Need help buying a PSU!

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 6:00:09 PM

I'd lean a bit towards the Cooler Master power supply but in truth both are terrible.
Score
December 9, 2012 6:15:15 PM

With all due respect to socialfox, I'm not sure if I would say that both of those products are "terrible" (there are truly terrifyingly bad PSUs on the market...these are not it). Both are more or less the same - i.e. you gain this and lose that with either choice, so you're basically on par in terms of which one you go with. That said, I would not recommend either if you have the means to spend some more cash. These are not efficient PSUs in the modern sense, they have nearly 8 year old specs on them, but they will do the job so yeah, it all boils down to the cash you're willing to drop.
Score
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 6:21:11 PM

omnimodis78 said:
With all due respect to socialfox, I'm not sure if I would say that both of those products are "terrible" (there are truly terrifyingly bad PSUs on the market...these are not it). Both are more or less the same - i.e. you gain this and lose that with either choice, so you're basically on par in terms of which one you go with. That said, I would not recommend either if you have the means to spend some more cash. These are not efficient PSUs in the modern sense, they have nearly 8 year old specs on them, but they will do the job so yeah, it all boils down to the cash you're willing to drop.

Haha, no need for the respect thing :lol: 

Anyways if you take a look at this:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

The TR2 falls in the tier 5 list, classified as junk (in my words) and the Cooler Master in Tier 4 which is still not recommended and cannot output its labelled wattage.

You are correct in a way there have been other power supplies that have done worse, such can be seen on the johnnyguru website. Of course, we all have varying opinion in defining what is terrible and what is not, but to me those are bad choices for a power supply, in fact I cannot guarantee the GTX 560ti will work with either power supply.
Score
December 9, 2012 6:22:36 PM

thanks a lot man nd yeah ik there not as good as corsair but since i dont have the money to buy one of them im going with these. but thanks a lot
Score
December 9, 2012 6:24:41 PM

socialfox: now youre scaring me into not buying none of them lol
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 6:26:28 PM

zICesar94Iz said:

It may work, but if you can stretch a few more dollars we can ensure it will work and it will be safe. I wasn't trying to scare you on purpose :lol: 

Was just trying to make my point on the quality of those power supplies....
State your budget and both omnimodis78 and I will search for a suitable power supply IF you want to get another one.

Score
December 9, 2012 6:28:11 PM

so wat PSU would you guys recomand me to buy that doesnt cost to much
Score
December 9, 2012 6:29:26 PM

i have 220 dollars nd imma buy the video card i mention nd i need a new PSU if i buy that card
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 6:29:34 PM

Budget? Give us a value and we can find a suitable one.
Score
December 9, 2012 6:32:13 PM

i said i have a 220 dollar budget lol
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 6:33:57 PM

Woops, you posted before I seen it :lol: 

How about this one?
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&m...

Free shipping and mail in rebate. Will be worth it and completely safe.
December 9, 2012 6:38:08 PM

yeah i like it, its a good PSU right?
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 6:39:58 PM

zICesar94Iz said:
yeah i like it, its a good PSU right?

VERY GOOD :lol: 
Score
December 9, 2012 6:41:14 PM

ill mess you when ever i need some help thank a lot :) .
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 6:43:44 PM

zICesar94Iz said:
ill mess you when ever i need some help thank a lot :) .

Feel free to do, I welcome everyone usually to PM relating to their thread or anything else but seems like you beat me to it :lol: 
Score
December 9, 2012 6:45:50 PM

hahahah
Score
December 9, 2012 6:45:53 PM

Best answer selected by zICesar94Iz.
Score
December 9, 2012 6:52:59 PM

zICesar94Iz said:

Actually you should be scared and count your blessings that someone was able to point this out to you! I would stay away from a tier-4...let alone tier-5....PSU, no matter how broke I was! I stand corrected, I based my "not so terrible" assessment on specs and brand alone, but yeah, if there's one thing you should never compromise with, that's the PSU - think about it, if it breaks in a bad way, it can bring down other or all the other devices in your system that it powers (aka everything) - I've seen it happen!
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 6:56:42 PM

omnimodis78 said:
Actually you should be scared and count your blessings that someone was able to point this out to you! I would stay away from a tier-4...let alone tier-5....PSU, no matter how broke I was! I stand corrected, I based my "not so terrible" assessment on specs and brand alone, but yeah, if there's one thing you should never compromise with, that's the PSU - think about it, if it breaks in a bad way, it can bring down other or all the other devices in your system that it powers (aka everything) - I've seen it happen!

