Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HD6950 idle temps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 5, 2012 8:09:53 AM

One of my HD6950s (DirectCU II) is idling at 70ish degrees... I haven't reapplied heatpaste yet, but the second card normally idles mid 40s... So would the heatpaste really make that much of a diff?

More about : hd6950 idle temps

June 5, 2012 8:28:37 AM

have you tried just blowing out the dust?
June 5, 2012 8:34:08 AM

idles at 70c?! jeez man get on that, what is it at load? how far away are the cards? even if they are right ontop one another 70c seems high.
Related resources
June 5, 2012 9:41:47 AM

They are two slots away from each other. And even when I'm only running on one card, it's still that high. Also, there is virtually no dust in that case either, nor in the card. At load... Well... It crashed at 128 degrees about 5 minutes ago. In BF3. But could that difference really be caused just by the heat paste?

Maybe worth trying the other cards cooler on that card?

Edit: Actually, to be fair, it took about a minute to heat up to that. And it is sitting right above a RAID card, which gets fairly hot... But 70 seems excessive still. Notably, it was working absolutely fine two weeks ago.

Best solution

June 5, 2012 9:46:48 AM

I'm not really sure about the ASUS Direct CU cards and their warranty so I wouldn't really recommend taking off the coolers unless it won't void your warranty. But if you can, check to see if the fans are spinning properly, AND check to see if the heatsink assembly is loose in anyway whatsoever.

If those aren't the issues...I'm not really sure what to tell you, maybe try replacing the TIM but that might not give you the best results either.
June 5, 2012 9:49:55 AM

mocchan said:
I'm not really sure about the ASUS Direct CU cards and their warranty so I wouldn't really recommend taking off the coolers unless it won't void your warranty. But if you can, check to see if the fans are spinning properly, AND check to see if the heatsink assembly is loose in anyway whatsoever.

If those aren't the issues...I'm not really sure what to tell you, maybe try replacing the TIM but that might not give you the best results either.

Far as I know it's under warranty, but I've done it already. The heatsink seemed quite nice and well put on as well... Fans are running... I haven't tried removing that RAID card so I'll have a go at that next.
June 5, 2012 9:52:20 AM

FtsArTek said:
Far as I know it's under warranty, but I've done it already. The heatsink seemed quite nice and well put on as well... Fans are running... I haven't tried removing that RAID card so I'll have a go at that next.

Ahh okay, so the RAID card is positioned near the card that's heating up? Most likely infront of the fans? That MIGHT be the issue, but I still can't see the card getting up to 70C idle just because of something like that..I may be wrong, however.
June 5, 2012 4:45:24 PM

128 degrees? starting to wonder if your sensor is faulty
June 5, 2012 9:08:31 PM

It should have started melting by that time, so it could possibly be a faulty sensor.

Is the card getting enough airflow? Try to just turn the fans up to 100% to see if it cools.
June 5, 2012 9:25:28 PM

I did think it was a faulty sensor as well, but I scraped off the thermal paste last night (don't have any extra to apply) and ran it and it was idling happily at 40... Soon as I put load on it, the temp jumped up to 100ish, even with fan on full. But I suspect that would be the lack of thermal paste. So, off to the shop...
June 5, 2012 9:26:53 PM

Just a general question... Why are you even trying to run it when temps are that high? your gonna burn it up...
June 5, 2012 9:29:30 PM

FtsArTek said:
I did think it was a faulty sensor as well, but I scraped off the thermal paste last night (don't have any extra to apply) and ran it and it was idling happily at 40... Soon as I put load on it, the temp jumped up to 100ish, even with fan on full. But I suspect that would be the lack of thermal paste. So, off to the shop...

Are you saying you ran it with no thermal paste? You are definitely going to need to get some of that stuff. Even with the fan at 100% the heatsink is going to do nothing with no thermal paste.
June 5, 2012 9:36:53 PM

Deemo13 said:
Are you saying you ran it with no thermal paste? You are definitely going to need to get some of that stuff. Even with the fan at 100% the heatsink is going to do nothing with no thermal paste.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's just that I knew that that paste was cheap stuff (my brother put it on while borrowing that card) so I scraped it off, it was literally baked on, and ran the card as a secondary just to test it, it idled at 42, and then I ran Furmark just to see if it was doing what it had before (in the menu of BF3 the temps would suddenly jump up and the moment it got closed would go back down, and now it's just going up and down like the other card, albeit still getting very hot due to the lack of thermal paste. I'll get some this afternoon (it's 9:30 in NZ atm) and try it out then.

June 5, 2012 9:46:44 PM

Quote:
120C! :o 

I've seen higher, but that card died... R.I.P my good ol' 4870 (137 degrees before I noticed. Then it died.) but for a card actually surviving 120 degrees for an extended amount of time... But hopefully some decent quality heat paste will make a difference. Might chuck some on the other card while I'm at it.

I think the big difference is that the DCII cooler is actually quite quiet at 100% compared to the reference cooler (on my Sapphire card and also the older 4870 I had) so you could tell when they were really under pressure to keep the cards cool... Whereas the DCII is quieter than my water cooling loop for the CPU.
June 12, 2012 1:56:20 AM

Best answer selected by FtsArTek.
!