The LTD-163 is the best DVD Drive.

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
The answer in the title for you!
No more questions about what is the best.
The sites:
<A HREF="http://www.cdrlabs.com" target="_new">http://www.cdrlabs.com</A>
<A HREF="http://www.cdrinfo.com" target="_new">http://www.cdrinfo.com</A>
confirm this.

Now I'd just say reply to this, sayin anything so people stop wondering and they can see it when they go in this forum. But I know that won't last long.

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
(I posted this already in another post, but I feel it belongs here too)

The ltd-163 may not be the fastest and best DVD drive very soon. The Asus DVD-E616 may replace it. There is conflicting info on this drive see below.
"...ASUSTeK Computer launched its latest optical storage drive, the ASUS DVD-E616. The ASUS DVD-E616 16X DVD-ROM drive delivers highest-quality DVD playback by incorporating latest technologies such as ATA/100 transfer speeds and ASUS patented DDSS II (second generation Double Dynamic Suspension System) technology. The ASUS DVD-E616 will be shipping in quantities late August 2001.

The ASUS DVD-E616 leads other DVD-ROM drives by utilizing ATA/100 data transfer speeds, the fastest transfer interface to date. This ground-breaking enhancement enables high-speed transfer rates, error checking and ensures compatibility with future interface standards. The ASUS DVD-E616 features patented ASUS DDSS II “second generation Double Dynamic Suspension System” technology. ASUS DDSS II is implemented into the DVD-E616 to reduce the overall vibration and resonance associated with high-spin speeds of performance optical drives. The result is optimally quiet operation and smooth DVD playback.

Features
-Enhanced IDE (ATAPI) bus interface, supporting ATA/100, ATA/66, ATA/33, Multi-word DMA mode 2 and PIO mode 4
-DVD-ROM max. Transfer rate: 21640 KB/s (16X) vs. CD-ROM max. transfer rate: 7200 KB/s (48X)
-Full Playability: accessing all format DVD-ROM/R/RW, DVD+RW and CD-ROM/R/RW discs
-Built-in ASUS patented DDSS II for excellent vibration and noise control
-Random access time DVD: 105 ms vs. CD:85 ms typical
-Built-in AI Auto Speed Adjustment Technology
-High Speed DAE/ Digital audio extraction
-Supporting DOS, Windows 95/98/2000/ME/NT/XP, Netware, Linux, OS/2 Warp
-Vertical/ horizontal mounting
-Free bundle: Latest ASUS DVD Playback Program..."

The Quote on the main page of www.cdrinfo.com (above) says it is a 16x dvd and 48x cd reader, while in the cebit sections of the site (http://www.cdrinfo.com/cebit2001/asus.shtml) it says it is a 50x cd reader.
"This is the latest DVD-ROM from Asus. The drive supports 16x DVD and 50x CD reading. This is the first time we see 16x DVD-ROM with such increased CD reading speed. The drive has 512KB of buffer among with 85ms random access time. Last it includes Asus "DDSSII" system:

"...Asus has developed a unique suspension design - coined "DDSS II" for Double Dynamic Suspension System - for it's DVD-ROM. To reduce the vibration caused by the spindle motor, Asus build a damper between the core mechanisms and traverse as the first suspension and as isolator between the traverse and loader mechanism as the second suspension. Both damper and isolater have precisely been calculated and designed using special rubber materials with different levels of elasticity.."

However all things considered, about the only thing that is going to make the DVD-E616 faster than the LTD-163 is its built in "Built-in AI Auto Speed Adjustment Technology
" that causes it to use different reading techniques for different types of written modes and media (as I understand it) and its "-Random access time DVD: 105 ms vs. CD:85 ms typical". A bonus about the DVD-E616 DVD is it is quieter with its special DDSS II. However, the same Built-in "AI Auto Speed Adjustment Technology" that is supposed to make it a bit faster reading could slow it down I'm thinking in some applications where you want the computer to do the error correction for you in DAE and tell it to go at max spped while, the drive with the Built-in AI Auto Speed Adjustment Technology slows it self down to read the audio cd with fewer errors. Also the ltd-163 is available now for $50 while this new drive will probably be somewhere around $80 or more (I'm guessing). The ATA-100 thing is just marketing crap since the speeds will never take advantage of 100 MBs p/s. While I am pretty confident in that statement, I am confused as to why plextor made an ultra wide plex 40x after the plex 40x for the same reason. The speeds would be the same on both drives. So whats with that?

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I noticed when i posted this, that the statement:

"The ASUS DVD-E616 leads other DVD-ROM drives by utilizing ATA/100 data transfer speeds, the fastest transfer interface to date."

is wrong. ATA-133 was invented by maxtor. I read it right here in toms hard news. I must admit I don't think it is implemented anywhere yet.

DISTURBED

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I'd buy it if only I could find a place that sold it (I live in Sydney, Australia)...so I guess I'll have to settle for a 116 or 106.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Dude, soon a DVD drive from Afreey will woop the LTD's ass. 25xDVD/100xCD, and yes it will be running ata100 (considering teh transfer rate of teh DVD at 25x is like 40 or 50MB.)

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
"Dude, soon a DVD drive from Afreey will woop the LTD's ass. 25xDVD/100xCD"

Thanks for this info, but even with the higher speeds, the ltd-163 has special unsupported abilities the new drive may not have, and the Afreey CD-2056E currently has the fastest DAE available, but if it hits any errors it slows down a whole lot, also it isn't that good at reading CD-RWs. I'm not saying they're new drive will have the same problems, but when reading at that speed I wouldn't be suprised. Also even though it may be really fast, it may have built in crap that makes you able to rip video only at 2x even though it is a 48x, or something like the Toshiba drives, even though I doubt that.

Before this new drive is declared the best it will have to match up with the special ltd-163 specs (cdrinfo.com):

- Reads SubChannel data from data/audio tracks
- Best Data/DAE performance around
- Very good DAE quality
- Superb DVD ripping speed
-Supports 90 and 99min CDs without any problems