Graphics Card Playing Up?

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Hi,

Recently my gpu (asus cucore HD 5770) has been acting weird.... Sometimes when I am using my pc for browsing the net my monitor randomly says 'no signal' for a few seconds then it goes back to what I was viewing. I thought it was the hdmi cable that was faulty so I replaced it, but this still continues to happen (although it rarely happens now, maybe 3-5 times a week as opposed to previously when it did it 3-5 times a day, and more if the table was bumped).
The display on the monitor also randomly blacks out/freezes when I am either browsing or playing a game (dirt 3, just cause 2, nfs series, prototype, and cod mw3 primarily at 1920x1080, not on very high settings) and only goes back to normal if I force restart my pc via a button on my case (raidmax aelous I think).
This has only been happening within the past month or two. Would any of you know why this is happening?

pc specs:
intel core i5 2400
8gb ram
hd 5770
AOC 2436Vwh monitor

any help would be greatly appreciated :D.

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
A similar thing was happening to my video card, except it's an Nvidia card.

The problem was the latest drivers are a bit glitchy with the 600 series GPUS especially overclocked cards (even stated by Nvidia themselves) and causes the video card driver to crash. That causes the screen to go black then come back on after a few seconds when the drivers recover.

I'm not saying it's the exact problem but sounds similar.

To fix mine I just rolled back the drivers and it's been fine ever since, I wouldn't regard that as an answer to your problem though because they are totally different cards, brands, manufactures etc.

I did a little research and some other people have a similar problem:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1063112-ati-hd-5770-driver-crashing-issue/

I suggest looking into drivers crashing on Google for your card and see if you can find any more info on that lead. Could be something else, but it's worth doing a little research to see if more people are having the same issue.

Goodluck

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I have just updated the drivers to 12.4 (was 12.3) and so far nothing strange has happened. This may be the problem but it is too early for me to assess if the problems have been fixed.

Just out of curiosity, do you know of any programs that test your gpu for errors/problems?