Do I need more RAM?

Hey all,

I think I need more of something, but I'm not sure if it's RAM, CPU power or
upload bandwidth.

The problem is mostly when I'm in places with lots of other players, like in
front of the AH in IF (I almost never log off inside IF, cos it takes
forever and a day to log back on).

It also sometimes hangs a bit in big areas, I suspect it's loading another
part of the world. This is not a very big problem though.

I'm guessing it's RAM I need, but do you guys think?

My comp is a XP2000+ (palomino) with 512 RAM, and my connection is a
2048/256 (it will be to upgraded 2048/512 soon though).

TIA for any suggestions.

Devast8or
35 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I think I need more of something, but I'm not sure if it's RAM, CPU
    > power or upload bandwidth.
    >
    > The problem is mostly when I'm in places with lots of other players,
    > like in front of the AH in IF (I almost never log off inside IF, cos
    > it takes forever and a day to log back on).
    >
    > It also sometimes hangs a bit in big areas, I suspect it's loading
    > another part of the world. This is not a very big problem though.
    >
    > I'm guessing it's RAM I need, but do you guys think?
    >
    > My comp is a XP2000+ (palomino) with 512 RAM, and my connection is a
    > 2048/256 (it will be to upgraded 2048/512 soon though).
    >
    > TIA for any suggestions.
    >
    > Devast8or

    1gb is recommended. I only have 512 and it takes a good minute or so for my
    machine to catch up everytime I stone to Org or get a bat/bird/flying mammal
    to Org.

    --
    Moif of Bloodhoof <The Suffering>
    http://www.wowrankings.com/viewb.htm?id=27138
    http://www.the-suffering.co.uk

    YES. RAM helps alot! I have an Althlon XP 2500+, and I used to have
    512 megs of ram. I would lag alot in IF, during raids, and when flying
    on griffins. I just upgraded to 1 gig of ram a couple of weeks ago and
    it was money well spent. I do not lag at all now!

    YES. RAM helps alot! I have an Althlon XP 2500+, and I used to have
    512 megs of ram. I would lag alot in IF, during raids, and when flying
    on griffins. I just upgraded to 1 gig of ram a couple of weeks ago and
    it was money well spent. I do not lag at all now!

    "Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > My comp is a XP2000+ (palomino) with 512 RAM, and my connection is a
    > 2048/256 (it will be to upgraded 2048/512 soon though).

    The one thing you didn't mention was your video card, which is equally important
    or perhaps more important than the other specs.

    I have 768MB RAM, Athlon XP2800+, 3mbit DSL, and an Nvidia MX440 64mb video
    card. Guess which part slows me down the most?

    You can do things like shutting off all background programs and stuff that lives
    in the system try beside the clock, turning down the resolution and draw
    distances in wow, and making sure video card drivers are updated. Might help a
    bit.

    Devast8or wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I think I need more of something, but I'm not sure if it's RAM, CPU power or
    > upload bandwidth.
    >
    > The problem is mostly when I'm in places with lots of other players, like in
    > front of the AH in IF (I almost never log off inside IF, cos it takes
    > forever and a day to log back on).
    >
    > It also sometimes hangs a bit in big areas, I suspect it's loading another
    > part of the world. This is not a very big problem though.
    >
    > I'm guessing it's RAM I need, but do you guys think?

    It's 99% likely to be the RAM. I upgraded from 512MB to 1GB back in
    March and the game went from minute-long lags when arriving in/leaving
    Ironforge and a few other places to pretty much minimal lag. Maybe a
    second or two hiccup while flying in.

    --
    Regards,
    J.D. Spangler

    "Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I think I need more of something, but I'm not sure if it's RAM, CPU power
    > or
    > upload bandwidth.
    >
    > The problem is mostly when I'm in places with lots of other players, like
    > in
    > front of the AH in IF (I almost never log off inside IF, cos it takes
    > forever and a day to log back on).
    >
    > It also sometimes hangs a bit in big areas, I suspect it's loading another
    > part of the world. This is not a very big problem though.
    >
    > I'm guessing it's RAM I need, but do you guys think?
    >
    > My comp is a XP2000+ (palomino) with 512 RAM, and my connection is a
    > 2048/256 (it will be to upgraded 2048/512 soon though).
    >
    > TIA for any suggestions.
    >
    > Devast8or

    Ram is king get 1Gb and the difference is huge

    UFO wrote:

    > Ram is king get 1Gb and the difference is huge

    Thanks all, I'll go look for some RAM :)

    Devast8or

    Grant wrote:

    > The one thing you didn't mention was your video card, which is equally important
    > or perhaps more important than the other specs.

    I have gForce Ti4600 128MB.

    The reason I didn't mention the video card was that I never suspected
    that was the problem, since the game runs just fine most of the timem
    with no stuttering or anything like that. It's mostly when I meet a lot
    of other players (like outside the IF AH and Vault, that place is crazy
    :)

    > I have 768MB RAM, Athlon XP2800+, 3mbit DSL, and an Nvidia MX440 64mb video
    > card. Guess which part slows me down the most?

    Yikes :) Isn't the MC440 more or less equivalent to the gForce2
    cards? No wonder you got problems with that card m8.

    > You can do things like shutting off all background programs and stuff that lives
    > in the system try beside the clock, turning down the resolution and draw
    > distances in wow, and making sure video card drivers are updated. Might help a
    > bit.

