Closed Solved

APU Question

Does the on-die GPU on a Trinity APU serve any purpose other than rendering graphics? In other words, if the on-die GPU is replaced by a discrete card (and not using dual graphics), does the on-die GPU assist the CPU in any manner? Or is it completely useless then?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question
  1. box o rocks said:
    Does the on-die GPU on a Trinity APU serve any purpose other than rendering graphics? In other words, if the on-die GPU is replaced by a discrete card (and not using dual graphics), does the on-die GPU assist the CPU in any manner? Or is it completely useless then?


    It depends. If you install a discrete video card you can do hybrid crossfire. This will use both the integrated graphics and the dedicated graphics. However you can only hybrid crossfire up to a Radeon 6670 any higher video card will disable hybrid crossfire. Also if you use two seperate discrete video cards in standard crossfire that will also disable. You can also use the integrated graphics on it's own as you would with an Intel CPU.
  2. rds1220 said:
    It depends. If you install a discrete video card you can do hybrid crossfire. This will use both the integrated graphics and the dedicated graphics. However you can only hybrid crossfire up to a Radeon 6670 any higher video card will disable hybrid crossfire. Also if you use two seperate discrete video cards in standard crossfire that will also disable. You can also use the integrated graphics on it's own as you would with an Intel CPU.

    Apparently I didn't word my question understandable enough. I know about Dual Graphics. I was asking if the on-die GPU was used for any other purpose than rendering graphics. If I went with a discrete card instead of using the on-die HD 7660, would the on-die GPU be turned off, or would it still be of some use in other data processing?
  3. Best answer
    No. The only purpose is graphics.
  4. box o rocks said:
    Apparently I didn't word my question understandable enough. I know about Dual Graphics. I was asking if the on-die GPU was used for any other purpose than rendering graphics. If I went with a discrete card instead of using the on-die HD 7660, would the on-die GPU be turned off, or would it still be of some use in other data processing?


    O, no as jaguar said it's only purpose is graphics.
  5. Best answer selected by box o rocks.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs GPUs Graphics