Trying to decide a difference

Keyvaniath

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
First time auctually building the computer by myself(usually had friends come over and help me)

trying to decide on a PSU

specs:
Processor - i7 2600
Mobo - still undecided
Ram - 16 gb 1600 ddr3
Psu - This forum :)
Graphics Card - gtx 670 OC edition
case - Haf 922 2012 edition
HDD - 1tb WD 7200 rpm

socialfox

Distinguished
Greetings Human (Yes, I'm actually a fox on a computer :) )

Are we only using one GTX 670? If so 750 is enough for two of them, you could step down a bit in terms of wattage.

Here are some recommendations:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171067
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341050
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171068
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016&Tpk=Antec%20BP550

Anyways I believe Fully modular means you plug in ALL cables, where as modular means you plug in most cables but there are some pre-installed cables like the motherboard cable. I'll double check that right now.

If sticking with the 750 watt power supplies then forget the thermaltake and stick to either Corsairs.

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Modular is no cables are plugged in. You select which to use. I just got a Seasonic 750w Gold 80. Nice unit. This will allow me to run Two GPU's DTR

The cheaper ones have a wiring harness like a 89 Buick Roadmaster to plug in all kinds of antiquated stuff. It may even have a plug for a cigarette lighter. LOL :)

socialfox

Distinguished

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Quality/warranty. Silver is middle of the road. Go check out PCpartpicker and put in the price you want to pay. It is pretty slick. I am not sure if they sell to you, but I think they do?? Unknown? Anyhow if you go over there and check out what you are interested you can scroll down and see what the least amount they have sold it for in the past. I put that number in the box towards the right hand side and it will email when it gets to that price. You gotta be patient. But this is the season for sales. I bought most of my new build over there and saved 20% doing so. Also sign up for Amazon insider email. You will get discount codes for buying over there. I bought my gold Seasonic 750 for 99.00 delivered. If you are not going to add a second GPU (which if you are on a budget, you prob won't) That same PCPARTPCIKER.com site you can put your whole build together over there, save it and it will tell you if you are having any conflicting parts or lack power. Good luck and PM me if you need some help. Someone did the same here for me, so I am just passing it on.
Peace,
NetCommercial

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Furthermore SocialFox is right. It is a rating by a (so-called) neutral 3rd party. Gold is the best at not wasting power, etc.. "80" is the benchmark or stamp used. Like UL is used for electrical appliances in the USA

Keyvaniath

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
I mean I dont plan to upgrade immediatly(like buy a second one) but besides that my friend(who pretty much loves computers) said do 750w for the longrun incase you want to upgrade but yea, i would like 750w and modular, Whats the difference between that and the corsair one, I was always told corsair is better :p

socialfox

Distinguished

750 watts is a bit of an overkill, only get it IF your planning on crossfiring in the future. I also don't recommend future proofing your power supply since there is no guarantee that you will ever use that much wattage, and therefore waste your money. I also believe some power supplies take a hit towards efficiency when not using too much of its labelled wattage.

Edit: Also specify which other power supply your comparing to the TX-750, I kind of posted a lot of power supplies... :lol:

socialfox

Distinguished

Well the efficiency thing matters only when you barely use any of the labelled wattage. SO I guess your good to go IF you are going to SLI in the future.

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
First off two monitors does not mean anything to the power supply. Your monitors are plugged into their own sockets. Thinking you may want to use a second GPU is not the same as knowing down the road you will need one. Video games DO NOT need a second GPU. Video, CAD, Complex equations do. Yet, it does not add to your GPU as far as two 1gb GPU's does not equal 2gb of GPU rather it mirrors the other GPU. Hence having to buy the exact same GPU to work in tandem with each other like when you so RIAD or stripe HDD's together. If you are going to add a second GTX card (which I doubt very much) over buying a better bigger card later instead, with more Ram say a 3gb 680 will get you there. After all I paid 750.00 for a 2gb quadro card for video editing. 2 gb is plenty big these days as most software will utilize your Ram to render etc.... Like I always say, "Most people do not see anything over 12mp in a digital camera, yet they sell 16-18 and 24mp." Those are for sales people to sell something to the uneducated who think having more Mega Pixels will make them shoot better pictures. If I gave you the most accurate rifle in the world, that does not mean it will make you shoot any better, nor does it mean that you would ever use it's capabilities, if plinking and not sniping.

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
For some reason I cannot edit so I will add this too. You do not need two GPU's to have even 3 monitors. You only need one GPU with multi outs. Such as DVI, HDMI, HDMI outs. Which I think you do. Yes your GPU may crank up 12 or so watts but not 100's

Keyvaniath

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
I just had knowledge dropped on me, So, what power supply should I get? like watt wise? i currently have I think a 550W(not sure, might be 500 or even 450) I have a gtx 550ti, I know for a FACT I want Modular and GOLD because my computer is on 19hours/day sometimes 24hours and im thinking long term, more efficent power = less cost here and there in the long run. So someone lemme know what I need to do.

socialfox

Distinguished
The Seasonic X Series power supply is better than the Corsair TX series. It is classified as tier one this list where as TX is tier 2.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Nonetheless, both power supplies are formidable. Go with which ever you want. At the end of the day they are all some of the best power supplies made and will last you a long time as long as you care for them.

Edit: Whoops put TX when it should be HX, nonetheless they are still in the same class.