it freezes. Tried having intel scan for drivers and it just ran forever with no answer.

low_tech

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
Have you gone into the BIOS to see what temperature the CPU is running at? I had a recent similar issue with intel 3930k using a Corsair H60 sealed water cooling solution. The instructions were very poor and did not fully explain how to connect it. Since the fan on it was spinning up, I assumed it was working. One cable was not connected to the water pump, so it would overheat in about 5-10 minutes, like your situation. I noticed in the bios the heat was about 10-20 degrees over what the processor is rated for and luckily after fixing the cooler, the processor is still good (its a $500+ processor).

TRENDING THREADS