Hey we all make mistakes, no need to worry :) 
I have made a few mistakes before but at the end of the day all that matters is we learn something.
Score
December 9, 2012 6:58:10 PM

socialfox said:
Haha, no need for the respect thing :lol: 

Anyways if you take a look at this:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

The TR2 falls in the tier 5 list, classified as junk (in my words) and the Cooler Master in Tier 4 which is still not recommended and cannot output its labelled wattage.

You are correct in a way there have been other power supplies that have done worse, such can be seen on the johnnyguru website. Of course, we all have varying opinion in defining what is terrible and what is not, but to me those are bad choices for a power supply, in fact I cannot guarantee the GTX 560ti will work with either power supply.

Thanks for the clarification, and I appreciate the link you provided!
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 7:05:02 PM

zICesar94Iz said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i did some more research nd the PSU you told me about is gonna cost me $56 but wiht the mail in rebate its gonna be $46 so go me hahahhaha

Ah, never saw that on Newegg. I usually go to this website called PC part picker and just choose a power supply there, I guess the website can't calculate Newegg's percentage off with promo codes... Anyways all the better for you!
Score
December 9, 2012 7:06:32 PM

hahahah yeah, im so exited now , im gonna get A BAD ASS PSU nd imma get a new video card to play my games at max settings
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 7:11:03 PM

zICesar94Iz said:
hahahah yeah, im so exited now , im gonna get A BAD ASS PSU nd imma get a new video card to play my games at max settings

Your first gaming build? I had the same feeling :lol: 
Anyways want to state your video card and CPU? Just want to compare it...
I myself have the Phenom II X4 955 Black edition for my CPU and the Asus HD 7770 which maxes out all games I play with @ 1600x900.
Score
December 9, 2012 7:17:02 PM

nahhh im just upgrading my computer lol
i have a geforce 9500 gt
cpu amd athlon x4 645
nd i have a 1280x1024 resolution monitor
but when i start getting more money imma upgrade nd build a new computer , i already have wat i want on my wishlist lol
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 7:20:25 PM

Nice, you should have no troubles at that resolution with your new GTX 560 TI!
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 7:29:53 PM

Well lets walk through it one step at a time.
Are you going to do any thing ram heavy? For a gaming build 8gb is more than enough.
The computer case you chose is fine if it strikes your fancy.

Now on to the important part...motherboards.
Are you looking to stay on the AM3+ platform or wanting to move on to Intel?
Intel is generally the king for gaming processors right now. HOWEVER, their prices for the processors are a bit on the pricy side but the performance in games surpasses AMD.

For that resolution you could stay with AMD. I would recommend something like the FX-4300, FX- 6300 or Phenom II X4 965 Black edition.

As for the motherboard, go for Asus.
Score
December 9, 2012 7:34:11 PM

i think imma stay with amd. so having 16 gb or ram wouldnt help that much for gaming?
so asus motherboards are the best?
nd thanks when i have the money to buy wat i want ill mess you lol
Score
December 9, 2012 7:38:34 PM

hahhah ight man until next time lol
o nd do you have a job in working with computers?
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 7:41:53 PM

Nope, don't have a job at a computer store yet. I'm a paper boy in fact :lol: 
My hobbies include building and working with computer, staring at walls and windows :D 
Score
December 9, 2012 7:43:21 PM

hahah you know alot about computers tho
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 7:47:39 PM

Well I had my first computer when I was 10, most people share a computer with their brothers but I had my own at the age of 10. Though obviously it wasn't custom built, I believe it was an Dell Optiplex GX-240. Anyways I'm taking to much of your time.

So farewell for now,
- Socialfox :hello: 
Score
!