Sign in with
Your question
Closed

APU Question

Last response: in CPUs
December 9, 2012 8:26:25 PM

Does the on-die GPU on a Trinity APU serve any purpose other than rendering graphics? In other words, if the on-die GPU is replaced by a discrete card (and not using dual graphics), does the on-die GPU assist the CPU in any manner? Or is it completely useless then?

More about : apu question

a c 152 à CPUs
December 9, 2012 10:46:51 PM

box o rocks said:
Does the on-die GPU on a Trinity APU serve any purpose other than rendering graphics? In other words, if the on-die GPU is replaced by a discrete card (and not using dual graphics), does the on-die GPU assist the CPU in any manner? Or is it completely useless then?

It depends. If you install a discrete video card you can do hybrid crossfire. This will use both the integrated graphics and the dedicated graphics. However you can only hybrid crossfire up to a Radeon 6670 any higher video card will disable hybrid crossfire. Also if you use two seperate discrete video cards in standard crossfire that will also disable. You can also use the integrated graphics on it's own as you would with an Intel CPU.
Score
December 10, 2012 2:01:52 AM

rds1220 said:
It depends. If you install a discrete video card you can do hybrid crossfire. This will use both the integrated graphics and the dedicated graphics. However you can only hybrid crossfire up to a Radeon 6670 any higher video card will disable hybrid crossfire. Also if you use two seperate discrete video cards in standard crossfire that will also disable. You can also use the integrated graphics on it's own as you would with an Intel CPU.

Apparently I didn't word my question understandable enough. I know about Dual Graphics. I was asking if the on-die GPU was used for any other purpose than rendering graphics. If I went with a discrete card instead of using the on-die HD 7660, would the on-die GPU be turned off, or would it still be of some use in other data processing?
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a c 478 à CPUs
December 10, 2012 2:21:38 AM

No. The only purpose is graphics.
a c 152 à CPUs
December 10, 2012 2:42:52 AM

box o rocks said:
Apparently I didn't word my question understandable enough. I know about Dual Graphics. I was asking if the on-die GPU was used for any other purpose than rendering graphics. If I went with a discrete card instead of using the on-die HD 7660, would the on-die GPU be turned off, or would it still be of some use in other data processing?

O, no as jaguar said it's only purpose is graphics.
Score
December 17, 2012 5:10:33 PM

Best answer selected by box o rocks.
Score
!