Ive decided to try it out. around $1000 to spend.

muushupork

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hello, I am posting to get advice on a $1000 self-build. I think my main concerns are longevity, playing games that i use to play on consoles, web-surfing, and occasionally using my 50" plasma as a monitor for downloaded TV shows and/or games/streams of games. I don't mind splurging a little bit and going to $1050-$1100 if it means a huge leap in value. So far i have a shopping cart on newegg with these things that i think are a good basis, but i also could be completely wrong.

GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video
$299.99

ASRock H77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
$89.99

Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53450
$199.00
--------

I think these work together and give me what I need, but maybe they are to much for my price range once i get everything else?

I think I could be fine with a 500gb HDD, and am interested in an SSD for faster OS booting, but i dont know what are good value brands.

I think I can get a cheap version of windows with my student discount, but don't know how I'd download it??

From what i have seen 8gb of corsair RAM would be good?

I have no clue how liquid cooling works or if i even need it??

Anything im missing??

Thanks for your help, this is my 2nd post on TH, the first one asking for pre-built suggestions.

Solution
DVD burners are the same price as readers tbh, ~$20, I'd get a burner just because it might be useful.

Cases are such a personal choice IMO, do you want a cheap box, a nice box, small, large, tower, mini tower, htpc, wanna show of your internals with a window, etc etc etc.

I'm new to build-your-own and psu ratings & air flow are a couple of the things I don't really get atm but personally for a budget case with what looks like good air flow, if you like the styling, I think the NZXT Crafted Series Vulcan Black ($70) is a winner, there's so many options tho.

HDDs, $70 for 500gig vs $90 for 1tb (with twice the cache too, which someone's just recommended to me), budget allowing I'd get the 1tb :D

SSDs, Intel...

muushupork

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Im a bit lost on this all so no i havent. Ive looked at a 650w corsair PSU, but dont know about cases or opticals, although i would only need a dvd drive no burner or anything. Any suggestions?

muushupork

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Yeah i can get the student discount for windows but it says to download and i dont know how i would do that. Maybe its only for the upgrade and i guess thats only if you already have vista or something.

Zaphod1138

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
DVD burners are the same price as readers tbh, ~$20, I'd get a burner just because it might be useful.

Cases are such a personal choice IMO, do you want a cheap box, a nice box, small, large, tower, mini tower, htpc, wanna show of your internals with a window, etc etc etc.

I'm new to build-your-own and psu ratings & air flow are a couple of the things I don't really get atm but personally for a budget case with what looks like good air flow, if you like the styling, I think the NZXT Crafted Series Vulcan Black ($70) is a winner, there's so many options tho.

HDDs, $70 for 500gig vs $90 for 1tb (with twice the cache too, which someone's just recommended to me), budget allowing I'd get the 1tb :D

SSDs, Intel all the way :D they have the best rep by far & they're cheap enough now that I've got a few 60gig 330 series ($70) during the past month or 2 for various people, depending on your set up I would think 60gig is enough to cache your OS/most used programs (if SRT is supported on that MoBo), $100 for 120gig if you want more capacity.

So, MoBo + CPU + GPU + dvd +case + 500gig hdd + 60gig ssd + ~$50 for RAM, +$110 (?) for psu + $20 200mm case fan + ~$30 for a couple more 120mm case fans + $65 o/s (if you figure out the student discount) = $1095 (by my count), so just inside your budget, if I've not missed anything out... Maybe lose the ssd, or combine the hhd/ssd by getting a seagate hybrid drive, $90 for 500gig/4gig ssd cache if you wanna try and shave it a little.

Anywho, just some thought from a newbie, sorry I don't have any comments on the balance of you main components.

Solution

muushupork

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
That hybrid drive looks like a perfect choice!! the only thing im worried is that from what ive been reading seagate has dropped their quality standards lately. Ive actually put together what i think is a good setup and im going to post it in a few once i figure out how to do so per the forum rules (which i just found out about) if youd like to check it out and comment id appreciate it! :)