phrank_10

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I've got a tower system that I use for basic browsing, finance, music and pictures (no hi-performance gaming), and I my house has started to have occasional power outages (since my kids have moved back in), so I want to get a UPS to protect my system. I know this question has been asked a lot, and I've sifted through the forums/posts and looked at calculators, but am still not sure what size is most advisable. My nature is to go for overkill, but I can't really afford too much overkill at the moment, so I want to get this fairly right. My humble computer specs are below, and I'm hoping someone can help to steer me in the right direction.

Also, I've seen refurbished UPSs on the web (e.g., at www.upsforless.com), and they advertise newly replaced batteries, completely tested UPS. Are these ok, or would it be best to steer clear of a refurbished UPS?

My system's specs:
- Tower system
o AMD FX-4100 quad core (3.60 GHz)
o 4gb RAM
o Integrated graphics
o Win7 64-bit
- 24in LCD monitor
- Powered speakers (Klipsch) with subwoofer
- Network printer
- Wireless router
- Cable modem

Thanks!

You will first need to determine if your power supply unit is able to run properly on a simulated sine wave UPS.

If it can't run on a simulated sine wave UPS you will need to get the more expensive pure sine wave UPS.

Which parts of the system will be connected to the outlets that are on battery backup?

phrank_10

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks for the response. Yes, my power supply is the Corsair TX650 (see below for specs). I would be connecting the computer, monitor, modem and router.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

All that said, maybe I'm simply confusing a surge protector with a battery backup. My main concern is to protect my equipment and data during power spikes and outages. The power isn't off for very long, so I'm not overly concerned with continued connection. I do currently have my system connected to an APC SurgeArrest surge protector, but again, I'm not sure if this is sufficient to protect my system.

Frank

UPS (i.e. Uninterruptible Power Supply) implies battery backup.

All of the AC outlets on a UPS have surge protection but not all of the AC outlets will be on battery backup during a power failure.

If you don't require that the system stay powered on long enough (i.e. on battery backup) to save any work you may be doing during the power failure then you only need to look for a good surge protected power bar to protect your devices against voltage spikes.