    Yeah, I'll try that and see if it helps.

    Devast8or

    Grant wrote:
    > "Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>My comp is a XP2000+ (palomino) with 512 RAM, and my connection is a
    >>2048/256 (it will be to upgraded 2048/512 soon though).
    >>

    > The one thing you didn't mention was your video card, which is equally important
    > or perhaps more important than the other specs.
    >
    > I have 768MB RAM, Athlon XP2800+, 3mbit DSL, and an Nvidia MX440 64mb video
    > card. Guess which part slows me down the most?
    >
    > You can do things like shutting off all background programs and stuff that lives
    > in the system try beside the clock, turning down the resolution and draw
    > distances in wow, and making sure video card drivers are updated. Might help a
    > bit.

    Video card has nothing to do with the OP's problem. I can run WoW on a
    32MB Ati Mobility just fine (with some details off of course), but you
    cannot realistically play the game on 256 MB RAM, even if you have a 256
    MB graphics card, since the game uses main RAM to store most things.
    Yes, the video card might result in some slower fps or loss of a frame
    or two, but try logging to IF AH (or flying over IF AH) with less than 1
    gig ram and you will see what I mean :)

    Stavros Christoforou <S.Christoforou_removeme_@iri.tudelft.nl> wrote:
    > Grant wrote:
    > > "Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>My comp is a XP2000+ (palomino) with 512 RAM, and my connection is a
    > >>2048/256 (it will be to upgraded 2048/512 soon though).
    > >>

    > > The one thing you didn't mention was your video card, which is equally
    > > important or perhaps more important than the other specs.
    > >
    > > I have 768MB RAM, Athlon XP2800+, 3mbit DSL, and an Nvidia MX440 64mb
    > > video card. Guess which part slows me down the most?
    > >
    > > You can do things like shutting off all background programs and stuff
    > > that lives in the system try beside the clock, turning down the
    > > resolution and draw distances in wow, and making sure video card
    > > drivers are updated. Might help a bit.
    > >

    > Video card has nothing to do with the OP's problem. I can run WoW on a
    > 32MB Ati Mobility just fine (with some details off of course), but you
    > cannot realistically play the game on 256 MB RAM, even if you have a 256
    > MB graphics card, since the game uses main RAM to store most things.
    > Yes, the video card might result in some slower fps or loss of a frame
    > or two, but try logging to IF AH (or flying over IF AH) with less than 1
    > gig ram and you will see what I mean :)

    Yep, in this game, mostly everything powergamers like to boast about their
    machines is irrelevant. First priority is RAM. If you can do it, don't even
    start below 1GB. Take 2GB if you can afford it (RAM is quite cheap
    currently).

    Second priority is IO speed. Which means your basic system architecture
    (which you can't change but you've got a slight advantage if you have a
    modern AMD system due to their built-in memory controller in the cpu)
    followed by the HD subsystem where you can increase performance
    tremendously with the correct setup. Optimum would probably be a WD SATA
    Raptor 75GB disc (yes 75, costs about as much as 300GB normally). This disc
    is able to push sustained 60MB+/sec out while "normal" ATA/SATA disc are
    somewhere in the 30-40MB/sec region. Great for those situations where you
    run the first time into a raid of the opposite faction.

    Most load lag in WoW is simply caused by the game loading (or re-loading in
    the case of too few RAM) textures and itemdata of stuff worn by other
    players from disc.

    More RAM means less or no re-loading during the game and better IO
    performance means less or no effects during first-time loading.

    Raw CPU and GPU power is largely irrelevant. But you shouldn't have 6 year
    old stuff there either, of course. But you don't need high-end stuff here.
    Above 1GHz and a graphic card that's less than 3 years old and you're fine.

    Optimize RAM, then IO and you'll be happy with WoW.

    CU

    René

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    I have 1.5GB and IF still pauses occasionally. Most of the pausing is
    due to textures being uploaded to the video card's texture memory.
    Harddrive -> RAM -> video card. A 256MB video card should have noticebly
    less pausing than a 128MB card.

    Also a different bus architecture like PCI-E might be slightly better
    than AGP.

    Reducing the texture sizes will help aswell.

    Lastly when you upgrade RAM, keep in mind not all RAM is the same and
    different modules can conflict, causing errors and crashes. The best
    solution is to buy memory kits. These are memory modules which where
    manufactured at exactly the same time. This can be expensive, so at
    least chosing the same brand is a step in the right direction.

    Your net connection is fine, an upgrade wouldn't improve your "ping"
    much. Unless you have other people using the connection at the same time :)

    Devast8or wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I think I need more of something, but I'm not sure if it's RAM, CPU power or
    > upload bandwidth.
    >
    > The problem is mostly when I'm in places with lots of other players, like in
    > front of the AH in IF (I almost never log off inside IF, cos it takes
    > forever and a day to log back on).
    >
    > It also sometimes hangs a bit in big areas, I suspect it's loading another
    > part of the world. This is not a very big problem though.
    >
    > I'm guessing it's RAM I need, but do you guys think?
    >
    > My comp is a XP2000+ (palomino) with 512 RAM, and my connection is a
    > 2048/256 (it will be to upgraded 2048/512 soon though).
    >
    > TIA for any suggestions.
    >
    > Devast8or

    Rene schreef:
    <snip>
    > Second priority is IO speed. Which means your basic system architecture
    > (which you can't change but you've got a slight advantage if you have a
    > modern AMD system due to their built-in memory controller in the cpu)
    > followed by the HD subsystem where you can increase performance
    > tremendously with the correct setup. Optimum would probably be a WD SATA
    > Raptor 75GB disc (yes 75, costs about as much as 300GB normally). This disc
    > is able to push sustained 60MB+/sec out while "normal" ATA/SATA disc are
    > somewhere in the 30-40MB/sec region. Great for those situations where you
    > run the first time into a raid of the opposite faction.

