Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

~$1500 Gaming Rig - Final Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 27, 2012 10:03:17 PM

After a few suggestions from friends and in my previous thread, here is the (tentative) final build of my rig. Any glaring issues? Incompatibilities?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Approximate Purchase Date: End of July - Mid August

Budget Range: $1300 - $1500 after shipping and rebates (could go a bit over this though)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, torrenting, CAD

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: All (starting from scratch)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: memoryexpress.com (have a discount), newegg.ca, ncix.ca

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

Parts Preferences:

CASE: Coolermaster HAF XM
I was looking for a mid tower case with less, bigger fans rather than more, smaller fans. This one seemed to do the trick, and I would also consider getting more 200mm fans for it

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor
I do not believe that I am going to need an i7 for much; I think the i5 should be able to handle most of my applications well. I do not plan on doing much heavy video editing, but I would like to run CAD programs at some point. Would this CPU give me any issues with that?

Also, I may or may not overclock in the future, but I figured I'd get the unlocked one just in case. I'm going with ivy bridge mainly because it's the newest and most powerful

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950
Previously had the Sapphire Radeon 7850 listed, but Tom's Hardware users suggested going with something better because of my budget. This was on for $150 off, so I thought it was a good deal

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 ATX
Looked up what motherboards would work well with the i5 and the above GPU, and found this. Supposedly, it is "Tom's Hardware Approved" according to NCIX, so I figured that it was a good choice

PSU: Silverstone Strider 750 Plus 750W
Tom's Hardware users suggested going with a 750W PSU in case I ever plan on doing Crossfire, and this seemed to have some pretty good reviews. Also, it is modular, so it'll be better for cable management

RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws 8GB
Tom's Hardware users recommended this RAM

HEAT SINK: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Supposedly slightly outperforms the plus model, and it was only $5 more, so I chose this. Also recommended by a Tom's Hardware user

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Recommended by Tom's Hardware users. Previously had the WD Caviar Black 1TB, but I do not REALLY need a whole lot of performance. Besides, I will also be doing regular backups to a NAS in case the worst should happen

SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB
Recommended by Tom's Hardware users. Has good reviews, and costs a little less than $1/GB

MONITOR: ASUS VE247H 23.6IN Widescreen
Recommended by my friend. I do not need a multiple screen set up right off the bat, I'd prefer to just start out simple

KEYBOARD: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard
Recommended by my friend. I do not need a fancy keyboard really either

Do not need to buy: Mouse

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920X1080

Additional Comments:
- One thing I'd like in this build is cooling, and preferably just fan cooling. The case I selected seems to have pretty good cooling, and I am unsure of whether or not I should invest in more fans for that case
- I would like this PC to be relatively quiet, but I will always be more in favour of more cooling, even if that means slightly more noise
- The above parts are not in any way final. Being my first build, I mainly gave those parts because I am looking for feedback. I've heard that there are cheaper cases out there that do just as good of a job, but I just do not know where to look or what is good or bad
- I do not care about looks for this build. If there is a crappy-looking case that is reliable for cheaper than a blinged out case, I will take the crappy one
- I would prefer a mid over a full tower
- Should I look more into NVIDIA? I am not sure which GPU series is better to get currently
- I will also most likely be getting a couple things in the states if it gives me some good savings

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I've been gaming on a Dell Studio 1747 for the past 3 years or so, and while it has been pretty good to me, it has also been slowing down a lot over the years, and it is beginning to get too hot; it idles around 50C-60C, and can easily get over 100C.

I figured that it would be a good idea to take the load off of the laptop and just build a gaming desktop, and because I've always wanted to make my own computer


Thank you for any help and suggestions!
July 27, 2012 11:24:20 PM

I think that's a great build. You will be very happy with it.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 11:26:44 PM

Very nice build.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 27, 2012 11:48:28 PM

I would try to get my hands on a GTX 670 for a budget like that.

Swap out the case with for example a Cooler Master HAF 912, and get a GTX 670 (I would recommend either the ASUS or Gigabyte version of the 670).

Personally I would go for either a Crucial m4, Samsung 830 or OCZ Vertex 4 SSD. But I'm sure that SSD you picked is fine as well.

