Sign in with
Your question

OC CPU voids Warranty... How does Intel know?

Last response: in CPUs
December 9, 2012 2:08:19 PM

Hi guys,

I have an i5-3570K and I plan to OC it to 4.5Ghz with a Zalman 140mm CPU Heatsink (CNPS14X).

(1) I know this is a very moderate OC for Ivy Bridge so I should not be expecting trouble with that kind of Heatsink
(2) I know OC is done in the BIOS which is on the motherboard
(3) I know there are other threads on this site and others discussing the matter but they were dated

So my question is: Can Intel find out about whether or not I have OCed if I were to ask for an replacement because it stopped working and I just play dumb?

P.S. Please focus on the newer generation of CPUs because what they can do is they can dedicate a small chunk of CPU space record the max frequency+voltage the CPU has ever encountered and have that part well protected from extreme voltage and heat, so if CPU is burnt, that part would still be functioning. On the other hand, the thing with this is that Intel has to put a hardware that monitors this kind of stuff on their CPU which isnt practical, but the 22nm construction tech does free up some physical CPU space.

Thanks a million
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2012 2:21:54 PM

I believe Intel will not be able to tell you have overclocked unless the CPU is burnt and crispy :D 

Also if you don't send the CPU with your motherboard and bios settings untouched.

There is this intel representative here on the forums though....he might take a look at this :whistle: 
December 9, 2012 2:25:29 PM

socialfox said:
I believe Intel will not be able to tell you have overclocked unless the CPU is burnt and crispy :D 

Also if you don't send the CPU with your motherboard and bios settings untouched.

There is this intel representative here on the forums though....he might take a look at this :whistle: 

Just wondering from a technology point of view, nothing else :whistle: 
a b à CPUs
December 9, 2012 2:27:11 PM

XxMcFlyxX said:
Just wondering from a technology point of view, nothing else :whistle: 

Yes let's put it that way :D 
Anyways just be careful tinkering with the voltage, go in small increments and keep an eye on temperatures always!

- Good Luck :) 

*Let's just hope people start making a lot of threads for this section so this thread gets pushed to the 2nd page or so on, best if it goes unnoticed :lol: 
!