    How about S-ATA Raid bit stipping? (with two normal (small) S-ATA HDs)
    +
    2x512Mb Dual DDR 400MHz memory (some of the more expensive mobo's
    support this)
    +
    ATI Radeon X700Pro or NVidia 6600GT PCI-E
    +
    AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 939)

    Qua software:
    Windows XP home SP2
    Kerio Firewall 4.1.3
    Opera 8.0.1
    and *nothing* else

    That would be the ultimate (affordable), dedicated WoW client for me ;-D

    Anyways, seems the Recommended specs on the box are bullocks:
    P4 1500
    512 Mb
    64Mb DirX9.0c card (GForce 5700!)

    Ave,
    Thomas
    --
    Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

    On 2005-07-01 14:12:01 +0200, "Devast8or" <deva1@ofir.dk> said:

    > Grant wrote:
    >>

    >> The one thing you didn't mention was your video card, which is equally
    >> important
    >> or perhaps more important than the other specs.
    >
    > I have gForce Ti4600 128MB.
    >
    > The reason I didn't mention the video card was that I never suspected
    > that was the problem, since the game runs just fine most of the timem
    > with no stuttering or anything like that. It's mostly when I meet a lot
    > of other players (like outside the IF AH and Vault, that place is crazy
    > :)

    Def the RAM.

    I have:
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    1GB CAS2 Dual Channel RAM
    RAID O 240GB SATA (Striping)
    nForce3 Ultra MoBo

    and then an uber

    Geforce 4600 Ti 128MB

    And I have very little to no lag, so I think it is safe to assume its
    not up to your Video Card...
    --
    http://www.new-roots.com/
    Nerghal - Undead Warlock lvl 56 - Bloodscalp EU

    "Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I think I need more of something, but I'm not sure if it's RAM, CPU power
    > or
    > upload bandwidth.
    >
    > The problem is mostly when I'm in places with lots of other players, like
    > in
    > front of the AH in IF (I almost never log off inside IF, cos it takes
    > forever and a day to log back on).
    >
    > It also sometimes hangs a bit in big areas, I suspect it's loading another
    > part of the world. This is not a very big problem though.
    >
    > I'm guessing it's RAM I need, but do you guys think?
    >
    > My comp is a XP2000+ (palomino) with 512 RAM, and my connection is a
    > 2048/256 (it will be to upgraded 2048/512 soon though).
    >
    > TIA for any suggestions.
    >
    > Devast8or

    1 gig min. on the RAM in my opinion.
    If you really want to get nuts, get a RAID controller card & 2 hard drives &
    go with RAID-0.
    WoW seems to use about 400-450meg of the 1 gig of RAM on my machine & spends
    a ton of time thrashing the hard drive. For whatever reason WoW loves to
    read/write the hard drive no matter how much RAM is installed.

    I plan to go with a RAID-0 setup some time in the future.

    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.invalid> wrote:
    > Rene schreef:
    > <snip>
    > > Second priority is IO speed. Which means your basic system architecture
    > > (which you can't change but you've got a slight advantage if you have a
    > > modern AMD system due to their built-in memory controller in the cpu)
    > > followed by the HD subsystem where you can increase performance
    > > tremendously with the correct setup. Optimum would probably be a WD
    > > SATA Raptor 75GB disc (yes 75, costs about as much as 300GB normally).
    > > This disc is able to push sustained 60MB+/sec out while "normal"
    > > ATA/SATA disc are somewhere in the 30-40MB/sec region. Great for those
    > > situations where you run the first time into a raid of the opposite
    > > faction.
    >
    > How about S-ATA Raid bit stipping? (with two normal (small) S-ATA HDs)

    Good for performance. Only do it if you dont mind losing all your data or
    you really really do backups. (that is if you meant RAID 0 which is the one
    you would want for performance)

    > 2x512Mb Dual DDR 400MHz memory (some of the more expensive mobo's
    > support this)

    many currently - this ceased being elusive 1 year ago or so.

    > ATI Radeon X700Pro or NVidia 6600GT PCI-E
    > +
    > AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 939)
    >
    > Qua software:
    > Windows XP home SP2
    > Kerio Firewall 4.1.3
    > Opera 8.0.1
    > and *nothing* else
    >
    > That would be the ultimate (affordable), dedicated WoW client for me ;-D
    >
    > Anyways, seems the Recommended specs on the box are bullocks:
    > P4 1500
    > 512 Mb
    > 64Mb DirX9.0c card (GForce 5700!)

    Ok from CPU speed, playable from RAM and GPU. Still I would call that the
    minimum.

    CU

    Rene

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    Ram, defiantely ram, i had the same problem upgrade to 1g and 90% of those
    problems go away, btw my system specs are clsoe were close to yours, after i
    upgraded to 1g i ve rarely had a problem.