Other than that - very good!
m
0
l
July 28, 2012 1:58:22 AM

The 7950 is fine hes in Vancouver, British Columbia and 670 is allot of money over there
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 7:51:33 PM

bigcyco1 said:
The 7950 is fine hes in Vancouver, British Columbia and 670 is allot of money over there


I think the only reason I'd go with the 670 is if it were better for CAD applications. Would I really see any major boost with it? Will it make any real noticeable differences in gaming on one screen?
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 8:54:47 PM

MR_AWESOME55 said:
I think the only reason I'd go with the 670 is if it were better for CAD applications. Would I really see any major boost with it? Will it make any real noticeable differences in gaming on one screen?
You wouldn't notice any major boost but it would be noticeable that the 670 is a more powerful faster card at least in my experience between the two it was but honestly it basically boils down to they're both good in their own ways. In overall performance when the 7950 is OC its kinda close and the difference is not noticeable. But Overall, the 670 is hands down the Superior between the two cards you just need to remember they're both good and they each card have their pluses and minuses.;)



m
0
l
July 29, 2012 9:48:42 PM

bigcyco1 said:
You wouldn't notice any major boost but it would be noticeable that the 670 is a more powerful faster card at least in my experience between the two it was but honestly it basically boils down to they're both good in their own ways. In overall performance when the 7950 is OC its kinda close and the difference is not noticeable. But Overall, the 670 is hands down the Superior between the two cards you just need to remember they're both good and they each card have their pluses and minuses.;)


Hmmm... alright, well if I wanted to hook my computer up to my 51" plasma TV at some point, what would do this better? I hear that the 3GB or VRAM on the 7950 would make it work better than the 2GB from the 670
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 9:48:49 PM

Nope, at 1080p, which even 51" HDTVs are, the GTX 670 is better.
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 9:55:51 PM

azeem40 said:
Nope, at 1080p, which even 51" HDTVs are, the GTX 670 is better.


Oh, so then does the 7950 just support MULTIPLE screens better?

Also, would it be a better deal to get the ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II at $439.99 which comes with a free game (also, is that digital download or a physical copy?), or the Gigabyte 7950 at $329.99 (currently on sale)? Is the ASUS version of the 670 the best as well?
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 9:56:27 PM

Nope, the GTx 670 has support for multiple screens just the same as the 7950.
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 10:01:53 PM

I see on newegg.com they have a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 selling for $399 USD, and it also mentions that it is recommended by Tom's Hardware. Would the performance benefits be worth the extra $70 + exchange rates?
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 10:03:17 PM

Yes, it is very much worth it.
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 10:08:39 PM

Absolutely. Go for it.
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 10:21:47 PM

MR_AWESOME55 said:
Hmmm... alright, well if I wanted to hook my computer up to my 51" plasma TV at some point, what would do this better? I hear that the 3GB or VRAM on the 7950 would make it work better than the 2GB from the 670
no the 3GB of VRAM on the 7950 would only help for multi-monitor setups or at 2560x1600 and 5760x1080 res but the GTX 670 has support for multi -monitor as well.
m
0
l
July 29, 2012 10:23:31 PM

Even at 2560x1600, the GTX 670 performs better.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 30, 2012 12:05:19 AM

MR_AWESOME55 said:
Oh, so then does the 7950 just support MULTIPLE screens better?

Also, would it be a better deal to get the ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II at $439.99 which comes with a free game (also, is that digital download or a physical copy?), or the Gigabyte 7950 at $329.99 (currently on sale)? Is the ASUS version of the 670 the best as well?
ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II is without a doubt the best 670

TechPoweUp gives the 7970 Ghz Edition an 8.5 rating
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_GHz_Edit...

TechPoweUp gives the 670 TOP an 10.0 rating, the only 10.0 rating ever
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...

Quote :

Overall the ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II is the best card I ever tested.

Share
July 30, 2012 12:34:50 AM

Make sure it is the non top cuz the top is 3 slots.
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 12:48:48 AM

azeem40 said:
Make sure it is the non top cuz the top is 3 slots.
:pfff:  totally forgot about that hes right don't get the top
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 12:53:35 AM

MR_AWESOME55 said:
I see on newegg.com they have a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 selling for $399 USD, and it also mentions that it is recommended by Tom's Hardware. Would the performance benefits be worth the extra $70 + exchange rates?
Well depends i would say YES but if it goes past $500.00 no it is not worth it IMO
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 1:00:56 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Yes


Alright, thanks. Sorry for the premature post haha

And basically, just get the low profile RAM you suggested and the build should be good to go?
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 1:03:56 AM

MR_AWESOME55 said:
Alright, thanks. Sorry for the premature post haha

And basically, just get the low profile RAM you suggested and the build should be good to go?
No problem and yes then your beast of a build is good to go i hope you enjoy it :) 
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 1:05:14 AM

Okay, thank you all for all of the help! Very excited to see how my first build turns out!
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 1:06:04 AM

Best answer selected by MR_AWESOME55.
m
0
l
August 4, 2012 11:18:22 AM

So in the end, I also ended up getting the Gigabyte Z77-D3H mobo and the Corsair HX750 PSU. I just built it and it turns on, hooray! Now to set it up...
m
0
l
August 4, 2012 3:50:48 PM

MR_AWESOME55 said:
So in the end, I also ended up getting the Gigabyte Z77-D3H mobo and the Corsair HX750 PSU. I just built it and it turns on, hooray! Now to set it up...
Cool enjoy! :D 
m
0
l
!