Not sure how to change build

brthevio

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Hello,

I am getting ready to build my first gaming rig. I am pretty new to all of this. I was looking at a setup with an i5 processor but at this point I am looking at getting the most out of the money as far as gaming quality and FPS.

The build I was looking at used the i5 2500k with this mobo. ASrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Motherboard. What mobo would be online with this one that supports the Phenom II X4 965?

brthevio

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
actually. I will just post what the complete parts list of the build I was looking at. That way everyone can see what it is I am looking for overall.

Intel Core i5 2500K CPU
ASrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Motherboard
G.Skill 8gb RAM kit
WD Caviar Blue 3.5" 500Gb SATA 3 HDD
Silicon Power 60Gb SSD
Corsair TX-850 V2 Power Supply
Corsair Graphite 600T Special Edition White Case
XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit
XFX Radeon 6870 Graphics Card

Ok, so this was the build I was looking at, I am thinking if I go with the Phenom Cpu and a compatible Mobo and save a few bucks it would be great. Any suggestions on how to get the most "bang for the buck" would be greatly appreciated.

To give you an idea, I got injured at work in 2009 and have ALOT of time to kill. But workman's comp does not pay near what I was making so it limits my budget. I am figuring I will have in the area of $800-1000 to spend. Sitting at $800 readily available but can wait a few weeks to save a bit more if needed. I play world of warcraft and that is what the build will be for.

G

first IF you decide to go AMD please stick with an AM3+ socket, so if piledriver is all that you will be able to upgrade.
also a 850 watt PSU is so overkill. a quality 550 watt PSU will handle any cpu and single graphics card solution.

brthevio

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
I am wanting to keep it under the stated budget at this point, but would still like room for upgrade in the future. Hence keeping the power unit overkill. Would like to eventually move into dual or possibly a tri-monitor setup.

You guys are already going a little over my head, the piledriver reference lost me to be honest.

If you want to get the most bang for your buck (like everybody else does) then you want to go with an Intel based system. Sure the AMD cpu's are cheaper but there's a reason for that , they have to be in order to conpete with Intel in the retail market place.
If intel prices the i5-2500k at $220 and AMD prices the Phenom II X4 965 at the same price , nobody would buy the Phenom , so to get people to buy the Phenom AMD has to lower the price to $110 and now they think they are getting a great bang for thier buck. So it will come down to what do you want , great performance or to pay less for a cpu and get what ever performance you can get from it.
This is why AMD continues to sell thier cpu's because there are those people who just want a cheap cpu so they don't have to spend a lot for thier computer and Intel sells thier cpu's to those who want the best performance and are willing and able to pay for it.

brthevio

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
inzone, I am not looking to run everything on max settings at 1080p or anything. I currently play on an asus laptop and run around 20-30fps while raiding with the settings off non essentials turned either off or to low. So a rig that would allow me to leave the games settings at recommended or a little higher and still be comfortable at say 60-70fps and still have some room for upgrades at a later date would be simply amazing.

G

unless you are looking at a sandy bridge-E with a 3x graphic card set up, a 750 is the biggest you ought to go.

getting too big of a PSU is almost as bad as getting too small of one. efficiency takes a huge nose dive under 20% load so unless you rig idles @ 170 watts, which it won't, the PSU sits there getting hot doing nothing.

brthevio

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
So what I am getting for the most part is cut the PSU size down a step, ditch the water cooling and use that to offset the difference in price between the i5 Z68 extreme4 gen3 combo and going with and amd setup.

G

size down the psu. ditch the water cooling and get a decent air cooler like a coolermaster hyper 212+ or EVO.
look at the price difference between an intel and amd set up. if that price difference gets you a better gpu like 7870, then go for it.

brthevio

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
So I looked it all up, if I go with the i5 Z68 extreme4 gen3 combo, downsize the PSU to 750 and lose the water cooling with current prices I am looking at about $1050. Should I go with an after market cooling setup for the i5? If so, any suggestions?

CPU Cooler:COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

CPU Cooler:COOLER MASTER V6 GT RR-V6GT-22PK-R1 120mm DynaLoop CPU Cooler w/ Universal bracket & Dual Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103089#top

brthevio

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Ah, sorry, missed it in the transition from one forum to the other. Ok, so with the aftermarket cooler and the i5 setup. I am looking at just under $1100. A touch over where I was looking to go but I think from the input that spending the extra $100 to get to the i5 combo it's well worth it.

Thank you all for your input and advice and for sharing your knowledge. It is much appreciated. Might be a few more weeks before I am able to order everything but I will post again once I do all the ordering and let everyone know what the total cost with tax/shipping where applicable.

brthevio

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
I was looking at the CPU Hierarchy chart on this site and was wondering what are the differences between the Intel® Core™ i5-2310 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)
and the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz) I mean other than the GHz. I mean the are both ranked well above the AMD phenom processor I was considering earlier. Will the difference in the two really be that noticeable to someone who is extremely new to this? I am trying to maximize what I get overall for the money I spend, so I am thinking if I can save a few bucks on the processor and still be able to get a quality intel processor (the two I am asking about are ranked on the same level in the Hierarchy chart) then maybe I can up the size of the SSD drive I get.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to help me with all of these questions.

brthevio

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Ok, so I went with the asus M5a99x evo mobo, radeon 6870 gpu, the 750w corsair psu and the amd phenom II processor.

Everything is good, thing is way more than what I was really looking for, but I am not complaining in any way.

I have one issue that I can not figure out. It says to access the Bios menu on start up to hold the delete key. I have tried this. I end up with just a black screen. I can hit the reset button and it will boot up fine as long as I don't hold the delete key. I have pulled the CMOS battery out and cleared the RTC Ram multiple times trying to get everything to reset. Still can't get into the Bios menu on start up.

Anyone have any suggestions? Also, thanks again for everyone's input on the different components for the build.