    Melkuth wrote:
    > I have 1.5GB and IF still pauses occasionally. Most of the pausing is
    > due to textures being uploaded to the video card's texture memory.
    > Harddrive -> RAM -> video card. A 256MB video card should have
    > noticebly less pausing than a 128MB card.
    >
    > Also a different bus architecture like PCI-E might be slightly better
    > than AGP.

    I got 1.5GB RAM and the only pausing I get is when I stone to IF or log on
    in IF.

    --
    www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
    Spotter for the PWR truck #9

    Rene schreef:
    > "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>Rene schreef:
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>>Second priority is IO speed. Which means your basic system architecture
    >>>(which you can't change but you've got a slight advantage if you have a
    >>>modern AMD system due to their built-in memory controller in the cpu)
    >>>followed by the HD subsystem where you can increase performance
    >>>tremendously with the correct setup. Optimum would probably be a WD
    >>>SATA Raptor 75GB disc (yes 75, costs about as much as 300GB normally).
    >>>This disc is able to push sustained 60MB+/sec out while "normal"
    >>>ATA/SATA disc are somewhere in the 30-40MB/sec region. Great for those
    >>>situations where you run the first time into a raid of the opposite
    >>>faction.
    >>
    >>How about S-ATA Raid bit stipping? (with two normal (small) S-ATA HDs)
    >

    > Good for performance. Only do it if you dont mind losing all your data or
    > you really really do backups. (that is if you meant RAID 0 which is the one
    > you would want for performance)

    Not really an issue if you use the machine exclusively for WoW :-) [All
    the backups will be at the Blizzard Authen. servers after all].

    I know a guy who does nothing else with his P4 2500 than play WoW and
    browse the web! I think he needs a faster graphics card though (NVidia
    5600 256MB IIRC). His gameplay will get choppy in e.g. Booty Bay if he
    has his video settings too high (1024x768 flatscreen).
    Thomas
    --
    Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

    Bruin schreef:
    <snip>
    > 1 gig min. on the RAM in my opinion.
    > If you really want to get nuts, get a RAID controller card & 2 hard
    > drives & go with RAID-0.
    > WoW seems to use about 400-450meg of the 1 gig of RAM on my machine &
    > spends a ton of time thrashing the hard drive. For whatever reason WoW
    > loves to read/write the hard drive no matter how much RAM is installed.
    >
    > I plan to go with a RAID-0 setup some time in the future.

    Be sure not to make the same mistake I made a couple of years ago. I
    bought an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo with S-ATA Raid + Two identical Maxtor
    40GB IDE HDs :-)

    Also, installing S-ATA is hard. You need drivers on a floppy that XP
    (hopefully) will ask for when you boot from the install cd-rom.

    Of course you also need to set a lot of stuff in your Bios to get things
    running.

    hth,
    Thomas
    --
    Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.invalid> wrote:
    > Rene schreef:
    > > "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.invalid> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Rene schreef:
    > >><snip>

    > >>How about S-ATA Raid bit stipping? (with two normal (small) S-ATA HDs)
    > >

    > > Good for performance. Only do it if you dont mind losing all your data
    > > or you really really do backups. (that is if you meant RAID 0 which is
    > > the one you would want for performance)
    >
    > Not really an issue if you use the machine exclusively for WoW :-) [All
    > the backups will be at the Blizzard Authen. servers after all].

    Not your addons and data, but yes. Makes WoW a very expensive game, though
    :)

    > I know a guy who does nothing else with his P4 2500 than play WoW and
    > browse the web! I think he needs a faster graphics card though (NVidia
    > 5600 256MB IIRC). His gameplay will get choppy in e.g. Booty Bay if he
    > has his video settings too high (1024x768 flatscreen).

    I have a AMD Athlon 2400 and a GeForce Ti 4200 playing on a 1600x1200. At
    first I used full resolution but I have switched back to 1280x1024 since
    the patch in March or April that allowed to see much further. When that
    came, the card just could no longer keep up the framerate. But at 1280 it
    is fine. The card is quite old compared what is currently being out but
    performs more than well.

    CU

    Rene

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    In article <42CE7794.3080205@hccnet.nl>,
    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:

    > Devast8or schreef:
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > I think I need more of something, but I'm not sure if it's RAM, CPU power or
    > > upload bandwidth.
    > >
    > > The problem is mostly when I'm in places with lots of other players, like in
    > > front of the AH in IF (I almost never log off inside IF, cos it takes
    > > forever and a day to log back on).
    > >
    > > It also sometimes hangs a bit in big areas, I suspect it's loading another
    > > part of the world. This is not a very big problem though.
    > >
    > > I'm guessing it's RAM I need, but do you guys think?
    > >
    > > My comp is a XP2000+ (palomino) with 512 RAM, and my connection is a
    > > 2048/256 (it will be to upgraded 2048/512 soon though).
    >
    > Having been to IF myself lately, I can tell that I was shocked how much
    > my game lagged and stuttered. I figured it must have been all the
    > different player textures loaded into my videocard, so I set them to
    > their lowest setting and everything runs fine now (I had everything
    > cranked up to maximum detail before I entered IF, 1024x768).
    >
    > I guess you really need a cool videocard to play WoW in IF at maximum
    > detail (the server was queued at that time). Maybe even 512Mb? I have
    > ATI Radeon 9700 128Mb and it just wasn't enough as it seems.
    >
    > I wonder if Blizzard has anything to say on this..
    >
    > I don't really like how the game looks now :-( I really miss the hi-res
    > textures, maybe I should get myself a new graphics card..
    >
    > Athlon XP 2600
    > 512 Mb 333Mhz RAM
    > 800/256 KB ADSL connection
    > Windows 98SE (nl)

