Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU Light blinking with new motherboard, wont power on

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2012 5:39:40 PM

Hi, I got a new motherboard, cpu (technically apu) and ram combo for my parents, they were running a p4 and it was insanely slow.
I hooked everything up but nothing's turning on. I tried jumping the front panel power pins with no success. I've noticed that the PSU light on the back was dimly blinking. I hooked up the old motherboard and before I even turned it on the light was bright and solid. It also boots up..

I just used a caculator and if I did it right I am pushing about 230~watts with a 250PSU.
1 stick 4gb ram
amd a4-3400 2.7 apu
gigabyte a55m mobo
1 5400rpm hdd (have 2 but didn't hook it up)
2 cd-rw drives
1 floppy drive
4 rear usb ports plus i have a pci 5 usb expansion
2 front usb
I'm also using IDE to Sata adapters.

Could the blinking light and no power mean it's already drawing too much to power up? Everythings connected correclty..

Thanks

Best solution

December 9, 2012 6:52:04 PM

Hi, I used this PSU calculator here http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power and made a couple of assumptions - that all your hdds would be in, that all your USB ports could be in use and that you have 2 x 120mm case fans - one in one out.

I made your recommended wattage psu, at 90% load for max efficiency, 341 watts. So yes, you are way over what your PSU can take. Also, since the P4, you will need additional power connection to the Mobo - a big plug and potentially a small one, check your new mobo manual as the CPU power can sometimes be on another plug - if so, I doubt your old unit has it due to its age.

If I were you, I'd get yourself a 350w or 400w psu, and try and stretch to a badged unit if you can, the no-name units are cheap yes, but rarely deliver what they say on the tin and in tests here on THG have at times literally blown up when loaded to the levels they say on the tin.

Bear in mind also, that PSU makes no allowance for later putting in discrete graphics if you decide to upgrade them - so if in future you put a card in, you would need to also put in a 450w+ psu as well depending on the card.

Hope that helps some.
Tarm
December 18, 2012 11:54:46 PM

Best answer selected by veedubdan74.
Score
Related resources
!