Will my crappy processor bottleneck a HD 7850?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ1217

Honorable
Hi guys, I've decided with a HD 7850 to play battlefield 3. My computer is fairly old (this is the first time im upgrading it since 2008), and i was wondering whether my Core 2 Duo E8400 would bottleneck a HD 7850.

If it does, I have more than enough to buy an i5, but then i'm not sure what motherboard to buy with it (my current one is 775).
Any tips would be great :D. I'm not a Tech expert, so if you dumb it down for me, that would be great to :D.

~JJ1217

It MIGHT bottleneck the 7850 a little bit, I'm not too sure.

However, if you have the money to buy an i5, I would suggest upgrading to an i3-2120 and an H61 motherboard :) it would be the most cost effective solution in my opinion. It would roughly cost the same as getting a 3570k/2500k.

JJ1217

Honorable
I honestly have no idea on how to check my ram. All i know is that i have 2gb ram. In response to Sunius, is there any way to check my ram? In reply to Mocchan, I would prefer a quad core for gaming, so although i can afford an i3 and motherboard, I would rather spend the extra money.

Thanks for the help!
~JJ1217

A good way to check would be to download a program called CPU-Z. It can show you your exact CPU, Motherboard, and RAM :)

If you can spend the extra money for a quad core, go for it! By all means, yes! :)

Here's an example for ya
cpu-z.png

G

You pretty much have to upgrade everything. Core 2 Duo and DDR2 memory are getting too old for HD 7000 series GPU and you need new motherboard to make everything work.

arnoldlouie

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I am not sure if the thread is still alive.. I have the same cpu and I found a review that has a e8400 paired with a HD 7970 and sure their is a lot of bottleneck in some games but getting a better video card can deliver a playable frame rate. You would be surprised at how the e8400 performed.. Try the 7850 first before buying a new rig. i5 2500k plus gtx 670 would be a better combination.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=816&page=11

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

No it died quite some time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.