    After you upgrade to 1 or 2 GB RAM (biggest WoW bottleneck), a new
    vidcard is what you need. It's painful, it's not an expense that you
    can easily defend to the gf/spouse/family, but IMHO it's a necessity. :)

    I play at 1600x1200, all features maxxed (except anisotropic filtering)
    and the game is smooth, real and encompassing in a way that it just
    isn't at lower settings. I can't imagine going back... it would be like
    replacing my TV with a 13" black and white, using aerial reception. I
    had to shell out $450 for the ASUS ATI X800 PRO and the performance is
    great (20-60fps in most of WoW, with my settings, sometimes 15fps in
    giant XR raids) but with the occasional overheat crashes and lack of
    temp monitoring IC, I can't say it's a perfect card. I'll probably
    spend even more money on the replacement, but maybe I better get a job
    first.

    --
    Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (49), Undead mage
    Dagobert (34), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

    chocolatemalt schreef:
    > In article <42CE7794.3080205@hccnet.nl>,
    > "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:

    >>Devast8or schreef:
    >>
    >>>Hey all,
    >>>
    >>>I think I need more of something, but I'm not sure if it's RAM, CPU power or
    >>>upload bandwidth.
    >>>
    >>>The problem is mostly when I'm in places with lots of other players, like in
    >>>front of the AH in IF (I almost never log off inside IF, cos it takes
    >>>forever and a day to log back on).
    >>>
    >>>It also sometimes hangs a bit in big areas, I suspect it's loading another
    >>>part of the world. This is not a very big problem though.
    >>>
    >>>I'm guessing it's RAM I need, but do you guys think?
    >>>
    >>>My comp is a XP2000+ (palomino) with 512 RAM, and my connection is a
    >>>2048/256 (it will be to upgraded 2048/512 soon though).
    >>
    >>Having been to IF myself lately, I can tell that I was shocked how much
    >>my game lagged and stuttered. I figured it must have been all the
    >>different player textures loaded into my videocard, so I set them to
    >>their lowest setting and everything runs fine now (I had everything
    >>cranked up to maximum detail before I entered IF, 1024x768).
    >>
    >>I guess you really need a cool videocard to play WoW in IF at maximum
    >>detail (the server was queued at that time). Maybe even 512Mb? I have
    >>ATI Radeon 9700 128Mb and it just wasn't enough as it seems.
    >>
    >>I wonder if Blizzard has anything to say on this..
    >>
    >>I don't really like how the game looks now :-( I really miss the hi-res
    >>textures, maybe I should get myself a new graphics card..
    >>
    >>Athlon XP 2600
    >>512 Mb 333Mhz RAM
    >>800/256 KB ADSL connection
    >>Windows 98SE (nl)
    >

    > After you upgrade to 1 or 2 GB RAM (biggest WoW bottleneck), a new
    > vidcard is what you need. It's painful, it's not an expense that you
    > can easily defend to the gf/spouse/family, but IMHO it's a necessity. :)
    >
    > I play at 1600x1200, all features maxxed (except anisotropic filtering)
    > and the game is smooth, real and encompassing in a way that it just
    > isn't at lower settings. I can't imagine going back... it would be like
    > replacing my TV with a 13" black and white, using aerial reception. I
    > had to shell out $450 for the ASUS ATI X800 PRO and the performance is
    > great (20-60fps in most of WoW, with my settings, sometimes 15fps in
    > giant XR raids) but with the occasional overheat crashes and lack of
    > temp monitoring IC, I can't say it's a perfect card. I'll probably
    > spend even more money on the replacement, but maybe I better get a job
    > first.

    Maybe you can 'underclock' your processor and memory in your BIOS (I
    know I can). But what causes most instability with such a high end
    system is not enough power from your powersupply. I have 350Watt and
    would like to go higher if I ever assemble such a system as yours.
    350Watts is the minimum for e.g. a X800XT card (there is a reason for it
    having two power plugs you know?!).

    I just keep wondering, do you have 256Mb on your vid card or more? Seems
    you could still use a (little) performance boost in your system..

    TIA,
    Thomas
    - --
    Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

    In article <42ceae06$0$95510$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:

    > chocolatemalt schreef:

    > > After you upgrade to 1 or 2 GB RAM (biggest WoW bottleneck), a new
    > > vidcard is what you need. It's painful, it's not an expense that you
    > > can easily defend to the gf/spouse/family, but IMHO it's a necessity. :)
    > >
    > > I play at 1600x1200, all features maxxed (except anisotropic filtering)
    > > and the game is smooth, real and encompassing in a way that it just
    > > isn't at lower settings. I can't imagine going back... it would be like
    > > replacing my TV with a 13" black and white, using aerial reception. I
    > > had to shell out $450 for the ASUS ATI X800 PRO and the performance is
    > > great (20-60fps in most of WoW, with my settings, sometimes 15fps in
    > > giant XR raids) but with the occasional overheat crashes and lack of
    > > temp monitoring IC, I can't say it's a perfect card. I'll probably
    > > spend even more money on the replacement, but maybe I better get a job
    > > first.
    >
    > Maybe you can 'underclock' your processor and memory in your BIOS (I
    > know I can). But what causes most instability with such a high end
    > system is not enough power from your powersupply. I have 350Watt and
    > would like to go higher if I ever assemble such a system as yours.
    > 350Watts is the minimum for e.g. a X800XT card (there is a reason for it
    > having two power plugs you know?!).
    >
    > I just keep wondering, do you have 256Mb on your vid card or more? Seems
    > you could still use a (little) performance boost in your system..

