Need help buying a PSU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
With all due respect to socialfox, I'm not sure if I would say that both of those products are "terrible" (there are truly terrifyingly bad PSUs on the market...these are not it). Both are more or less the same - i.e. you gain this and lose that with either choice, so you're basically on par in terms of which one you go with. That said, I would not recommend either if you have the means to spend some more cash. These are not efficient PSUs in the modern sense, they have nearly 8 year old specs on them, but they will do the job so yeah, it all boils down to the cash you're willing to drop.

socialfox

Distinguished

Haha, no need for the respect thing :lol:

Anyways if you take a look at this:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

The TR2 falls in the tier 5 list, classified as junk (in my words) and the Cooler Master in Tier 4 which is still not recommended and cannot output its labelled wattage.

You are correct in a way there have been other power supplies that have done worse, such can be seen on the johnnyguru website. Of course, we all have varying opinion in defining what is terrible and what is not, but to me those are bad choices for a power supply, in fact I cannot guarantee the GTX 560ti will work with either power supply.

socialfox

Distinguished

It may work, but if you can stretch a few more dollars we can ensure it will work and it will be safe. I wasn't trying to scare you on purpose :lol:

Was just trying to make my point on the quality of those power supplies....
State your budget and both omnimodis78 and I will search for a suitable power supply IF you want to get another one.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

Actually you should be scared and count your blessings that someone was able to point this out to you! I would stay away from a tier-4...let alone tier-5....PSU, no matter how broke I was! I stand corrected, I based my "not so terrible" assessment on specs and brand alone, but yeah, if there's one thing you should never compromise with, that's the PSU - think about it, if it breaks in a bad way, it can bring down other or all the other devices in your system that it powers (aka everything) - I've seen it happen!

socialfox

Distinguished

Hey we all make mistakes, no need to worry :)
I have made a few mistakes before but at the end of the day all that matters is we learn something.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

Thanks for the clarification, and I appreciate the link you provided!

socialfox

Distinguished

Ah, never saw that on Newegg. I usually go to this website called PC part picker and just choose a power supply there, I guess the website can't calculate Newegg's percentage off with promo codes... Anyways all the better for you!

socialfox

Distinguished

Your first gaming build? I had the same feeling :lol:
Anyways want to state your video card and CPU? Just want to compare it...
I myself have the Phenom II X4 955 Black edition for my CPU and the Asus HD 7770 which maxes out all games I play with @ 1600x900.

Status
Not open for further replies.