    All very solid advice... but none of it helped in this case.

    I spent a few weeks troubleshooting it because my mobo/cpu temps were
    just fine, and the ati utility claims it will give you alarms for temp
    problems with the vidcard. What I did not know then was that my vidcard
    has no temp monitoring IC, and the ati utility will not warn you of
    this... and that it will give you no alarms.

    In any case, I tried underclocking a bit, a bit more, and then all the
    way to minimum settings. No help. I upgraded the power supply for good
    measure, 450W or so, good brand with good amperage, and... no help. I
    measured the voltages with a multimeter at start-up, at idle, and under
    load during 3D benchmarks and while playing WoW... no problems at all,
    very solid measurements. There were indeed off by up to 10% from the
    mobo-reported numbers, so the geek advice about never trusting BIOS
    voltage measurements is true, even with an ASUS mobo.

    What nearly solved the problem was removing the side of the case. What
    fixed it entirely was putting a small desk fan beside it, blowing right
    on the vidcard. What brought the problem back was summer weather... 90
    degrees here most days, and 80-85 near the computer. So, finally I will
    be compelled to install the aftermarket vidcard cooling stuff I bought a
    long while ago. :)

    The X800 PRO does have 256MB. I'm sure an upgrade would run smoother,
    but the prices are still a bit steep. The best thing I could do to my
    current system is get a faster drive... I watch people with much
    dinkier systems than me get off the zep far quicker because my drive is
    still serving up the textures, etc.

    --
    Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (49), Undead mage
    Dagobert (34), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

    chocolatemalt schreef:
    <snip>
    > giant XR raids) but with the occasional overheat crashes and lack of

    (P.S. Have you considered taking the side of the case when you play?
    That is supposed to help things running a bit on hot days).

    Thomas
    --
    Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

    In article <42ceaf27$0$95484$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:

    > chocolatemalt schreef:
    > <snip>
    > > giant XR raids) but with the occasional overheat crashes and lack of
    >
    > (P.S. Have you considered taking the side of the case when you play?
    > That is supposed to help things running a bit on hot days).
    >
    > Thomas

    Bingo! I think you would've solved this problem much faster than I did.
    :)

    --

    chocolatemalt schreef:
    > In article <42ceaf27$0$95484$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    > "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:
    >

    >>chocolatemalt schreef:
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>>giant XR raids) but with the occasional overheat crashes and lack of
    >>
    >>(P.S. Have you considered taking the side of the case when you play?
    >>That is supposed to help things running a bit on hot days).
    >>
    >>Thomas
    >

    > Bingo! I think you would've solved this problem much faster than I did.
    > :)

    Water cooling would really do the trick, but that seems like a very
    risky thing to do yourself. Maybe something is also wrong with the
    cooling paste between your videocard CPU and its fan (be sure to remove
    the old paste first). Or your video CPU might have a 'hot spot' making
    it unable to run very fast. Even setting the video mode down to
    1280x1024 might help (which looks good enough for me, I even run on
    1024x768 because I fear the letters would get too small otherwise).

    And you can probably download tools/software to overclock (or
    underclock!) your video card. Every little bit helps..

    Are you going to use RAID to load the textures from your hd faster?
    Access time (in ms) is also very important for fast loading..

    And after a few updates, your game install harddisk is probably
    fragmented. You could run defrag on it.. And stuff near the start of the
    harddisk is mostly accessible faster then stuff located near the edges
    of the platters. So you might want to install wow first on an empty new
    hd and otherwise keep it clear.

    Hope your video cooler kit works for you!

    Have fun playing WoW,
    Thomas
    --
    "You can't be safer, can't be more secure than with a breast in each
    palm, that's the way I was born and that's the way I want to die" -

    In article <42cfeea5$0$15850$3a628fcd@reader10.nntp.hccnet.nl>,
    "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote:

    > chocolatemalt schreef:
    > > In article <42ceaf27$0$95484$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    > > "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl> wrote:
    > >

    > >>chocolatemalt schreef:
    > >><snip>

    > >>(P.S. Have you considered taking the side of the case when you play?
    > >>That is supposed to help things running a bit on hot days).
    > >>
    > >>Thomas
    > >

    > > Bingo! I think you would've solved this problem much faster than I did.
    > > :)
    >
    > Water cooling would really do the trick, but that seems like a very
    > risky thing to do yourself. Maybe something is also wrong with the
    > cooling paste between your videocard CPU and its fan (be sure to remove
    > the old paste first). Or your video CPU might have a 'hot spot' making
    > it unable to run very fast. Even setting the video mode down to
    > 1280x1024 might help (which looks good enough for me, I even run on
    > 1024x768 because I fear the letters would get too small otherwise).

    The ATI X800 chipset has known cooling issues by design flaws. It's
    possible mine is particularly bad due to cooling paste snafus or such,
    but that should be mooted by installing the aftermarket cooler.

    > And you can probably download tools/software to overclock (or
    > underclock!) your video card. Every little bit helps..

    Oddly, massive underclocking and/or setting the resolution down to the
    lowest settings did not stop or lessen the crashes. Perhaps the GPU is
    still going "full-out" regardless of the settings, since there is no
    real ceiling on FPS. Without a monitor for the GPU temp or load, I just
    can't tell.

    > Are you going to use RAID to load the textures from your hd faster?
    > Access time (in ms) is also very important for fast loading..

    Getting a single new drive that does something like 60MB/s is probably
    my next strategy. I'd have to see the benchmarks again for how RAID 0
    on PC/IDE architecture really improves throughput, but I seem to recall
    that it's only marginal, not 2x as you'd expect.

    > And after a few updates, your game install harddisk is probably
    > fragmented. You could run defrag on it.. And stuff near the start of the
    > harddisk is mostly accessible faster then stuff located near the edges
    > of the platters. So you might want to install wow first on an empty new
    > hd and otherwise keep it clear.

    Defragged several times till all files were contiguous, no change
    noticeable. It's just an old slow drive, embarrassing an otherwise good
    system.

    > Hope your video cooler kit works for you!

    Thanks, me too. Will post results once the work is done.

    --
    Eonar: Hemophage (60), Human warrior Purge (49), Undead mage
    Dagobert (34), Human mage Vaik (12), Night Elf rogue

    Overclocking is so frequent nowadays. You can find some simple guides
    on the Internet, like this:

    http://gadgetdope.com/archives/000040_how_to_overclock_ati_mobility_radeon_gpu.html

    You won't know until you try it.

    chocolatemalt <chocolatemalt@dim=dot=com.invalid> wrote in message news:<chocolatemalt-854C25.11405709072005@news.isp.giganews.com>...
    > In article <42cfeea5$0$15850$3a628fcd@reader10.nntp.hccnet.nl>,
    > "Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.nl.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > chocolatemalt schreef:

    > > > Bingo! I think you would've solved this problem much faster than I did.
    > > > :)
    > >
    > > Water cooling would really do the trick, but that seems like a very
    > > risky thing to do yourself. Maybe something is also wrong with the
    > > cooling paste between your videocard CPU and its fan (be sure to remove
    > > the old paste first). Or your video CPU might have a 'hot spot' making
    > > it unable to run very fast. Even setting the video mode down to
    > > 1280x1024 might help (which looks good enough for me, I even run on
    > > 1024x768 because I fear the letters would get too small otherwise).
    >
    > The ATI X800 chipset has known cooling issues by design flaws. It's
    > possible mine is particularly bad due to cooling paste snafus or such,
    > but that should be mooted by installing the aftermarket cooler.
    >
    > > And you can probably download tools/software to overclock (or
    > > underclock!) your video card. Every little bit helps..
    >
    > Oddly, massive underclocking and/or setting the resolution down to the
    > lowest settings did not stop or lessen the crashes. Perhaps the GPU is
    > still going "full-out" regardless of the settings, since there is no
    > real ceiling on FPS. Without a monitor for the GPU temp or load, I just
    > can't tell.
    >
    > > Are you going to use RAID to load the textures from your hd faster?
    > > Access time (in ms) is also very important for fast loading..
    >
    > Getting a single new drive that does something like 60MB/s is probably
    > my next strategy. I'd have to see the benchmarks again for how RAID 0
    > on PC/IDE architecture really improves throughput, but I seem to recall
    > that it's only marginal, not 2x as you'd expect.
    >
    > > And after a few updates, your game install harddisk is probably
    > > fragmented. You could run defrag on it.. And stuff near the start of the
    > > harddisk is mostly accessible faster then stuff located near the edges
    > > of the platters. So you might want to install wow first on an empty new
    > > hd and otherwise keep it clear.
    >
    > Defragged several times till all files were contiguous, no change
    > noticeable. It's just an old slow drive, embarrassing an otherwise good
    > system.
    >
    > > Hope your video cooler kit works for you!
    >
    > Thanks, me too. Will post results once the work is done.

    Different video cards do present very different views of the game
    world.

    We were talking to the Druid Trainer who gives the Bear Form quest in
    Darnassus.

    I'd done the quest earlier but this time I noticed the trainer was
    wearing this big "claw" glove on his one hand. I never noticed it
    before. So I told my girlfriend, sitting behind me, on my old
    computer, "Cool. Look at his glove." "Huh?" "His glove. It looks
    like a paw." "I don't see it."

    I turned around and sure enough the handler was just as I remembered
    him from before. When I first ran into him I was playing on my old
    computer, running a Radeon 9600 XP card. He was not wearing a glove.

    But I have a new computer now with a new ATI X700 PCI Express card.
    And on my machine he is clearly wearing a glove.

    I wonder what else changes simply based on the video card your running
    with? I will say my girlfriends computer lags less than mine when we
    come into Ironforge or Ogrimmar. I see more things, and am paying the
    price for it with increased lag.

    I was participating in a raid/attack on Southshore. The lag was DEADLY
    and complete. I remember running towards the front line, being paused,
    and then resuming nearly at the inn with 5 guards on me. :) I turned
    off the shaders, reduced the distance to closest, and reduced texture
    details, and it was mostly fine.

    Ordinarily I can run the video full-bore with all the features, but
    it's adjustable downward and I needed it.

    It is a different game with 1 gig installed much better frame rate. Also
    found this is a review on gamespot.com and it was amazing the difference on
    some systems. And do not go hog wild on the game setting with your computer
    setup.

    Robert S. schreef:
    > Different video cards do present very different views of the game
    > world.
    >
    > We were talking to the Druid Trainer who gives the Bear Form quest in
    > Darnassus.
    >
    > I'd done the quest earlier but this time I noticed the trainer was
    > wearing this big "claw" glove on his one hand. I never noticed it
    > before. So I told my girlfriend, sitting behind me, on my old
    > computer, "Cool. Look at his glove." "Huh?" "His glove. It looks
    > like a paw." "I don't see it."
    >
    > I turned around and sure enough the handler was just as I remembered
    > him from before. When I first ran into him I was playing on my old
    > computer, running a Radeon 9600 XP card. He was not wearing a glove.
    >
    > But I have a new computer now with a new ATI X700 PCI Express card.
    > And on my machine he is clearly wearing a glove.
    >
    > I wonder what else changes simply based on the video card your running
    > with? I will say my girlfriends computer lags less than mine when we
    > come into Ironforge or Ogrimmar. I see more things, and am paying the
    > price for it with increased lag.
    >
    > I was participating in a raid/attack on Southshore. The lag was DEADLY
    > and complete. I remember running towards the front line, being paused,
    > and then resuming nearly at the inn with 5 guards on me. :) I turned
    > off the shaders, reduced the distance to closest, and reduced texture
    > details, and it was mostly fine.
    >
    > Ordinarily I can run the video full-bore with all the features, but
    > it's adjustable downward and I needed it.

    I think I will wait for the nForce 7xxx and Radeon XIxxx series then. I
    heard there will be a new processor next year (AMD K9) with improved
    memory (DDR3). I hope I can wait that long and don't buy an 850XT PCIe
    with everything else maxed also!

    Who said World of Warcraft ran fine on low-end systems...

    Thomas
    --

    "Thomas J. Boschloo" wrote:

    > Robert S. schreef:
    > > Different video cards do present very different views of the game
    > > world.
    > >
    > > We were talking to the Druid Trainer who gives the Bear Form quest in
    > > Darnassus.
    > >
    > > I'd done the quest earlier but this time I noticed the trainer was
    > > wearing this big "claw" glove on his one hand. I never noticed it
    > > before. So I told my girlfriend, sitting behind me, on my old
    > > computer, "Cool. Look at his glove." "Huh?" "His glove. It looks
    > > like a paw." "I don't see it."
    > >
    > > I turned around and sure enough the handler was just as I remembered
    > > him from before. When I first ran into him I was playing on my old
    > > computer, running a Radeon 9600 XP card. He was not wearing a glove.
    > >
    > > But I have a new computer now with a new ATI X700 PCI Express card.
    > > And on my machine he is clearly wearing a glove.
    > >
    > > I wonder what else changes simply based on the video card your running
    > > with? I will say my girlfriends computer lags less than mine when we
    > > come into Ironforge or Ogrimmar. I see more things, and am paying the
    > > price for it with increased lag.
    > >
    > > I was participating in a raid/attack on Southshore. The lag was DEADLY
    > > and complete. I remember running towards the front line, being paused,
    > > and then resuming nearly at the inn with 5 guards on me. :) I turned
    > > off the shaders, reduced the distance to closest, and reduced texture
    > > details, and it was mostly fine.
    > >
    > > Ordinarily I can run the video full-bore with all the features, but
    > > it's adjustable downward and I needed it.
    >
    > I think I will wait for the nForce 7xxx and Radeon XIxxx series then. I
    > heard there will be a new processor next year (AMD K9) with improved
    > memory (DDR3). I hope I can wait that long and don't buy an 850XT PCIe
    > with everything else maxed also!
    >
    > Who said World of Warcraft ran fine on low-end systems...

    It can, but only if you turn the graphics settings WAY down. And, of
    course, have "adequate" memory :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton schreef:

    > "Thomas J. Boschloo" wrote:
    <snip>
    >>I think I will wait for the nForce 7xxx and Radeon XIxxx series then. I
    >>heard there will be a new processor next year (AMD K9) with improved
    >>memory (DDR3). I hope I can wait that long and don't buy an 850XT PCIe
    >>with everything else maxed also!
    >>
    >>Who said World of Warcraft ran fine on low-end systems...
    >>

    > It can, but only if you turn the graphics settings WAY down. And, of
    > course, have "adequate" memory :)

    I just added the line 'SET gxApi "opengl"' to my Config.wtf file, and I
    think it looks better now somehow! I actually saw 'fog' in a cave while
    I walked through it, something I didn't see before. The game also seems
    to run more smoothly, but that might just be my imagination..

    I have also added more detail to my environment textures again. Hope
    everything keeps working when I get to IF..

    (so many settings, which ones to choose!)
    Thomas
    --
    Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

RAM Warcraft Video Games